Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

OlgaOwl

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 10:05pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
I am watching BAFTA awards. It is a disrace.

Stephen must have won not just twice (For the 'Secret Life' and QI), but three (For his episode in 'Who do you think you are').

And that are not just words. 'Secret Life' was the most courageous, insightful and human piece of television in years! And QI - everybody talks about QI, quotes QI and so on! I once was on a bus in Manchester with a friend, and on the upper deck as well, and we were talking about QI, and a man sitting in front of us turned back and asked to join our discussion! It is a true story!

If BAFTA cannot appreciate intelligence, wit, and human dignity, well, bad for them.

Mr Fry, we love you, you are the best, continue on with good work!

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 10:26pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
yeah was a bit disappointed myself that he didnt get anything..... shame really.

Jack

Posted Sun May 20th, 2007 11:04pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
Nearly all of the winning choices were completely ridiculous. I can see why Jonathan Ross is deserved of the Entertainment Performer award (although personally I'd have given it to Stephen), but from a totally unbiased standpoint it is frankly disgraceful to see no BAFTA recognition of what was one of the most meaningful, relevant and well-produced documentaries in years.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 12:06am Post subject: BAFTA sucks
What does our man have to do? Save more lives?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Britannicus

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 12:26am Post subject: BAFTA sucks
Nice that he got the 2007 BT Mind Champion of the Year though. I wish the BAFTA awards could've come through, those award shows can be...difficult. Too much strain to pick the "best" and whatnot -- most deserving shows hardly compare with one another anyway. But we all know just how excellent Mr. Fry's shows are, not just us here on the forum, but loads of people around the world. People have been moved by them, emboldened by them, informed by them, and cheered up by them. Awards don't create that sort of reaction, they merely symbolize it. The people that've been helped have still been helped, regardless of any hunk of metal sent in honor. So I suppose it's all right.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 8:48am Post subject: BAFTA sucks
It was fairly sad to see Stephen go away without a Bafta... He virtually turned himself inside out in the Secret Life and tried to make difference for 4 million others affected by bipolarity ...
and QI... well, say no more

I have no idea what criteria the choices are based upon, all I can say is: Mr Fry would have more than deserved a "Well done, you!" in the shape of a Bafta for his candour and courage... but let´s face it - so many others go unrewarded for their efforts, brain surgeons, heart surgeons... , and still they carry on working miracles... perhaps it is better in this day and age not to expect to find recongition for having done a good thing, and not to attach too much importance to it...

And I hope Mr Fry didn´t feel too nervous and uncomfortable during his speech for Richard Curtis - it did feel a bit like a Bafta déjà vu, but those days are a thing of the past...

Phlizz

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 9:32am Post subject: BAFTA sucks
I totally agree Gerti - wise words - it just goes to show how bad we are at recognising when people really do produce good things - and for us, the masses, too

melampus

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 10:38am Post subject: BAFTA sucks
Boo ya sucks to the bloody BAFTAs!

The Mind award is far more meaningful, IMHO. No one will remember who one what BAFTA (except us, of course... ) but everyone will remember how they felt after watching TSLOTMD and, for some, how they were moved to seek help for themselves or their loved ones.

Besides, the lovely glass platter that the Mind people gave Stephen is much more elegant and tasteful -- and USEFUL -- than that scary metal mask thingie.

melampus

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 10:40am Post subject: BAFTA sucks
Forgot to mention how good it is to see Stephen looking so chipper. Check him out at http://flickr.com/photos/www-mind-org-uk/sets/72157600224607986/

Such a lovely smiley face, so warm and kind.

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 1:43pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
I didn't watch it because I felt ill and fell asleep before it started but found out the results this morning... appauling- Stephen should have won for Manic Depressive. Argh! Although I'm glad Jonathan Ross finally took it from Ant And Dec.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 2:29pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
Forgot to mention how good it is to see Stephen looking so chipper.
Such a lovely smiley face, so warm and kind.

thanks for the link... lovely pictures, indeed
That glass platter is beautiful I hope Stephen likes blue

Terri

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 5:02pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
I was disappointed he didn't get recognised too, but I couldn't help noticing how genuine his speech for Richard Curtis sounded in that wonderfully warm, confident tone he has. Unlike Kris Marshall who, next to John Simm, was probably the most ungracious sod I saw all evening.
Stephen sounded as though he meant every word, and was pleased and honoured to present the award.

It was so good to see him on the show - next year Kingdom will be up for drama programme and he'll walk away with that one

boffinbabe12

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 6:04pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
Ah you positive thinker Terri. You are right.

OlgaOwl

Posted Tue May 22nd, 2007 7:13pm Post subject: BAFTA sucks
It was fairly sad to see Stephen go away without a Bafta...

perhaps it is better in this day and age not to expect to find recongition for having done a good thing, and not to attach too much importance to it...

I agree, Gerti. Nowadays honest people just have to do right things without any hope of recognition of the corrupt system we find ourselfves in. Globalised capitalism is not a good time to live in, but then again, when were there good times?