Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 2:20am Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
Just found out my mam will more then likely have to have an operation to remove a disk from her spine, but Ive no clue what it entails or anthing about it. Has anyone had it done/know someone who has had it done or knows any information about it?

Such as, Is it dangerous? how long would the opperation take? - (is it a 24 hospital stay or a few days) how long is the recovery approx? How long will it take to get back to work?

I know if I asked my mam all these questions she will probably have the answers but right now, asking her is not appropriate. she is in the shit of alot of things besides her back and legs, so to be so outright with it would be difficult for her....

Thanks Sarah x

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 2:29am Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
could try bbc health pages or perhaps in this:

http://www.intute.ac.uk/healthandlifesciences/medicine/

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 2:33am Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
Thanks Chris, I looked at the link but nothing came up in the search....

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 2:36am Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
hope someone will have better knowledge, can be difficult to find precise info on the net

Betsie

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 4:29am Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
I know people who have had discs fused together.... They have steel cages of some kind, I think to support the weight of the body on the weak discs. I think the cage fits around each disc. I wonder if something similar goes with a removal of a disc. Does her doctor have permission to discuss it with you? I know we have a privacy act here now that only allows doctors to discuss cases with family if the patient allows it.

Or maybe a support group or forum for orthapedic patients?

Hope you find some helpful info.

trouser material

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 7:48am Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
Sounds extremely painful, but no doubt your mother knows this.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 1:34pm Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
Thanks Betsie, Im not to sure if I'll even get a chance to see the doctor let alone getto ask him about it. I just feel like Im helpless, I just have to stand by while she goes through agony....

Trousers, Yeah she has a fair Idea that it will be extremely painful but she dosnt complain about anything. She'd rather sit in silence and not bother us then tell us how bad it is. She has been bed/sofa bound for the last 2 weeks and keeps apologising for being a bother...! She can barely walk and she is worried because she dosnt want us to think she is asking to much of us. She's our Mother for crying out loud, Id do anything for her.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 2:31pm Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
You should ask your mother what exactly they're planning to do. I can only speculate and guess from your description that your mother has a slipped disc, which means that a part from her disc has entered the spinal canal and presses on her nerv roots in her lower back. If conservative therapy fails surgery involves the removal of the slipped part of the disc. Nowadays this is done endoscopically, leaves a tiny scar, takes about an hour and once the pressure is removed from the nerv roots the pain is almost completely gone. Hospital stay, given that there are no complications, a few days. Subsequent physiotherapy and constant build-up of muscles, training etc. is of the essence to support the spine.

In severe cases where there has already been previous surgery and the segment shows severe instability due to malformations etc. the respective two vertebrae are fixed with screws and rods, the disc is removed and the place between the vertebrae filled with bone or small titan cages in order to fuse and stabilise the two vertebrae.
In cases where the disc is defect but the spinal segment itself is stable it is possible to replace the disc by an artificial disc which is put between the two vertebrae. Open surgery.

Again, judging from your description I believe that your mother is going to have operation no 1 but I can really only guess. Talk to her and ask her what the doctors have told her. Hope I didn't frighten you with my description. Unfortunately I know my way around spinal surgery.

Whatever it is, hope she's getting better, soon!

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2007 2:40pm Post subject: Back Operation - disk removal
Thanks Soupy - all I know is its the lower part of her back and something has erroded and one is out of place. But what you said gives a clearer picture to it all... Im just worried and knowing whats what helps.