Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

miamiamia

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 7:06pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania
Varsly acknowedged as a mental health condition but not fully understood

miamiamania

Ladyhawk

Posted Mon Aug 24th, 2009 1:20pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

As a student I can't help wonder that these people seem more normal than "normal" people. Why on earth did I say that, well after living with many who suffer it they seem more sane than those who don't suffer, the only difference is they naturally do not to conform with society's structure or repressive limitations and so are outcasted as a consequence. Of course they have their blips! and of course some do need medication to maintain abit of stability but apart from that they have more savvy than 9 people altogether! despite the draining energy they take out of you which I can live with I wouldn't swap them for anyone in the world! I thank Fry for the program who gave relief for my dear loved one who thought he was not normal for 40 years! I must say they are never dull!I will never be bored thank god for that!

Sally_Butterfly

Posted Sun Sep 27th, 2009 2:52pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

There is a risk that Bipolar Affective Disorder is going to drive me crazy...not the symptoms, you understand, but the acronym 'BAD'.

In the great scheme of things being called names isn't so bad (apologies for the pun). But it's got to be crazy, or at least beastly, that someone or some people involved in care and probably paid a lot of money 'cos they know better than your average person can come up with an illness with the acronym BAD

Could be worse though the illness Mixed Affective Disorder could be driving me MAD..

Flapping Wings

ManicCJ

Posted Wed Oct 28th, 2009 8:04pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

As a "sufferer" of Bi-polar, I note that my family and friends seem to be affected far more than I am. We mad people seem to cope. We get on with life knowing that we will have good days, bad days, really bad days and really really good days. It is my husband, daughter and parents who are shouted at, cried on, threatened with violence and dragged here there and everywhere, in between being told that the man in the next room is trying to tell me something.
I had "suffered" since I was a small child with my parents being told that children have mood swings and that I was just a really active kid.I rarely slept for more than a couple of hours at night and never during the day. When a diagnosis was given in my mid thirties I told friends and family. My family were relieved, after all, it had a name. I soon found out who my real friends were. True friends hugged me, told me it didn't change anything and asked what they could do to help. The others, they took a step back as if it was a contagious disease.
Few people understood until celebraties like Stephen told the world.
I'm sure that if it wasn't for people like you in your position, we would still be extremely misunderstood. We would be the crazy people that need to be side-stepped in the street.
Thank you Stephen.

No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Nitro

Posted Fri Oct 30th, 2009 7:36am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

I believe that eradicating the stigma of mental illness still has a long, long way to go. The info needs to dribble down, sideways, upways and in any direction needed to penetrate all of our societies.

Where I live, I have made an effort to explain how mental illness is stigmatized but should not be because of Facts A - Z. There's something about stating there's a mental illness in the family or announcing that you have it, that makes people feel everything from shame to fear to denial. The whole issue really needs to keep being talked about until the average person takes it for granted that a mentally ill person is just that, ill. That like other illnesses, it can be treated with medication but will-power is not a medication. I still hear peoples comments on the mentally ill that imply they have weak characters, are fakers and exaggerators, just have bad tempers and use it as an excuse to annoy everyone, or are doing it just to get on the government dole.

So, I think the work's not quite done...

Really? Wow.

MotherLodeBeth

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 10:20am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

This may sound odd to some people, but I value my friendships and family members who have various mental health challenges, from Aspergers syndrome, to bi-polar and my late Mom who was schizophrenic and then my late husband was hit and disabled by a drunk driver and had serious brain injuries and I became his caregiver for fourteen years.

The head injuries were interesting, because his long term memory was pretty normal which meant he still talked about physics and astronomy, but when he would pick up various science magazines we still subscribed to, he couldn't remember what he read.

And then there were the occasional days where he would be pre accident, and we could have wonderful conversations. Am a better person because of these people. And yes, wonder if I could handle being married to another man if he didnt have some interesting quirk. ~Beth~

Angela.Graham

Posted Sat Nov 7th, 2009 1:16pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Hi Stephen, yesterday I was diagnosed as having bipolar type 2 disorder. I've been told to come off setraline and go on a mood stabilizer. I'd really like to go med free (been on meds for 12 years) could you give me any advice on how to cope with the highs and lows the natural way, without going on meds?
Kindest regards,
Angela

Trev.

