Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Harold Grove

Posted Sat Oct 27th, 2012 6:00pm Post subject: AWOL verse: an antidote to poetry

Harold Grove

Posted Sat Oct 27th, 2012 6:03pm Post subject: AWOL verse: an antidote to poetry

I have been reading Stephen’s book “The Ode Less Travelled”; I am a man changed overnight, unhappily not for the better. I confess I created AWOL verse. That I should have been so cursed is ironic given Stephen’s desire to awaken the poet in each of us. I did not set out to write bad poetry, and never knowingly took pen to paper without good intention; oh well too late now, it is born.

I present AWOL verse, a form carefully structured to leave one free to concentrate on the rhyme should one find oneself in the wrong place, at the wrong time for the wrong reason and one wishes to be AWOL–Absent WithOut Listening. It was born while having to listen to advice on how to avoid heart attacks, strokes and everyday stress at the same time sitting alongside asymptomatic carriers of said heart attacks, strokes and stress (my bosses) at the company health day in the Seagoe Hotel, Northern Ireland.

Of course “the wrong place” doesn’t have to be an hotel, it could be anywhere (there’s a lot of fun to be had at the Hotel Ritz).

AWOLs written in the Seagoe Hotel

I could have been
dancing toe to toe
saying hello
to Marilyn Monroe
but I want to be here
in the Seagoe

I could have been
a baseball pro
making big dough
“say it ain’t so Joe”
but I want to be here