Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:14am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Confused of Cheltenham...

I was thinking that 'WA' was Western Australia, but I also get the impression, Ysabella, that you are in the lee of various iconic buildings of the development of the Etherweb, right there in Psilicosis Valley?

I want to know what you were saying in the little pic!

Years ago, before I got into racing, I worked for Singer in UK doing microfilm, and in the machine room next door they were so proud of their new 360/50. It used to hum and whirr and chug along all night. Thought I was on the USS Enterprise.

I have a Macintosh IIci. It can't talk to anything and doesn't really think very quickly. I'd love to link it to a modern output device so I could use it for fun, and see what I used to write about in 1982. It seems to have a language of its own.

I use a FS laptop the last 3 years, but am about to buy a Macbook Pro to use as well, for more unboundaried stuff than my college work and bank and so on. Stuff like idea development and communication and all limitless things like that. But then, I thought I was a child until she turned and smiled, I thought that I was free, but I'm just one more prisoner of time, alone within the boundaries of my mind. Good job I'll have a Mac then!

And being Gemini I can vote Windows and Mac!!

Clearly of a scientific bent that you are, what do you think of my Unified Theory of Goldfish Memory (in Pets)? It's a serious point, but like most things Goldfish, it's not being taken as a serious point, simply as a (probably not very!) funny story.

Chris of the final great frontier

MerryMary

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:01pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Do you not think you forgot something?

Let me add (if I may) : Mac be with you...

Ohhh and House: Is that just wrong?!
Let us pray? Amen?

I am confused by your House comment? My two vices are so conveniently
scheduled for a pleasurable Tuesday evening.

Secret Princess

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:11pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
I have windows but I much prefer apple

ysabella

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 1:33am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Confused of Cheltenham...

I was thinking that 'WA' was Western Australia, but I also get the impression, Ysabella, that you are in the lee of various iconic buildings of the development of the Etherweb, right there in Psilicosis Valley?
I should have realized there could be confusion! My apologies.

I live near Seattle, in Washington state, USA (map showing where). But I grew up in the Silicon Valley, specifically in San Jose, California, and my mom still lives there so I go down there a couple of times every year.

Clearly of a scientific bent that you are, what do you think of my Unified Theory of Goldfish Memory (in Pets)? It's a serious point, but like most things Goldfish, it's not being taken as a serious point, simply as a (probably not very!) funny story.

Some kind of collective long-term memory among goldfish? Maybe they built that at the expense of their short-term memory, which is tiny, or so they say. To quote a line from a song by Ani DiFranco -

they say goldfish have no memory
i guess their lives are much like mine
the little plastic castle
is a surprise every time
it's hard to say if they are happy
but they don't seem much to mind

ysabella

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 1:46am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Let us pray? Amen?

I'm just imagining the hymns we should have.

Oh tube from whom all blessings flow
Watch it all creatures here below
Satellites above, ye heavenly host
To Prime Time let us drink a toast.

Although I should admit, I don't actually have cable or anything. I just watch DVDs. If I had live TV I don't think I'd ever get anything done. So I guess I'm not paying the tithes.

All shows bright and beautiful, all sitcoms great and small...

MerryMary

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 1:47am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Smug private ( in the American meaning ) high school spawn with school-issued PC is suffering from prolific pop-ups and other annoyances. The IT guy is wearing cranky pants because so many of the students are experiencing this problem. The little twits do not believe in computer condoms and practicing safe computing. They will learn.

Meanwhile, smug mother's Macs are free of all that. So satisfying for a praent to have the last word with a teenager!

MerryMary

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 1:57am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk

I'm just imagining the hymns we should have.

Oh tube from whom all blessings flow
Watch it all creatures here below
Satellites above, ye heavenly host
To Prime Time let us drink a toast.

Although I should admit, I don't actually have cable or anything. I just watch DVDs. If I had live TV I don't think I'd ever get [i]anything
done. So I guess I'm not paying the tithes.

All shows bright and beautiful, all sitcoms great and small..

Love it! Will pass your doxology to the choirmaster. He is a serious user.

Remember that tithing is 10% of "time, talent & treasure" in whatever available form is convenient. Maybe volunteer for Project Connect one Saturday, or something similar.

Phlizz

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 1:13am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
have windows but I much prefer apple
Well, if you didn't have windows, you'd not be able to see out of your house Which reminds me... has anyone seen
this video on YouTube, I think it has to be one of the funniest things I have seen (ok, yeah, I'm easily amused) - particularly the bit about "baby music" X-D X-D X-D

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 2:17am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
He He

I feel as if, with the current Ysabella/Merry Mary dialogue i am party to something eminently mysterious and technofabulous but completely unfathomable. Wonderful; apart from Bushbaby (Shrub?) and those dang unintelligent designers, America is truly the Land of the Marvelous.

C

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 2:22am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
And, Philzz, as far as Windows is concerned in the 17th century in England they .... who? .... the lawmakers .... taxed windows and lots of them closed, rather like Windows these days on a bad night.

ysabella

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 7:56am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
He He

I feel as if, with the current Ysabella/Merry Mary dialogue i am party to something eminently mysterious and technofabulous but completely unfathomable. Wonderful; apart from Bushbaby (Shrub?) and those dang unintelligent designers, America is truly the Land of the Marvelous.

Heh, thanks for that. Believe me, I am not into that intelligent design crap. And I think that's more of a minority than people realize - just a very vocal minority.

Phlizz

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 8:18am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
I know - it's like some exotic flower unfurling her petals right before us isn't it?

And, Philzz, as far as Windows is concerned in the 17th century in England they .... who? .... the lawmakers .... taxed windows and lots of them closed, rather like Windows these days on a bad night.

Just the way it should be! You don't see taxes on apples now do you?! No, because they're seen as an essential item

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 11:32am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
And I think that's more of a minority than people realize - just a very vocal minority.

Thats the impression i get.

I could always see where you were coming from with ID, no fear of that

MerryMary

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 3:38pm Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
But then, there is a tax on Macs. What to make of it?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 10:15am Post subject: Apple/Mac Talk
Man in New York with a cigarette -

Have you got a light, mac?

No, but I've got a dark brown overcoat!

Viv Stanshall