Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MerryMary

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 3:39am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
God knows, I am trying. Perhaps we should invite E.E. Grey over for a visit. On the other hand, only IBM Selectrics for him. Can't use those red Sharpies on the old computer screen...[/i]

ysabella

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 9:22pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
I think it was Stephen Wright who said "I have a typewriter that's so old, it types in pencil."

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 7:14pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Today I saw a Mac outside a shop for the first time ever (it was in a lab at uni). I don't know anyone who owns a Mac or even wants one. Everyone owns PCs (though I also know a few people who don't like Mac or Windows and prefer other OSs such as Linux). I don't have an iPod either. I have a Sony Flash. I prefer Sony when it comes to portable music (walkman, discman, mp3 player), whenever I buy any other brand it kacks out after a few months while the Sony ones last for years. I could do with a bigger mp3 player though, mine's only 2GB.

Assuming direct control...

MerryMary

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 11:53pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
I am beginning to feel terribly lonely.

Phlizz

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 12:33am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
"Hello I'm a Mac"

Actually, I'm not, but my computer is. He's an Intel Apple iMac with OSX 10.4.7 (Tiger) and he's totally fab. In fact, I love him so much, my shoes now look like this:

Heh - and my friends think I'm obsessed - pfft!

El
xxx

ysabella

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 1:22am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Heh. User-friendly shoes.

I keep thinking of these Apple Fun Factoids. I grew up in Silicon Valley, after all.

Apple Factoid #1: There is a triangular building near the intersection of Lawrence Expressway and 280, quite near HP headquarters. An Apple logo appeared on the top floor on the Interstate 280 side of the building, stayed for a few years in the early 80s (when Merrill Lynch occupied the lower floors, as I recall), and later went away. Eventually I heard that was where the team was that designed the first Macintosh (I don't know where the Lisa was developed). So there you go, Mac lovers - that's where it was hatched.

Apple Factoid #2: My oldest brother works at Apple (he does compilers). He also sometimes wears skirts instead of pants. He has worn skirts to work, and one time passed Steve Jobs in the hall. He later heard from a colleague who had been to a management meeting where they had been talking about workplace diversity, and Steve Jobs had piped up "We even have men wearing skirts working here!"

MerryMary

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 2:20am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Thank you both. I was beginning to feel marginalized, like the planet Pluto, which we've been informed is not actually a planet.

ysabella

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 6:43am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
http://plutoneverforget.com/

MerryMary

Posted Sun Apr 29th, 2007 8:16pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Yes! Dr. Bronners. Reading the one gallon container can draw out a bath for a good while.

Thx for the link! Poor Pluto. What becomes of western asotrology now? Perhaps the Vedic method dispensed with Pluto?

ysabella

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 8:14am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Heh, that it would. All-one! All-one! Dilute! Dilute! OK!

I read that bit on a quart-sized bottle, years ago. I've been looking for it again, but haven't found that phrase. The bottles are a little different these days, and Dr.Bronner himself has passed on.

Apple Factoid #3: There was once a research facility known as Xerox PARC. It's still there, but sort of different from what it was. Researchers came up with some great ideas...including the GUI and the mouse.
The problem was, Xerox couldn't see the marketability in some of these items, or didn't want to develop them into products themselves. They made a deal with Apple where engineers visited and the team that created the GUI and mouse showed it to them. The team felt like they were forced to give their idea away, so they were disgruntled. And then Microsoft got into the GUI game...really, the whole beginnings of the GUI are quite contentious.
Other inventions that came from PARC were Ethernet, the first real object-oriented language (Smalltalk), and the WSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get).

MerryMary

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 4:38pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
God rest Dr. Bronner in his clean, well diluted bath. I prefered the peppermint. In fact, we still keep a small bottle in the car-camping chuck box.

So, Apple... You know, you are awfully close to the Dark Lord up there in Olympia. Do be careful. You also know perfectly well that anyone within fifty miles of Cupertino must sign an oath of alligence to Apple, as well as Pixar and LucasFilms, lest some awful thing happen, such a a tanker exploding on the McArthur Maze at 3am on a Sunday morning, melting and collapsing an overpass to the Bay Bridge, and throwing commuter traffic into a tizzy. Oh. I guess that did happen. See what I mean? It's the heretics who caused this!

I live fewer than six blocks from the new Yodaland in the Presidio Nat'l Park, so I must be very, very careful, lest I get sucked up onto some green screen or shrunk into a battle model.

Thx for the Pluto link. Terribly shocking.

ysabella

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 4:19am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Don't worry. Olympia has a Granola Force Field. Plus, the state government. We're totally insulated from anything resembling technical progress!

I mentioned one brother who works at Apple, but I have another who worked at Microsoft for six years. He took a few years off working...I guess those stock options worked out well for him.

Fun Apple Factoid #4: In earlier, heady days of supercomputers, there was the original Cray. Apple used to own a Cray Supercomputer, and they painted it purple. I actually saw it once, when one brother was working on site at an Apple building (on a contract). It was visible down a dramatically lit hallway. I remember, all the conference rooms in that building were named for parts of Disneyland - Tomorrowland was a glassed-in conference room, and Fantasyland was the highly-secured one.

Un-Apple-related, Cray Research had some trouble; it wasn't making money, and got picked up by SGI. Then the founder (Seymour Cray) was killed in a car accident. In 2000, another supercomputer company called Tera Computer bought Cray and now operates under the name Cray, Inc.
I mention this because I interviewed at Tera in 1996 or so, when I was nearly done with my degree. I didn't get the job, but frankly, I was chuffed just to get the interview, as pretty much everyone there was a PhD. I was finishing my Bachelor's, but really fit the job description (due to studying functional programming and AI). So I've always taken an interest in how they went along. I thought it was very cool when they bought Cray.

MerryMary

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 5:14am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Don't worry. Olympia has a Granola Force Field. Plus, the state government. We're totally insulated from anything resembling technical progress!

Fun Apple Factoid #4:...... It was visible down a dramatically lit hallway. I remember, all the conference rooms in that building were named for parts of Disneyland - Tomorrowland was a glassed-in conference room, and Fantasyland was the highly-secured one.

Un-Apple-related, Cray Research.... I thought it was very cool when they bought Cray.

Just as in the Psalter, you take the first line, and I will alternate:

1. Good to know that the GFF is fully functional. Assuming no interference by inclement weather? Reinforcements are at the ready should you need them/it.

2. Of course. Wonder what happens in Frontierland...I think there was a good deal of agriculture involved in the process, if you get my point.

3. Silicon Valley genealogy is filed with incestuous lineage. Too many Steves.

Let us say together
We thank Thee for Thy abundance of Tuesday nights, and offer praise for
thy good gifts of "House" and "Boston Legal." May light perpetual shine
upon them.
Amen.

Must go rev up the DVD recorder!

ysabella

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 6:50am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
And also with you.

Phlizz

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 8:57am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Do you not think you forgot something?

Let me add (if I may) : Mac be with you...

Ohhh and House: Is that just wrong?!