Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

rasmaestro

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 10:23pm Post subject: BBC region restriction
I take it this was inevitable but the LCTS website went off limits to me a week or two ago (I am located in Denmark).

Why, on earth, would the BBC want to ban such a globally relevant program from international access? Why, at all, is the BBC assuming that such region restrictions actually have a place in this day and age?

I admit that I have yet to discover how to fool the system - not even advanced proxies or the brilliant Tor program seem to do the trick. But still, I find it odd that the BBC is not above this kind of nonsense. They won't improve their net "profit" because people abroad cannot follow their media content. People just watch something else. Why don't they see it as advertisement instead? Are they bound by British law to keep things proprietary? And how come they manage to simultaneously release other (often bland) snippets without any legal problem?

Does anyone know the finer technicalities of this media rights quagmire?

whatonearth

Posted Tue Dec 2nd, 2008 2:39pm Post subject: BBC region restriction
i don't understand this either and i find it infuriating (brit living in australia). at least i think we're talking about the same thing. radio programmes seem to be ok, but tv ones aren't. i end up just relying on youtube and hoping someone will stick it up there...