Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Jape

Posted Tue Jun 10th, 2008 2:18am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
Goodday to you all!

The title says it all really. I have just helped to start up the Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry and I want you to join! To spread the word! We currently only have a page and we hope you'll come along and add the group, and pass it along.

A website should shortly be up and from there several projects are in the pipeline to help raise awareness of probably the most important issue in this world... for hardcore Stephen Fry fans. Ahem.

All help and ideas are extremly welcome as we hope to bestow upon our favourite gentleman the honour of Knighthood!

Naturally this will lead into a Lordship, International Airport, Star, and Fastfood Chain.

Thank you all very much, I hope you'll hop along and give your two cents

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15350074804

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jun 10th, 2008 7:34am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
i wish good luck to you...

but i think i'm out cause
i'm an american...?

unless he wants to be knighted in my yard. i don't have a sword though.
just a multi tool. will that work?

Jape

Posted Tue Jun 10th, 2008 7:45am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
I think we'll stick to traditional methods for now, but if a Plan B is needed we'll fly Mr. Fry straight over to Okie and eventually your yard X-D

fryfan20

Posted Tue Jun 10th, 2008 10:26am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
sir stephen fry, like the sound of that

I am what I am

Gayalondiel

Posted Tue Jun 10th, 2008 2:59pm Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry

i'm an american...?

We don't really get to vote, you know. The Queen gets to choose (through her servant the PM naturally), the best way to get knighted is to give the Labour gvt a lot of money.

Jape

Posted Wed Jun 11th, 2008 3:10pm Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
I'm extremly unimpressed by the response

C'mon surely this must be the Fryite bastion!

harbour

Posted Fri Jun 13th, 2008 8:03pm Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
I don't know the exact critera for choosing who is enobled and who is not, but I am bewildered as to why exactly he hasn't been knighted already.
It's glaringly obvious that he's one of the most brilliant British men alive today, so what's the deal?
But fear not, Jape. I have the feeling that we will live to witness the day he is introduced as 'Sir Stephen Fry'.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Jun 14th, 2008 4:30am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry

i'm an american...?

We don't really get to vote, you know. The Queen gets to choose (through her servant the PM naturally), the best way to get knighted is to give the Labour gvt a lot of money.

you vote for other things, i hope?!

i get to vote for two nations. nyah nyah nyah.

Gayalondiel

Posted Sat Jun 14th, 2008 9:37am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
I'd like to say we do get to vote on other things, but we're being disallowed a vote on Europe and I don't feel particularly represented by the present administratino. The problem with democracy is that everyone who votes for the losing candidte is not represented.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Jun 14th, 2008 3:00pm Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
I'd like to say we do get to vote on other things, but we're being disallowed a vote on Europe and I don't feel particularly represented by the present administratino. The problem with democracy is that everyone who votes for the losing candidte is not represented.

depends how the vote is set up. i don't know what the system in england is like, but i read a book about the mathematics of elections and the US's sometimes doesn't represent everyone well at all. it has to do with some things that SOUND very sensible, but mathematically don't work out well. i don't still have the book :-// or i could be less vague! all the possible mathematical setups have some problems, but it'd be worth seeing how other setups work...especially if a state or two tries it out first for local elections.

democracy can and will work out though. the people who laid all the first rules down expected all of us to go back and edit it when necessary...so if we have ANOTHER election that's dead even or full of foul play, i hope that things get changed.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Jun 14th, 2008 3:34pm Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry

depends how the vote is set up. i don't know what the system in england is like, but i read a book about the mathematics of elections and the US's sometimes doesn't represent everyone well at all. it has to do with some things that SOUND very sensible, but mathematically don't work out well. i don't still have the book :-// or i could be less vague! all the possible mathematical setups have some problems, but it'd be worth seeing how other setups work...especially if a state or two tries it out first for local elections.

democracy can and will work out though. the people who laid all the first rules down expected all of us to go back and edit it when necessary...so if we have ANOTHER election that's dead even or full of foul play, i hope that things get changed.

The electoral college, time for bye-bye.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

JSKanga84

Posted Sat Jun 14th, 2008 10:11pm Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
hear, hear!!
The way it was explained to me, here in the US, the voters vote for the candidate, and whoever wins in that state, their party sends a specific number of delegates to the electoral college where the president is actually elected. The problem is, there's such a polarity that most states are completely predictable in the way that they will vote and which party will send delegates to the electoral college. So basically, the entire election outcome is decided by only a handful of states.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jun 15th, 2008 2:11am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
hear, hear!!
The way it was explained to me, here in the US, the voters vote for the candidate, and whoever wins in that state, their party sends a specific number of delegates to the electoral college where the president is actually elected. The problem is, there's such a polarity that most states are completely predictable in the way that they will vote and which party will send delegates to the electoral college. So basically, the entire election outcome is decided by only a handful of states.

you're right, it's a mess. i understand why each state has thier particular # of delegates, but
i've never understood why they don't split the delegates up...you know, 6 for one, 4 for the other? if the vote in that state were 60% / 40%? a lot of primaries are like that.

(or am i stupid and it's like that already? i think in the general election it's all del. go to the winner of the state...so for instance, if you look at a county by county map of ok, it's not all red at all! but it's 60% red, so then it's ALL red )

I'M SORRY JAPE!!! i fear the electoral college will derail your knighthood campaign! :-// my apologies. continue, please

Runrabbit

Posted Sun Jun 15th, 2008 12:27pm Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
I came across a petition for this with 1848 signatures on the PM's website below.

Its open until 21st August if any one wants to add their name. I think you have to be a UK resident.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all........
(unless you're in a debate of course)

Mandibles

Posted Mon Jun 16th, 2008 9:41am Post subject: Arise Sir Stephen! Campaign to Enoble Stephen Fry
Even if Stephen IS offered a much deserved Knighthood, will he accept it? It's my view that he is a very modest man and I could see him politely declining it should the offer ever come up.

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.