Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

fryfan20

Posted Wed Jan 28th, 2009 11:09pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
they already are driving in England and Spain but here we first have to discuss it. whether it is allowed on a bus because buses are from us all.
I am talking about the promotion of Atheism, with catchy slogans on buses.
I am for it, let them come
religious slogans are allowed everywhere and if one would even suggest on banning them anywhere, there will be a drama. and people will scream religious freedom from the rooftops.
I don't think atheism shouldn't be treated any different then other religions.

I am what I am

PamJH

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 12:26am Post subject: atheism on the bus
You know, I'm not so sure an atheism bus would go over well here, either. I don't think anyone would attack the bus physically, but we'd certainly hear some nasty, uninformed comments.

I'd love to see it and talk to the people involved. But I can't imagine such a thing happening.

Pam

Nitro

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 1:39am Post subject: atheism on the bus
I understand what you are saying about equal time, but the idea of seeing atheist slogans doesn't appeal to me very much. And I'm an atheist.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 2:21am Post subject: atheism on the bus
I understand what you are saying about equal time, but the idea of seeing atheist slogans doesn't appeal to me very much. And I'm an atheist.

You might be right about this, now that I think about it, I wish we could all respect each other's beliefs so that no one feels compelled to shout them to the rooftops.

joan

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 5:02am Post subject: atheism on the bus
I find some so-called Christian slogans offensive. How dare they preach to me from bill boards! The world has been harmed by religiosity over the centuries - let the atheists have their say. Whether they are right or wrong, they do no harm.

joan

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 5:11am Post subject: atheism on the bus
PS
Imagine if the buses displaying the advert also played John Lennon's 'Imagine' to the passengers.....lovely thought. (The song just came on the radio, hence the thought)

Maxx England

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 2:43pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
Let the atheists have their say, God knows they've earned it

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

smilla.jaspersen

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 3:26pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
i think the slogan "there's probably no god. now stop worrying and enjoy your life" is silly because it makes no sense at all. an atheist would never use the word "probably" in this sentence. an atheist says, "there is no god." an agnostic uses words such as "probably" or "maybe" because he isn't "quite sure" about the [non-]existence of something called "god". just call me a know-it-all but this slogan is totally half-assed ... and i hate half-assed. well, maybe these guys were too scared to skip the "probably" and decided to give it a liberal touch. X-D

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 3:40pm Post subject: atheism on the bus

i think the slogan "there's probably no god. now stop worrying and enjoy your life" is silly because it makes no sense at all.

I would say it does. any people do ponder the basic points of existential philosophy and theology while wandering around, and some may even worry about it - the point of the slogan is that you should just stop worrying about what might be, and focus on what is. I agree though, the slogan is more agnostic than atheist in tone.

And pah. Liberals.

smilla.jaspersen

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 6:31pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
i only meant this sentence on the "atheist versus agnostic" level. i actually do like the real message of the slogan. it's also nice to see that the "non-believers" are finally coming out - i just think it would be braver to articulate a clear "there is no god - period." .... ahhh wait, it's a "british humanist association" compaign. well, i'm a convinced humanist myself but i really don't understand what humanism has to do with atheism. i will think about it later ...

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 6:52pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
Yeah, I'm not sure where they got the idea that humanism and atheism are the same thing either.

RobertBruce

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 7:11pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
PS Imagine if the buses displaying the advert also played John Lennon's 'Imagine' to the passengers.....lovely thought.

y'mean get a captive audience (on a bus) fully Lennonised?

Wow! Gotta see that happen. Do it.

Corona

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 1:34pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
I agree with Fryfan. If somebody can go around saying there is a god then somebody else should be allowed to say there isnt.

RobertBruce

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 2:19pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
somebody else should be allowed to say there isnt.

There isn't

And if you disagree - prove it.

Help

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 2:26pm Post subject: atheism on the bus
There is, and he's called Stephen, obviously