Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

monochromeprincess

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 5:41pm Post subject: Beta-blockers (anxiety, panic attacks)

marzgirl said:
I read your other post Monochrome, I wish I could help. I will say some prayers and or send positive thoughts your way, whatever your view, for what that is worth to you.

Thank you very much, it means a lot. I hope you're well.

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 5:42pm Post subject: Beta-blockers (anxiety, panic attacks)

Marzgirl: "The CBT as I am understanding it sounds uncomfortable to me. Does this require me to expose myself to these creatures more in order to show myself that I can handle myself around them? If so that just scares the daylights out of me!"

We can see that it is possible for stimuli (particular creatures) to

1 affect different people different ways

2 affect you in distinct ways (eg lizards okay/some things with six legs not okay)

A good question might be (as you have started to ask) what difference is four legs to six legs (keeping it simple) - and the answer to that is something in the associations - meanings - these different things represent... which is the bit that has been learnt...

that is one approach to changing this... (as well as accepting the actual hazard attached to different species and associated normal precautions)

But that does sound rather 'wooly' and 'psycho analytical' (although it isn't - but i can appreciate that it sounds hard)

the other you also speak of indirectly which is called 'exposure therapy' (i think) but obviously means 'normalising' the person's reaction by gradually increasing their limits of exposure to the source problem. This would be part of treatment for trauma for example and to a degree treating agoraphobia (also a phobic disorder).

So a taxi driver traumatised by an accident but needing and wanting to go on having a relationship with cars would perhaps be asked to acclimmatise to a photo of a taxi .. then after a suitable time and support sititing in a taxi etc ... or think a plane crash survivor and so on. Or someone with a military background and traumatised and unable to go in crowds would be shown a picture of the Mall .... etc

But this idea "just scares the daylights out of me!" and so maybe it is better to approach this from the cognitive- behavioural side rather than straight behavioural model.

Feel I am being really 'jargonistic' here and a bit nerdy ...

But it is interesting to ask *what* fear these creatures (the hardcore ones) evoke in you, and *what that fear means about you*, wherein lies the emotional distress (ie the anxiety/fear/*vulnerability*)

I know i haven't explained this very well and also i am not so hot on phobias, never having had any except possibly standing-water.

I am a bit phobic to peter andre thinking about it.

have a think for a time and then perhaps we draw a conclusion from our words that you can carry forwards

best wishes

Chris a bit car-crashed today

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 5:49pm Post subject: Beta-blockers (anxiety, panic attacks)

Lucy says 'Do you understand Haddock then?"

She thought up a poem about it while we were miouwing (she doesn't 'talk' English, I talk 'Cat') -

Fish

Fish are clever, fish are smart.
Of all the fish that are clever and smart
the Haddock fish is the fish
that is closest to my heart.

Benjamin

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 5:55pm Post subject: Beta-blockers (anxiety, panic attacks)

BOO.

I've been medicated for anxiety for about two and a half years. The medication I take is called citalopram, which is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI). For a while I was on Flupentixol, a neureleptic (antipsychotic), but when combined with the antidepressants it made turned me into a lunatic alcoholic who passed out everywhere, so I knocked that on the head.

Beta-blockers strike me as a really lazy prescription for anxiety. Their primary function is as a performance enhancer or treatment for various heart things, and for anxiety are little more than a short-term 'pep', rather like a superpowered rescue remedy. The fact of the matter is that long-term sufferers of an anxiety disorder, whose condition impedes upon their day-to-day life - rather than events such as performing or public speaking, which stress everyone out anyway - are going to feel little to no benefit from the use of beta-blockers, and a hell of a lot of crappy side effects to offset the balance even further in favour of the 'con' camp.

If medication is a necessity, I would talk to your GP about SSRIs. I've found them to be a useful crutch to enable me to get on with life whilst I sort out the problems on my own terms. They're no miracle cure, but they might give you the push you need to undertake the cognitive restructuring which really gets to the route of the problem.

Congratulations on going to uni despite everything. My breakdown happened after my first year, but I stuck at it anyway, and I think it's the best decision I could have made.

All the best.

I'm a histrionic, holistic, herculean halibut.

CLICK TO SEE MY BRAINS.

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 7:03pm Post subject: Beta-blockers (anxiety, panic attacks)

Dormouse said:
Lucy says 'Do you understand Haddock then?"

She thought up a poem about it while we were miouwing (she doesn't 'talk' English, I talk 'Cat') -

Fish

Fish are clever, fish are smart.
Of all the fish that are clever and smart
the Haddock fish is the fish
that is closest to my heart.

Oh! I just love you Lucy!!! Please translate for me DM. I do not understand Haddock, but I am told from others that do, there have been issues with over fishing and us humans not being very responsible. I am trying to do my part to make sure there are always plenty Haddock and the like! I learned how to speak whale from watching Finding Nemo!

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

marzgirl

Posted Thu Sep 3rd, 2009 7:45pm Post subject: Beta-blockers (anxiety, panic attacks)

Dormouse said:

Velvet Morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTL55R6iw2A&NR=1

My daughter is very into this dialog with Lucy as well. She says "mwow,mwow" My daughter said that is how you say thank you in cat. She wanted to thank Lucy for the song and the poem. She thought it odd that a cat would choose a grown up song and I explained that Lucy is a very grown up,clever cat. Here is a song we hope Lucy will enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5RKy0mVSYo

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

concrickety

Posted Sat Aug 24th, 2013 1:20am Post subject: Beta-blockers (anxiety, panic attacks)

I was recently prescribed bisoprolol for high blood pressure. I was started on a small dose (1.25mg). It didn't lower my blood pressure enough so I was upped to 5mg. I found that the higher the dose the more depressed I feel so I split my tablets in half now and take 2.5mg daily(I haven't told my doctor I do this)and I feel fine. I was always a fairly anxious person as well and I find the lower doses work better than high ones. In fact 1.25mg made me feel pretty good except it didn't lower my blood pressure enough.