Posted Thu Nov 12th, 2009 11:39pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

I wish i could have spoken to the late great Spike Milligan, about his life dealing with his demons and bipolar(as we call it today), And thank you Mr Fry for the recent program on Bipolar, I wonder if i may be so bold as to ask if you have any up date as to the very brave individual (my view) that let the world see her struggling. And if she has managed to write anything since.
Kindest regards.
Trev.

Trev.

Racal

Posted Sat Apr 16th, 2011 10:19am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Thank you for your honesty. I have family members who are diagnosed bipolar, and have had an ex who was diagnised BP. I look back and believe my mother and several significant exes are undiagnosed BP. I think I am attracted to those with BP while they are in their manic, creative state. This means that I have been in long term relationships with people who have BP but are untreated and have no insight into their behaviours.
These people needed a resilient, understanding partner, but in me they had a confused, exhausted, frightened, person who had decreasing resources to offer, and nievely tried all kinds of "fixes" with only increasing frustration to result. At 34, I dearly hope others can be given some awareness of BPD so they may have a more resilient and empowered journey, or at least the insight to choose their future rather than be lost in the day to day coping.
Stephen, your awareness raising efforts certainly helped me to feel compassion and to have some understanding. It would be great to have some more awareness raising around the experiences of family members, as we can look mighty crazy ourselves as we fumble along the journey of discovery and survival.

ManicCJ said:
As a "sufferer" of Bi-polar, I note that my family and friends seem to be affected far more than I am. We mad people seem to cope. We get on with life knowing that we will have good days, bad days, really bad days and really really good days. It is my husband, daughter and parents who are shouted at, cried on, threatened with violence and dragged here there and everywhere, in between being told that the man in the next room is trying to tell me something.
I had "suffered" since I was a small child with my parents being told that children have mood swings and that I was just a really active kid.I rarely slept for more than a couple of hours at night and never during the day. When a diagnosis was given in my mid thirties I told friends and family. My family were relieved, after all, it had a name. I soon found out who my real friends were. True friends hugged me, told me it didn't change anything and asked what they could do to help. The others, they took a step back as if it was a contagious disease.
Few people understood until celebraties like Stephen told the world.
I'm sure that if it wasn't for people like you in your position, we would still be extremely misunderstood. We would be the crazy people that need to be side-stepped in the street.
Thank you Stephen.

LuvLaffen

Posted Wed Jun 22nd, 2011 9:46am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Hi Nitro,
We've been trying to end the stigma for years with a stage production that took 'best of Fringe' and 'patron's pick' in Windsor, ON. It was deemed 'the most important play in the Hamilton Fringe' and has been endorsed by the Canadian Mental Health Association and the Ontario Psychological Association and have lost our shirts trying to get our important work seen and supported. The show has proven stats from Brock University that shows our work is making a huge difference. You can check out 'Type 2' ~ A bipolar journey for more info http://www.type2bipolarshow.com if you like ~ We are so proud of it and when you weep with strangers and they tell you that "I saw my life on that stage" after a show, you can't help but want to keep putting it out there, as hard as it is to do it, we know we're making a difference.
Cheers!

Laughter can heal the world...pass it on!
Michelle J. Mainwaring
http://michellemainwaring.workbooklive.com
http://www.type2bipolarshow.com
Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men. ~ Goethe

annonemouse

Posted Sun Jul 3rd, 2011 5:23am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Ladyhawk said:
As a student I can't help wonder that these people seem more normal than "normal" people. Why on earth did I say that, well after living with many who suffer it they seem more sane than those who don't suffer, the only difference is they naturally do not to conform with society's structure or repressive limitations and so are outcasted as a consequence. Of course they have their blips! and of course some do need medication to maintain abit of stability but apart from that they have more savvy than 9 people altogether! despite the draining energy they take out of you which I can live with I wouldn't swap them for anyone in the world! I thank Fry for the program who gave relief for my dear loved one who thought he was not normal for 40 years! I must say they are never dull!I will never be bored thank god for that!

alfredo3

Posted Sun Jul 24th, 2011 11:22pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Dear Ladyhawk,

I think that you are right to think that people with bipolar are more normal than normal people. Normality does not exist, I believe, but many people with bipolar are quite more advanced in the intelligences available and there are many.

