Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 1:25pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
Hi Everyone

I’ve touched on this topic in previous posts, but thought I’d start a new thread, because I’m not sure if it has been covered specifically, other than briefly within the “Art Outlets” thread.

After scouring the Internet for information on Bipolar, it seems that it is generally acknowledged that a relationship between Bipolar and Creativity exists, but at this point in time, the reason for the relationship (if it occurs) seems to be unknown.

Instead of posting my thoughts within the body of this message I’ll follow up shortly with a reply. That’ll keep this message to a minimum.

Some of the things I would like to discuss are;

1. Do you think there is a relationship between Bipolar and Creativity;
2. At what state or transition of state, do you find you are creative, discover new ideas, fantasize more than normal ect;
3. If you think there is relationship between Bipolar and Creativity. Do you think that this is related to mood state, and/or simply the result of experiencing emotional extremes throughout ones life:

Please bear in mind that I am simply talking about creativity in a literal sense. For example, simply dreaming up new ideas, capturing your thoughts in some way, expressing yourself in whatever way you do.

For an example, my creative outlet is music. I create (from nothing) much better when recovering from a low. But do have to push and motivate myself, in order to sit at the piano and record my thoughts. I then finish each piece off when I’m feeling more secure inside. As result I have 100’s of unfinished drafts waiting to be completed.

I’m really interested to read your thoughts. It’s just the more research I do, the more this topic springs up.

Anyway…Take care

oxo

Pete

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 7:50pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
Your example is a great summary of what it is like for me....

1. Do you think there is a relationship between Bipolar and Creativity

Yes I do, I think it is far too much of a coincidence that a huge portion of talented writers/musicians/actors/artists etc have, or have some form of, a bipolar/deppresive mental state. Its as if the tortured soul creates the need to express oneself and discover the real person inside of it all, producing creative peices of work....

2. At what state or transition of state, do you find you are creative, discover new ideas, fantasize more than normal ect

I cant exactly say at what point I become creative but I do know its not when Im ok, its either when Im in the shit of it or just coming out... more likely to be on the way out of it as the hope of life floods back in, I become more energised and creative. I have the same tendency to record all my thoughts or ideas etc when Im in that state but not finish them when Im there.... see my creative outbursts occur in the form of a potential (in my eyes) book or for my own enjoyment, something like jewelery or art. In terms of the book, I get my inspiration at really odd times - usually as im just falling off to sleep or when Im out somewhere and its not convienient. so I usually write it down and get back to it another time. for the other stuff, because its just my enjoyment and not something I'll ever make public etc, I usually just spend the night or evening doing it. I never think its good then forget about it and find it a year later and think its amazing... but not be able to replicate it hahaha.

3. If you think there is relationship between Bipolar and Creativity. Do you think that this is related to mood state, and/or simply the result of experiencing emotional extremes throughout ones life

Im not sure what it is for bipolar, but for me (depression) it seems to come out of a need to express myself as I cant seem to do it properly when Im in the shit state..... that and the want to actually do something that will be found or remembered long after Im gone... like my impression on the world or something. Its like Im so delighted to have made it through the hardest part of the crap that I want to express it in some form.... in fact its usually the doing of something creative that pulls me back out of it.

its like:

I can feel a downer coming on for about a few days (I never know quite when it will hit or how bad it might get) so - if I have time - I sometimes try to revert back to something creative in order to prevent it coming in the first place. this dosnt always... it can delay it but not prevent it. then the downer hits and Im in a limbo or zombie state... I cant think properly I cry alot and I just fall to pieces basically. then I feel it getting a bit better, but still there, I get the need to be creative again. when I do try and do something, it then pulls me out of it further... saying all of this, its not like it works at the snap of a finger. It is a very slow and drawn out process, it dosnt always work and I dont always get it like that.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 8:02pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
Yes i'd agree with that.

Nadia

Posted Sun Jun 3rd, 2007 9:06pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
1. Do you think there is a relationship between Bipolar and Creativity;

- well.. Yes. I think there is some connection..

2. At what state or transition of state, do you find you are creative, discover new ideas, fantasize more than normal ect;

- definitely when NOT depressed.. Mixed state or hypomania more probably.

3. If you think there is relationship between Bipolar and Creativity. Do you think
that this is related to mood state, and/or simply the result of experiencing
emotional extremes throughout ones life.

- hmmm.... I dunno.. .. When "high" - i always have ideas and
[more important] an ability to do what I want to do .. no, i don't know..
maybe both?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jun 4th, 2007 4:43am Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity

I cant exactly say at what point I become creative but I do know its not when Im ok, its either when Im in the shit of it or just coming out... more likely to be on the way out of it as the hope of life floods back in.

