Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Julia from Bristol

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 10:49am Post subject: BAFTAs
Well honestly!
What is the world coming to when Harry Hill & X Factor push QI out of the running! I suppose it says everything about TV at the moment - no standards, no real effort for quality. Just what is at hand, easy & doesn't tax peoples thinking!

I have a cunning plan!

PamJH

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:14pm Post subject: BAFTAs
Forgive my ignorance, please, but are the BAFTAS a bit like the Emmys?

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:31pm Post subject: BAFTAs
Hi Pam, they are british film and TV awards (they have two cermonies, one for each). They are generally viewed as prestigious I think, but often the big TV program awards go to what I'd say is fairly drossy populist programming. Of course I sound like a terrible snob now, but I am baffled by the popularity of things like I'm a celebrity get me out of here. Why do you want to watch Martina Navratilova puking up live crickets?

It is nice to see French and Saunders getting recognition at least.

(PS what's the difference between the X-factor and britains got talent?)

That would be me.

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:39pm Post subject: BAFTAs
I saw that French and Saunders were getting some sort of special recognition award. Nice. I must admit only limited familiarity of them as a team. But I love Dawn French. Some evening I should explore You Tube to see if they have anything with French and Saunders. I am sure they must.

Julia from Bristol

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:40pm Post subject: BAFTAs
Dross is such an apropriate word! It's also cheap tv -very low production costs.
I could be concerned for the viewing public if I thought about it too long!
As you say GG great about French & Saunders! X-D

I have a cunning plan!

PamJH

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 1:54pm Post subject: BAFTAs
I suppose I could look it up, but did "Jeeves & Wooster" ever win Baftas? Did any of the period BBC shows win those? I would have to say the production values alone would be worth awards.

Dross. I love that word.

Help

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 2:56pm Post subject: BAFTAs

(PS what's the difference between the X-factor and britains got talent?)

The X-Factor is only for singers 16+

Britain's Got Talent is for any age singers, dancers, magicians, dog acts, people who pull things with their ears, play a sink as a musical instrument, pretty much anything..I wouldn't necessarily say they all counted as "talents"

I wouldn't say Harry Hill didn't deserve to win, he';s bloody hillarious, but he won last year and made Stephen lose, but his TV Burp is fantastic, well atleast I think it is.

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 3:07pm Post subject: BAFTAs
I suppose I could look it up, but did "Jeeves & Wooster" ever win Baftas? Did any of the period BBC shows win those? I would have to say the production values alone would be worth awards.

Dross. I love that word.

According to IMDB it won two: 1990 Best Graphics and 1992 Best Design.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/awards
I do wish at the very least it had won the soundtrack award. Brilliant stuff from Anne Dudley.

And Help - thanks for the clarification, I really didn't know!

That would be me.

PamJH

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 3:46pm Post subject: BAFTAs

Dross. I love that word.

According to IMDB it won two: 1990 Best Graphics and 1992 Best Design.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/awards
I do wish at the very least it had won the soundtrack award. Brilliant stuff from Anne Dudley.

That score is brilliant. I have it on my iPod. And thanks for the other info.

Queen Marge

Posted Tue Apr 28th, 2009 3:04pm Post subject: BAFTAs
erm... actually ... I quite like Harry Hill - that said I wish QI had won

Midsomerlover

Posted Wed Apr 29th, 2009 8:07pm Post subject: BAFTAs
Well honestly!
What is the world coming to when Harry Hill & X Factor push QI out of the running! I suppose it says everything about TV at the moment - no standards, no real effort for quality. Just what is at hand, easy & doesn't tax peoples thinking!

Totally agree on this one. I was really p***ed when QI didn't win.

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

M-y-s-t-e-r-y

Posted Wed Apr 29th, 2009 8:14pm Post subject: BAFTAs
Qi. Beaten. By. XFACTOR.
I thought the category was Entertainment?
XFACTOR?
Who judges these things?

jodevizes

Posted Sat Aug 22nd, 2009 2:38pm Post subject: BAFTAs

As that song said, 57 channels and nothing on. I cannot believe what unbelievable tosh is served up by the assorted tv channels. Not only that but they are often repeated in the same week as well. It comes to something when at prime time you have to watch reruns of Jeeves and Wooster or Yes Prime Minister to watch some quality.