I suffer with bipolar II and I think that this condition is an evolutionary condition that helps humanity to advance and to develop. Naturally, many bipolars are unable to find their way and understand their purpose in life or why they suffer with such affliction which can be terrible at times. From sufferings comes wisdom and self development and this is a known fact. Bipolar is a condition of the spirit and the soul not just the brain. I don't think that it is just biological though in some extreme cases it can be.

My bipolar is a source of great creativity and inspiration and I use it for good. Now that I understand myself I and am fully capable to control my symptoms and live happy with depression and elevated moods. I am a musician, a visual artist, a poet, a student, and I do numerous other things.

I am an Italian migrant and I live in Australia. My English is not perfect, because I arrived here when I was an adult, but it is improving all the time.

I particularly like to write poems and this one is a poem that may be useful for some:

We only have moments in which to live
the future is a concept,
the past is also a concept.
I choose to tune my mind
so that I can play the symphony of life
in perfect harmony.
I know how to fall asleep...
I am learning how to fall awake...

I will try to post more poems when I can.

alfredo3

Posted Mon Jul 25th, 2011 1:02am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

I just realised that what I have written above may need further explanation.

Bipolar does come with severe symptoms and while bipolar II is milder it does come with frequent mood swings. Some can have many episodes of depression or elevated moods within one year. In bipolar I moods can often come at years intervals but these are much more severe often requiring hospitalization.

I feel that bipolar II is the right condition for both inner development and genius in some instances. And this is possible because people who suffer with bipolar think not only with their brain but with their heart (heart intelligence).

This is because moods are milder in bipolar II and, if the sufferer is able to identify triggers and has the knowledge and wisdom to know what to do, the disorder can be controlled successfully. I would not drink coffee in abundance or take stimulants of any kind when I am a bit hypo-manic; similarly, I would not watch too much news or follow sad stories when I am depressed. And therapy is most necessary. A good psychologist is always helpful; but it is possible to find good friends and people who can support us. Support is everything.

There are strategies that can be used to control one's condition. Unfortunately the price of genius or creativity does come at a cost and for those who are aware medication is not the way to go if at all possible because it does stump the creativity. To repressed creativity can be traumatic on its own and likely to make the condition worse. So, for those like Stephen Fry and myself, who are able to live with our moods reasonably well without medication, life is a journey towards the Light. And what is the Light? I believe that it is something similar to the concept of God take away the idea of God as a person and God affiliated to any human creed. God, in its purest forms, may well be an energy which I like to call the Light.

I have written a few journals around the topics of stigma, mental illness, bipolar, depression and various other related issues. I always had the desire to show them to Stephen Fry and to anyone who is interested so I place the links to my articles here hoping that some of you will read them:

http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/302/

http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/perform.....-problems/

http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/313/

http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/childhood-trauma/

http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/perform.....lebrities/

Today I do not make profit out of my art and/or writings. I share my my ideas with the world since I am kind of retired at 52 years of age. I am a marginal person somehow living at the margins of society and observing it. I will try to share some of my music, visual art and poems here by giving the links to other websites.

I guess that Stephen Fry is also in a similar position though he is famous and has different sets of problems and concerns. For Stephen Fry it is OK to have bipolar II and be accepted in society because people know him for his work and for the gentleman that he is. Unfortunately society is not so kind to people with bipolar who are not famous and I hope that this changes one day so that we can get to know the people behind the disorder. This would make a terrific difference and reduce stigma by far. We can only hope for improvements.

alfredo3

Posted Mon Jul 25th, 2011 3:43am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Hyper Mania is a very interesting topic. I don't think that it is taken seriously yet, something reflected in the DSM; miamiamia is quite right that it is largely misunderstood. Absolutely. It is a very serious state of mind and many can engage in erratic behavior (which varies from individual to individual and severity of the problem) such as gamble, engage in sexual adventures, spend large sums of money, which can lead to bankruptcy, and many other problems.