From my point of view and my experience, you've pretty well hit the nail on the head, or are darn close. "as the hope of life floods back in".
In the past I've thought that it's during the lows where I become more creative, and certainly not during a neutral or a high state. But the more I think about this it seems to be when I'm on the rebound from a low.
My thoughts behind posting this were that I had a really crappy Saturday morning and afternoon. Don't know why, and couldn't really in all honestly point my finger at the reason why.
My partner picked up on it, and I told him to just leave me alone for a while, as I couldn't explain in words, why I was low.
Anyway…. Saturday Night I started to feel better and a lot more optimistic, and had a great session in the studio that night.
A far from conclusive observation, but it made me think about this topic more and more.... Hence the original post.
I certainly understand that everyone is unique, and that there are others who would say that they are more creative in differing or mixed states, or even that their state of mind is completely irrelevant with regards their creativity output.
Anyway gotta do some work.
Take care
xox
Pete

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Jun 4th, 2007 5:44am Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
I guess the key thing to remember when considering this topic is....
When are you at you MOST Creative ?
There are time when a person must create, without regards to how they feel inside. For example, document writing at work, commissioned work, graphic artwork with a dead line, and many more.....
There are times however when a person must produce results, especially when a deadline is approaching fast.
When ever I've been in such a position, and on a high (the old brain racing away, thinking about too many things at once), I complete the task, but have never really regarded what I present as my best work, and often feel it to be unfinished.
oxo
Pete

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Jun 4th, 2007 11:45pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
MD drives my creaitivity and my mood state colours what I create.

Vespertine

Posted Tue Jun 5th, 2007 12:04pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
I don't think bipolar causes creativity. I think perhaps it forces it out of people. In my opinion, you're creative or not.

Personally, I consider myself an artist but only because I'm trying to get a career in art.

I'm not creative when I'm low. Never. Simply because I don't do anything when I'm low. I stay in bed and lose all energy. When I'm high and happy I'm creating.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 9:34am Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
[quote="Vespertine"] In my opinion, you're creative or not..[/quote

Hi Vespertine,
I do agree with you on that one. Just because you're BP doesn't mean you are creative, anymore so than if you are creative you have BP.
But there does seem to be a relationship with some poeple, and I'm just trying to find out from those who are creative and emotional, if they can pinpoint at what state or change of state that they become more creative.
As mentioned from my own experiences, it seems to be when I'm either low or heading upwards. It certainly isn't when I'm heading South.
xox
Pete

shatzi

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 7:34pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
Dittos. I think it forces it out of creative people. I have accomplished a lot, mainly because I don't believe that something "can't be done." I have a lot of chutzpah and I think it comes from BPD. I just don't give up easily.

trouser material

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 8:13pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
Honest question - Do bi-polar sufferers ever use their condition as an excuse for their shortcomings?

Whilst i'm certainly no expert, i predict some (and i've singled out nobody, i know none of you remotely well enough) of you are not bipolar, simply discontent and miserable, like the rest of the world.

My artistic outlet is music, and personally i'm more creative when i'm intoxicated..........up to a point, of course. (A drummer with no rhythm is no drummer).

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 9:01pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
Honest question - Do bi-polar sufferers ever use their condition as an excuse for their shortcomings?

Whilst i'm certainly no expert, i predict some (and i've singled out nobody, i know none of you remotely well enough) of you are not bipolar, simply discontent and miserable, like the rest of the world.

My artistic outlet is music, and personally i'm more creative when i'm intoxicated..........up to a point, of course. (A drummer with no rythym is no drummer).

what exactly to you mean by short comings? it would be easier to answer your question if you could clarify exactly what you mean....

I also think, though it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, you are being presumptuous to say that some people are pretending to be bipolar or are calling their mad mood bipolar. I think thats a very serious remark to say off the cuff.

trouser material

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 9:09pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity

what exactly to you mean by short comings? it would be easier to answer your question if you could clarify exactly what you mean....

By short-comings i mean failings, whatever they may be, i said i wasn't singling anybody out.

I also think, though it is your opinion and you are entitled to it, you are being presumptuous to say that some people are pretending to be bipolar or are calling their mad mood bipolar. I think thats a very serious remark to say off the cuff.

i only do off the cuff, and surely the only people who are gonna take offence to my comment are the exact people i'm refering to? Its not meant to be a fight starter. My original point, hidden as it clearly appeared, is that you can be bi-polar and a completely talentless twat.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 9:28pm Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity

By short-comings i mean failings, whatever they may be, i said i wasn't singling anybody out.

Oh grand, no I just wasnt exactly sure if you meant something specific or in general.
to answer it, yes I do think some people do use their bipolar as an excuse for negative things in their life, as do others who dont have bipolar but have some other distinguishable issue in their life. Some people find it easier to surrender to it then to pull themselves out of it, to blame something in their life for whatever is negative because it means its not their fault.

i only do off the cuff, and surely the only people who are gonna take offence to my comment are the exact people i'm refering to? Its not meant to be a fight starter. My original point, hidden as it clearly appeared, is that you can be bi-polar and a completely talentless twat.

Not trying to start a fight either my dear, just saying its a very serious thing to just throw in and not discuss it or expect responces from those offended.
I do get what you are saying and I agree with it that you are not automatically creative if you are bipolar, as are you bipolar if you are creative. HOWEVER, I do believe there is a co-relation between the two. that alot of extremely creative people have mental health issues and it can be put down to their want or need to express themselves.

caz57

Posted Fri Jun 15th, 2007 1:20am Post subject: Bipolar, Emotions and Creativity
Not sure if this counts, but, sometimes I am incredibly funny.
I had my husband in stitches a while back, just making daft comments and being silly. He said I should be on telly!
But mostly I am a miserable mare!