Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maren

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 6:22pm Post subject: band question towards USA
The Bands "Little Feat" and "Steely Dan" are musical heroes for my husband and many of his colleagues and he always thought everybody must know them.
Recently he read in a newspaper that these bands are mainly "bands for other musicians" and nearly unknown by a wider audience.
Now we are curious if that's right.
So do you know "Little Feat" and "Steely Dan"?

gjhsu

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 6:30pm Post subject: band question towards USA
I know of Steely Dan, and only slight recognition of Little Feat. Can't say I'm a huge fan, so can't list any of their songs, but I think they are most definitely recognizable names around here.

michael

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 7:23pm Post subject: band question towards USA
i know of them. they're played often on your typical "classic rock" stations, i think...

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Katrina

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 9:40pm Post subject: band question towards USA
Yeah, I've heard of them, but I also cannot say I'm a big fan. I'd think most people would know them if I asked.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

j9r

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 10:32pm Post subject: band question towards USA
know them both, own album of each of them. More well known from people my generation and older (40-50-60), staples of classic rock stations. Most people would recognize a song from them rather then be able to name song from them, if that makes any sense.

---j

"I'm from New Jersey, if the world ended today, I'd adjust" - John Gorka

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 1:17am Post subject: band question towards USA
Steely Dan is pretty well known, must be if my dad listens to them.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 3:03am Post subject: band question towards USA
It, of course, depends on who you're asking.

Some people are such avid fans of music and across genres, they'll listen to anything from anytime and don't stigmatize their own tastes by the generation fixations that some people fall into. Kind of like 'music historians', they want to know the roots of music made today because it's all very, very derivative. The influences one artist might cite that came before them, must know that those influences would also cite influences before them and so on.

I've met people who are in their twenties who know Steely Dan as well as any 50 year old fan does. And I think that's encouraging because it means that not all music fans are brainless consumers of What Is Hot Now according to some national, chain radio station X-D

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 4:36am Post subject: band question towards USA
i know steely dan

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Maren

Posted Fri Nov 21st, 2008 3:03pm Post subject: band question towards USA
thanks a lot for your answers.
I think I can adhere to the statement that they are not as famous as the Rolling Stones e.g. - but the newspaper wasn't right to claim that they are nearly unknown in their home country.

And I think that's encouraging because it means that not all music fans are brainless consumers of What Is Hot Now according to some national, chain radio station
isn't it?!

Oh, and thanks al lot also for reminding me that Andreas and I are real dinosaurs! (How old is your dad, Toby? And does that mean, I could be your mother??? )

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 4:54am Post subject: band question towards USA
Oh, and thanks al lot also for reminding me that Andreas and I are real dinosaurs! (How old is your dad, Toby? And does that mean, I could be your mother??? )

Oh no Maren :-// X-D I just meant that my dad isn't exactly a pop music afficianato, so if he listens to Steely Dan they must be fairly well known. He's 57 by the way so I'm sure you could be my sister. If I continue to try and remove my foot from my mouth it'll only get worse right?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 5:08am Post subject: band question towards USA
Tobias, I've found when you insert your foot in your mouth, you can either savor the taste ( not recommended, unless the idea really blows your hair back ) or simply hop away on the one foot not acting as a lollipop....

hop

hop

hop

X-D

Really? Wow.

Maren

Posted Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 6:01pm Post subject: band question towards USA

So there's just a difference of ten years between your father and me ...
hmmmm... .
Nothing will get worse and I would be glad to watch Toby lollipop; maybe you could invent a new dance (for the music of Steely Dan, of course)