Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

alfredo3

Posted Mon Jul 25th, 2011 10:03pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Reason for this post: most of my art comes either from depressive moods or Hypo-mania. My moods are precious to me...

I am posting a link to some of my art and music. I am currently organizing an art exhibition with some art galleries and "all" the profits would go to charity possibly to the starving children of Somalia. I am aware that there are fears that the money is not getting to those who need it; but I hope that this changes so that we can save the starving children.

Here is the link to my art. My art is not for profit. For personal reasons, I don't like to make money out of my art. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZFrDcOkHo

I know how to fall asleep...
I am learning how to fall awake...

alfredo3

Posted Tue Jul 26th, 2011 8:18pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Dear LuvLaffen,

I read your post on mental health STIGMA. In order to eradicate stigma we have to be aware of what is going on in our society and what needs to change. As you probably know, many people do not know what is going on (including sufferers) and being aware is the first step towards reducing stigma, I feel. Recently I wrote two journals and published them on Wordpress. I feel that I have exposed some of the major problems around the concepts of prejudice and stigma. Change, from my perspective, has to happen in "Universities" and the "media". When changes happens in these structures it is then that real improvements will take place.

For those who are interested here are the links: http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/302/

and

http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/313/

alfredo3

Posted Tue Jul 26th, 2011 8:20pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

I am an Italian migrant who lives in Australia, but I am able to write poems in English. Just a poem to share with some of you here:

The Forgotten People: Written by the Light of the Pale Moon.

The forgotten people,
with nowhere to hide;
dreamers of dreams
on whom the pale moon shimmers.

They transform the world;
being one with dreams,
one with love,
one with art.

Ages come and ages go,
this the forgotten people know:
each age has a dream dying,
one that is rising to birth.

Sitting and watching
each age with its dream,
one passing, one emerging
as the pale moon shimmers.

Gledwood

Posted Thu Aug 11th, 2011 10:56pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Isn't it called hypomania? Hypermania would be a state of catatonic excitement, not much enhanced creativity to be seen...

My only question about mania is why nearly everybody who gets it gets depressed, often quite severely? Why is that? Why can't we have the euphoria of mania, the creativity of hypomania and all the good stuff without the bad stuff? Why does life have to be this CRAP???

Nitro

Posted Sat Aug 13th, 2011 4:56am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

First, I must state that I don't have BPD.

Second, I must state that I was very closely associated with an incredibly special human being, for whom my Love has no end until my own, and her struggles were, not always voluntarily, my own at times.

The more severe her disease progresses, the more severe her symptoms. It took a great deal of effort from herself and everyone who helped her to get stablized. She did a fantastic job of it, though often grudgingly due to some religious hangovers instilled in her.

Still, being an etntrepunerial spirit, she had invented a product and secured distribution and packaging with two huge corporations, and had fallen in love again. Seeing her grin just from that made me so happy.

And just as quickly as that, she was murdered. To say 'it sucked' is a big understatement.

During her manic phases, she was all over the map but it always in a very creative way, no doubt. Her arguments for hyper-inclusive logic and ideation were just off-kilter enough to know she was not going to 'come down' for days. But when she did, she crashed into a big, black pool and became scarily withdrawn. In either state she put herself in terrible danger by taking risks unanalyzed and her self-centeredness knew no bounds. It made her nearly impossible to reason with.

I mention this for the poster who seemed to feel some level of guilt for having 'failed' in some way previous persons who had BPD. It's not a failure on anyone's part. Being on the caregiving side is extraordinarily difficult and exhausting and that's just the truth of it sometimes. And those who know someone with BPD need to give themselves a break for feeling those things too. It's alright.

To see my friend recover, and then be taken away so rudely, has always been awful to me. It was certainly not what she wanted or had been planning for, and her new lover was devestated.

