Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MrCartoonguy

Posted Fri Dec 17th, 2010 4:55pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

Apparently, people who experience the manic depressive journey on the bipolar express are known for their creativity. Certainly, we do have a writers thread on here which does reveal some tasty reading. However, I would love to see some of your art work if that is permitted here?
Can we, as a Bipolar collective, a manic depressive national community share and reflect? Or would this all crumble and fall apart?

I am an amateur painter and I feel that I may be inspired by others here.
If it is possible can we post photo's of our art or post links to websites that do?

All the best

Reality is contigent; the only permanent concept in the multiverse is change - death. We are born into it and it follows us.

katysara

Posted Fri Dec 17th, 2010 5:38pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

Your work is amazing MrCartoonGuy, and yes, art work is permitted here.

To post an image put [IMG] then in here put the url that is the copy of the art work's position and then close with [/IMG]

I will sticky it if the thread gets going.

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

Susanne85

Posted Fri Dec 17th, 2010 7:59pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

Ooooh this is cool thx mr cartoonguy for bringing this up.

This is my website on deviantart: http://suus85.deviantart.com/

I am an amateur but it's my dream to go to art school and become a prof.

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 5:23pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

@ Katy thank you for supporting this endeavour and for compliments on my pictures. I will post some on here soon when I get a brain cell to fire logically enough.Too thick with computers....I do not know what a sticky is or a url....will consider.

@Su I looked at the deviant art portfolio. Thank you for putting the link on! I am very pleased that someone has taken interest. I like your art very much. I like the abstractness and how you have played with texture, colour, shapes, cartooniness, people and emotion into your work.
I get the feeling of expressiveness in what you do as well as confidence to do what you like which makes an an artist.

Reality is contigent; the only permanent concept in the multiverse is change - death. We are born into it and it follows us.

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 6:25pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 6:27pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 6:29pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 6:30pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 6:31pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 6:32pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 6:39pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

There's a few of what I have done. Still planning on experimenting and doing what I have recently felt inspired to do. A couple of these are pieces that feel right to have painted. The others were self development and practice as I have been painting well under a year. Just over six months so I do not have many.

I have a (very old) cartoon website (with very early work)because all I used to do was draw cartoons. The humour is not the norm: http://www.mrcartoonscartoons.piczo.com

Thank you and I would love more people to share.

buttons_37

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 7:31pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy said:

I can still do that!

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sat Dec 18th, 2010 8:37pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

excellent

MrCartoonguy

Posted Sun Dec 19th, 2010 3:15pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

@ Susanne 85...I wish I could do those drawings. The colours and the way you do it is very impressive. You said you did it with biro! Excellent expressionism! I wish I could do something in your style one day but I would not know how to start because it is not my language. It seems free just as words are spoken.
I wonder if you have ever got a plain canvas and washed a background with acrylic or gouache and then drawn on top of it in this style before?
What do you think of that idea?

Susanne85

Posted Sun Dec 19th, 2010 3:38pm Post subject: Art and manic depression/bipolar

MrCartoonguy said:
@ Susanne 85...I wish I could do those drawings. The colours and the way you do it is very impressive. You said you did it with biro! Excellent expressionism! I wish I could do something in your style one day but I would not know how to start because it is not my language. It seems free just as words are spoken.
I wonder if you have ever got a plain canvas and washed a background with acrylic or gouache and then drawn on top of it in this style before?
What do you think of that idea?

Don't steal my style man! (just joking) I just sit and look at a blank paper and I see al these things and then I draw them

It's funny that you bring the idea of making a big painting of it up, because that's exactly what I am doing now as for my next step. The green one on my profile (titled: Kill them men) was my first attempt. But now I am making big ones in the style of the drawings you talk about. It's a bit scary because it's such a big canvas but I think it's gonna work out

Thank you for your interest in my work and for your kind words.

I am now going to look at your website because I'm curious what kind of cartoons you make

P.S. I really like the painting of the guy with the green hat on