Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

WhyGenTom

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 7:15am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
I haven't posted in a while - missed you all :-> - but have been teetering around, reading this and that. So here I am, returned! *puts on cape* and ready to lower the tone...

I've been seeing a girl for the last couple of months and as far as my 'track record' goes I've always been totally straight. Howeverrr... since I got kind of pulled into a hypomanic spell lasting most of the summer and only tailing over as winter has rolled in (Possibly more relating to seasonal affective disorder than bipolar disorder) I was more open (no puns, although I'm sure most of you didn't think of one and it's just my hideous mind) to finding guys attractive. Then again as things have settled and depression has sort of rolled back in I've found maself almost completely asexual with no interest in 'it' with man, woman, animal, smutty website or anything else for that matter.

I guess what I wanna know is... is it 'normal' to be that kind of seriously curious? Am I bisexual? Is there any kind of link to mood disorders and sexuality? I mean when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter either way but am just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the feelings.

Love you all ^_^

Tom
xx

Nitro

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 7:05pm Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
Wow! Two x Two x Two.

Two bi's. Bi-polar and Bi-sexual and...this almost seems like symmetry for some reason...

I don't have bipolar myself and fairly certain I'm not bisexual but both seem very difficult to ever really write in stone don't they? I mean, I've never heard any one defintion that perfectly sums them both up. Vascillating seems the only thing that is consistent.

Maybe I'm straying way off your question or topic but I think some people in history have had the idea that it is not the heterosexual or homosexual who are most 'in tune' with some higher state of consciousness, but the bisexual. If men have a bit of women in them and women a bit of men, the bisexual then has more a sense of completeness. Now, wether anyone believes that is up to their own experience.

In general, I think most people dislike complexity and the bisexual makes simple answers difficult. So too the bipolar person. I hope you won't let other peoples need for simplicity bother you about yourself. And I'm sorry if what I've written isn't very helfpul.

Really? Wow.

Puppaz

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 7:19pm Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
Not sure on the bisexual part, for myself I haven't ever been seriously attracted to other guys (I've had fantasy crushes on band members and impossible people) but that doesn't means I'm totally against the idea, the reasons I fall in love with people have very little to do with gender to be honest, so it may well happen in the future (though I am very happy in my current relationship and plan to stay that way!)

I think in terms of sexual energy and depression, there is a link, loss of interest in sex is linked with depression, and increased sexual need or thinking has been linked with mania, but as always its different for everyone. Honestly I don't think I'm very highly sexed in either case. But sometimes I get a lot more "touchy" and romantic, wanting to express my love for people, where as other times I just want to be totally shut off from the world. But I always love my one and only

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 9:10pm Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
Its perfectly normal to consider it. Hence the term bi curious. Considering sexuality is a spectrum you may just be a touch closer to the middle than you thought.

Doesn't necessarily mean you are bisexual.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

WhyGenTom

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 9:18pm Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
thanks for the replies. I suppose my real point was... although I've always seen my self as straight, there seems to be 2 very black and white sides to my sexual behaviour. 1 during my depression where I have no interest in it at all, with anyone... and the other during my hypomania or whatever the flip side of my depression is where I feel 'bi-curious' I suppose. Hmm.

As for what you said Nitro... a lot of people would snigger or simply think odd of me, which is why I've chosen to ask of the people here rather than anyone else. Nice bunch of admirable people on this forum with respectable opinions

- Tom
xx

poeticallyblind

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 3:39am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
Hmmm...well, I am both bipolar and bisexual, as far as those things can be determined absolutely...the question that springs to mind is, are you only finding yourself attracted to men when you are manic? Are you also attracted to women during these times (in my experience, hypermania could have one humping the furniture!)?

Re; what is normal, if anyone finds out, could you please let me know...whatever it is, I seem to always fall outside its boundaries...

Bi bi!
Janet

Nitro

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 5:17am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
(in my experience, hypermania could have one humping the furniture!)?

I read this and nearly blew soda out my nose and all over my monitor, and then laughed so hard I nearly fell backwards out of my chair. Thank you x 10. It's the funniest thing I've read or heard all day.

Really? Wow.