People who are hypo manic can do a lot of strange things including shoplifting and other anti social activities. To a larger extent there is also a tendency to self sabotage at the subconscious level.

The mind is extremely complex and especially the bipolar mind. Can we control Hyper Mania? I believe that we can but it takes a lot of effort, many years of practice, a vast knowledge and a lot of self determination and will. Knowledge is everything but knowledge keeps on changing and we have to keep up with it.

As a sufferer with bipolar II, I can handle depression today but Hyper Mania is something that I struggle to control although I can control with great difficulties. But there are improvements and it is getting easier and easier to control. It is during Hyper Mania that people who suffer with bipolar are most vulnerable. In this state of mind we have to be particularly careful and look after ourselves. Be interesting to hear what others have to say but I will talk more about Hyper Mania later on.

I have my ways to cope with Hyper Mania. When it comes I have to do things constantly to fight it. My activities, creativity and energy increase by far. It is at these times that I cut down on coffee completely. No sugar, no stimulants and lots of Camomile and relaxation. I also fix computers as a hobby. I usually pick up broken computers and fix them to give them free of charge to needy children. It is something I have done through my charity work as a volunteer.

I love apple computers but also PCs. And because of my voluntary work to fix these computers I have been able to fix some pretty recent machines, something good given that my finances are limited. But where I lack in finances I abound in talent and it is my ability to fix things that makes our lives so much easier. If something breaks I just fix it I don't need to buy or call a tradesman. I was gifted in this way. This is proof that capital is not just money and that capital is fluid. Knowledge can be equate to money in many instances.

I think that there is great urgency to take Hyper Mania more seriously because in so doing we can prevent many serious social problems. Can people learn to control Hyper Mania without medication? Yes but it takes a lot of effort. I will share how I cope with it. But this stuff is all so complex and I will have to do it gradually. Meanwhile I hope that I am helping someone by sharing my experiences of life. This is a good cyber place to do it.

I like to make it clear: I am not in favor or against medication for mental problems; I am not a scientologist and I am not an anti psychiatrist. I am not anything definite. I keep an open mind and speak from experience. I don't like labels and I question everything. I have no definite answers and mental illness, as we call it, is a mixed and complex bag. We need to look inside this bag and keep an open mind. There are no definite answers. I start from a position where I consider myself ignorant and let the fact speak for themselves. I am opinionated this I cannot help but I am open to criticism and I feel, like Socrates, that I know nothing.

alfredo3

Posted Mon Jul 25th, 2011 4:02am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Currently I am suffering with Hyper Mania or hypomania. When this happens I communicate a lot as you can probably tell from the writing here. Four posts in the same day. But I can control myself and have a break after this. I have so much to say.

About Hyper Mania or hypomania:

A careful read of the DSM-IV (which is the psychiatrist's bible to symptoms, classification and labeling mental illness) revealed that hypomania is not classified as an illness but a mild episode not severe enough to cause marked impairment in social or occupational functioning. The only word I could came up with after reading this, was : “blind me” not severe enough? Sure the DMS-IV refers to the type of behavior that could cause people to loose their jobs, to loose friends, to loose their assets in a heartbeat and apparently none of this qualifies for a “marked impairment”. In other words hypomania, which can ruin relationships and people's lives, barely gets a mention in bipolar II. I think that psychiatrists and various health professionals need to go back to the drawing room and design a better section of hypomania to include in their DMS especially the new one to come out in a couple of years. Hypomania is a major problem for those who suffer with Bipolar II or Cyclothymia. The repercussions of having gambled a life time of savings and one's own home or having lost one's job to hypomania is serious enough just as serious as mania. And this c an happen in one night as hypomania strikes. Surely we all understand this don't we? Once we do understand this we should educate the society so that people do not loose their job, so that those who suffer receive the proper help by their employer, by their University or whatever social help they require. A person who suffer Hypo Mania is not always responsible for their out of character behavior. This can be sexual adventures, shoplifting, telling big lies and so on. Currently those who suffer with hypomania have little or no help. This is a serious condition with the capital “S” Serioousssssss...