Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Peachy Keenan

Posted Thu May 7th, 2009 3:56pm Post subject: Article in the Guardian
The letter he wrote when he was 16... wow. It is so sad. The hurt and anger, built up inside must be so heavy on the heart . One wonders if any teenager going through the pain of being in love and feeling hopeless would probably write the same thing. I kinda wish Stephen was able to go back in time and tell him exactly the what he wrote in his reply.
It is so kind and reassuring, like he's talking to his own child, in a way.

Twittering @peachykeenan!

mstislaw

Posted Tue Aug 31st, 2010 6:57am Post subject: Article in the Guardian

Hello to all!
First of all, I just want to say that I am very proud of being member of this fantastic community of Stephen Fry's admirers.
About this article...There, at Guardian, it says that "...this is an edited version of an article from the 25th-birthday edition of Gay Times". Does anybody have a full article from the "Gay Times"?

pebbles

Posted Tue Aug 31st, 2010 1:02pm Post subject: Article in the Guardian

Sadly I only know this version (and why did they need to come up with that title??), would love to read the full letter too... But it's beautiful even when edited.

Actually, for me it's been the other way around. As a teenager I desperately craved a type of authenticity that I now, at 27, have in spades. Nothing glorious about that of course. I've simply dropped most of the many, many masks because it turned out that the world doesn't give a sh*t anyway. That sounds melodramatic but it's mostly been a huge relief. And no, I wouldn't go back to that hell for anything.

But that doesn't matter, the important thing is that he hasn't forgotten that the pain was real...he wouldn't be Stephen Fry if he had. I'm always shocked at how quickly other young adults start talking about teenagers as if they came from another galaxy. It's rather scary for those of us who are less than socially graceful. If you can't even empathise with a life you've lived yourself, what chance do I, with all my weirdness, ever stand of escaping your judgement? Sometimes I'd love to hide under Stephen's sofa for a bit ...and not only to look at his funny socks.

Stepherweps

Posted Wed Sep 15th, 2010 12:17pm Post subject: Article in the Guardian

What a wonderful letter, Mr Fry really does have a way with words. I find it very touching that when he writes, he is so brutally honest, it's really refreshing...

If you are a tweeter, and wanna follow me, I'm @Stepherweps on twitter.