WhyGenTom

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 6:23am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
Hmmm...well, I am both bipolar and bisexual, as far as those things can be determined absolutely...the question that springs to mind is, are you only finding yourself attracted to men when you are manic? Are you also attracted to women during these times (in my experience, hypermania could have one humping the furniture!)?

Re; what is normal, if anyone finds out, could you please let me know...whatever it is, I seem to always fall outside its boundaries...

Bi bi!
Janet

Hmm well as things are at the moment I can see either as attractive, but it doesn't mean I want to be intimate with either. During hypomania I think you're right... I would happily go out and find a remotely attractive Tesco's own brand doughnut and yeh... (I wouldn't eat it afterwards btw, that would be wrong). It's just because of the two sides I have there isn't really a 'normal' for me to draw from at the moment... so just because men have a certain appeal to me when I'm hypomanic may either be because the interest is there again, or because 'it' is in overdrive.

When I use the word normal btw it's the thin line in between crying alone in a darkened room and scaling the garden shed to talk to Andrew the transvestite pixie who lives there on weekends... he says Hi btw

- Tom
xx

poeticallyblind

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 6:51am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
[When I use the word normal btw it's the thin line in between crying alone in a darkened room and scaling the garden shed to talk to Andrew the transvestite pixie who lives there on weekends... he says Hi btw

- Tom
xx[/quote

I've always wanted a transvestive pxie!!...did you get him at The British Transvestite Pixie Shop or did you order him on Amazon? : )

Ctrl+Alt+Del

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 8:22pm Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
I suppose my real point was... although I've always seen my self as straight, there seems to be 2 very black and white sides to my sexual behaviour. 1 during my depression where I have no interest in it at all, with anyone... and the other during my hypomania or whatever the flip side of my depression is where I feel 'bi-curious' I suppose. Hmm.x

I think you're touching on two different things here. One is an identity issue whilst the other is a sexual activity issue. At the risk of invoking the ire of any passing At-Any-Cost queer theorists, I would argue that how you choose to define yourself is up to you and you needn't worry about that definition unless you want to. Others, of course, will likely define you, but I suggest you respond with a helpful suggestion that they take a long walk off a short pier.

Regarding the behavioral matter I think it's reasonable to say there is a link. Very few people feel like getting up to any sort of indoor sports when they're depressed. If you suffer extreme depressions this is probably even more likely. It's also normal. When you slide toward the manic spectrum, however, those feelings disappear and expose first what we might call your 'base level' sexual desire and then, as mania revs up, a heightened one. Your barriers and boundaries fade, you become interested (possibly even do) things you might not otherwise do. We know this to be an aspect of mania because A) its been documented and B) anyone who has had mania (or even something near it) has experienced it. Again I think its normal.

The issue leaves the happy realm problem-free normality when you begin to act on these desire in an inappropriate or (more importantly) unsafe way. So are you concerned that you're acting unsafe sexually during your up swings? Or are you just curious about the connection you're sensing between your mood level and your sexual desires and proclivities?

Littlewing

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 11:05pm Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...

Bi bi!
Janet

Mwahahahahaha...me too Janet! I've also found (in my travels) that an awful lot of people that I have known that have suffered from either bipolar disorder or unipolar depression have been Virgo...whether or not that has any bearing on things or not is a matter for discussion somewhere else, I suspect LOL!

*Littlewing scratches her head and wonders whether she has ever sexually assaulted her furniture...* X-D X-D

bardess

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 12:56am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
Doesn't every little girl like standing next to the washing machine when it spins

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 1:57am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
X-D X-D

C

poeticallyblind

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 4:14am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
Oh yeah...

My parents could never quite suss why I didn't mind doing laundry...

WhyGenTom

Posted Fri Oct 24th, 2008 5:18am Post subject: Bipolar and Bisexuality...
I've always wanted a transvestive pxie!!...did you get him at The British Transvestite Pixie Shop or did you order him on Amazon? : )

Actually it was the other way round, technically speaking he owns me... hense he only lives in the shed at weekends, weekdays I'm out there and he's indoors keeping warm and watching Whose Line. Sigh. It's a tough life being a pixie's bitch

- Tom
xx