Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

masquerade

Posted Mon Dec 31st, 2007 4:05pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
I have 5 A level modules in January (AS French oral retake, AS psychology core studies x2 because I had tonsillitis, A2 health psychology and A2 English). ARGH!!!

Unfortunately - maybe due to my depression, I don't know - I suffer from a complete lack of ability to concentrate when it comes to working out of the classroom. I have a week until my AS modules and I promised myself I would revise at least an hour of French and an hour of psychology per day of the holidays because I really need good grades (I want to study law at Southampton and I need 3 As at A2 to get on the course). Somehow, though, I sit down and vow I'm going to study before promptly doing something else.

Before my A levels, I never needed to study. I got 5 A*s and 4 As in my GCSEs without revising at all, and a lot of the time not paying much attention in class either. When it got to A levels, I suddenly realised that I actually needed to work, but it just doesn't sink in, and for the past year and a half I've felt ridiculously inadequate because I cannot study.

Does anybody else get the same thing? Anyone have any tips that might help me to actually do some work for a change?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Dec 31st, 2007 5:21pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
When it comes to the A-level psychology exams just revise the names and dates of each study and a summary of what they did. The rest you can wing because you're evaluating. If you understand how to evaluate studies you'll have no problem as you do that in every exam at some point. That's all I did and I got an A.

I found doing an AVCE a trickier transition than the normal A-levels. An AVCE is mostly coursework and I found it difficult at first to organise my time properly to get it done.

For many people the bigger shock is the change from A-level to university. I remember the day we had our first essay of the year due and the lecturer referred to it and then there were people all over the lecture hall freaking out because they didn't know. They'd expected us to go through the assignments in class but you rarely ever do. Most lecturers just leave you to it and expect you to find out what you have to do by yourself and get on with it.

Assuming direct control...

joan

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 6:22am Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
It might help if you work out a good exam technique - you know, think of the poor sod who has to mark the thing, and make it easy to read and follow.

Many years ago that got me through O level maths, my most hopeless subject.

Oh, and about the inablilty to apply yorself to study and revision - just tell yourself you'll do a tiny amount of something specific. Then your procrastinator self won't stop your other self from getting started. Then you might do more.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 11:10am Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Doing everything in little bites and sections at a time makes the workload easier. That's how I learnt to cope with the coursework. The first piece I struggled to get done on time because I just saw it as one big thing that needed to be done. From then on I broke the coursework down into small individual tasks so I could do one a week and by doing that it wasn't as daunting and got done in no time. For exam revision do the same. Just focus on one subject and one topic per revision session. It'll be easier to soak up then trying to do a bit of everything in a session.

masquerade

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 2:12pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Thanks, I shall attempt to do something this afternoon. -crosses fingers-

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 1:26pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Are you enjoying studying psychology masquerade? Which is your favourite type of psychology?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 2:21pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Exams are always fun I have two As exams coming up, one on the 10th and one on the 14th. I failed them last year but with different subjects, if they were at any other time in the year it wouldn't be so bad but right now my concentration levels are really low.

Thankfully Psychology isn't going to be too bad because i'm just evaluating and ICT should be ok, it's similar to my GCSE level.

Good Luck with yours Masquerade!

masquerade

Posted Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 6:52pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Yes, amyl, I love psychology... unfortunately the A2 exams are very daunting because of the sheer number of studies we have to learn about!

Thanks lauz_ma, you too! Are you doing the research methods paper?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 7:00pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Oh gawd I know. My memories of second year is a blur of studies revolving round things like health advice and encouragement to go to the dentist and use a condom. Loads of locus of control and self-efficacy stuff. Oh and stress. Bloody stress and pain management. *gritsteeth*

I've always had a preference for developmental and social psychology though by 2005 I'd developed a liking for cognitive as well. Studying cognitive modelling through application on computers helped it to gel more easily in my mind and made it more interesting then dry dusty textbooks with strange diagrams and dull sounding studies. Now I get muchmore excited about it.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 9:36pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Masquerade- I'm not sure, i have to evaluate the four studies that i did. A questionnaire, observation, collection of data looking at differences in two conditions and a collection of data involving two independant variables.

masquerade

Posted Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 11:12pm Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Yeah I know the one you mean lauz_ma, I did it last January and it's the easiest one by far.

Amyl, that sounds exactly right... I'm not really interested in the things I'm getting taught about health psychology. At least we're doing criminal psychology as the last module, which will hopefull be useful for me whether it's interesting or not! With my personal experiences, I'm much more interested in abnormal psychology than anything else because I want to know why people have illnesses like depression.

Amnesiac

Posted Fri Jan 4th, 2008 12:03am Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
I have the exact same problem with concentration. I end up writing my uni assessments on the morning that they are due in, which adds to stress, yet I have such a problem focussing.

What I tried, and what seems to work, is writing out a realistic work plan for the day, write each thing on a separate post-it note, and stick them on the wall above my desk. Then as I finish the tasks, I can take them off the wall. It's sort of cathartic. As the notes are thrown away, so are your worries.

At least to me. I hope you find a technique which works for you.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Jan 4th, 2008 9:10am Post subject: ARGH!!! I HATE EXAMS!!!!!
Masquerade- I'm not sure, i have to evaluate the four studies that i did. A questionnaire, observation, collection of data looking at differences in two conditions and a collection of data involving two independant variables.

Paper 3 - Psychological Investigations. Man that was an easy paper! Wonderful. I do so enjoy research methods. I want to teach psychology at university, or at a college if I can't get into a uni. I'd love to teach research methods.

Though saying that you think that one was easy you should've seen the psychology exam I had to do at the end of my first year of uni which was at Bradford (then I transferred). I had to do a multiple choice exam. Seriously. Bradford are never going to get BPS approval if they keep doing stuff like that.

Amyl, that sounds exactly right... I'm not really interested in the things I'm getting taught about health psychology. At least we're doing criminal psychology as the last module, which will hopefull be useful for me whether it's interesting or not! With my personal experiences, I'm much more interested in abnormal psychology than anything else because I want to know why people have illnesses like depression.

No fair! I wanted to do the crime module so much because I was doing crime and deviance in sociology it would've helped so much but no instead I had to do the environment. *sulksandpouts*

I never did much abnormal psychology in my degree. It was among the final year options and they were highly popular. I went down the unpopular route of psychology with technology so I got to learn about educational technology, cognitive modelling, artifical intelligence and technological determinism (aka neo luddites). I loved it to bits, it was the best and it even inspired my dissertation.