Part of the reason, as I understand it, for the depression cycling downwards into such a severe abyss, is exacerbated by the physical fatigue of the body from having been kept running on 'High' for days, sometimes weeks. My friend literally would yibber-yabber for hours and hours and go from person to persons house doing so, till she exhausted every patient set of ears. Then she'd spend many hours on her own doing other things like wandering around and donning a near-messianic role with total strangers. Then she'd get in her car and drive a few states on a whim to visit people. I could go on and on but the point is, by the time the Dep stepped in, her entire person was ready to crash. To have a rest. Sometimes I wondered if it wasn't just her body partly going into survival mode. The mania wreaks havoc on various physical systems, and so days in bed wasn't too hard to pull off. Nor staying on slumped on the couch, staring blankly into the TV and being unresponsive.

Life shouldn't have to be crap at all. It takes time and patience and resources, not to mention expert doctors, to get medications dialed in to the individual. That's not easy to do as often BPD patients hate the meds and will skip or stop them altogether, sometimes just to get that manic high again. It feels more 'real' in a sense, as my friend would say, than the comparitive numbness of normalacy ( it's not numbness really, but compared to a manic mind it is ).

I hope that everyone with BPD can a) come across a great doctor and b) as a result of a, can get on the meds right for THEM. Maybe with that start, Life can become sweet again more often than not.

Thanks for the link to the lay LuvLaffen and I dearly hope you all find some eclectic investors who can keep your work afloat and charging onwards If so, maybe you'll be able to take it on the road and I'll see it myself one day

Really? Wow.

alfredo3

Posted Mon Aug 29th, 2011 12:16am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Dear Nitro and Gledwood,

I read with great interest what you write. I feel that Bipolar Disorder is very complex and that every person is different which means that how they respond to the disorder is also very different from individual to individual. Some can cope quite well and become positively addicted to the moods.

I have a milder type of bipolar called bipolar II. But it is just a label. I use my moods to fuel my art and transform this negative energy into positive creativity. But it takes years.I also help many sufferers, as a volunteer or De Facto therapist, online. I am aware that the greatest problem is that many people who suffer with the disorder have come to believe that their situation is hopeless and that they cannot control their condition.

This could not be farther from the truth. Let me say that education, development of self awareness (mindfulness) and the ability to study oneself and one's moods and learn what to do to control the symptoms makes all the difference. Having said this I 3experience terrible depression. But I know that it will eventually pass so that I have learned to ride it out.

I help people to recognize and study their symptoms and apply strategies to offset their influence on the mind.

Naturally, in more severe cases, medication may be needed but I have seen very severe cases of bipolar where the individual gains so much knowledge and experience that they are able to control the moods by learning to identify triggers and do something about it.

For example one would not drink too much coffee when mania sets in. And of course many people with bipolar drink too much alcohol, take illicit drugs and do nothing to watch their diet. Even food can affect moods.

To develop that ability to control one's symptoms using mindfulness takes many years and a lot of effort. Unfortunately the majority do not put this effort.

I write from experience and in a position where I help hundreds of people each year.

It is important to distinguish bipolarI from bipolar II though. People with bipolarI can be well for years and suddenly develop mania severe enough to require hospitalization. Their moods are spaced out over long periods of time. BipolarII is a constant Roller-Coaster of depression, hypo-mania and a third state of mind which can vary. Frequent moods means that bipolarII is not less troublesome than bipolarI just different in nature.

Hypo-mania is a very much misunderstood disorder and just recently psychiatrists have realized that more attention needs to be devote to it.

Finally, let me say that since I have disclosed my bipolar disorder II i feel much better. That is because the problem of stigma is not mine and I do not need to hide my identity. Fortunately, I am in a position where I am able to function while deeply depressed or hypo-manic. I have learned to control myself and it has not been easy. Far from it. Most of the problems with this disorder are the stigma and our failure to understand ourselves as sufferers.

I help others, as a volunteer, to find their way and it usually works wonders. For when we gain some self respect and start to love and understand ourselves that is when things start to change. We accept ourselves as we are for no one is perfect. This makes us very strong.

There is no easy solution only the ability to accept oneself and to ride the moods can lead to improvements because these are part of those who suffer with the disorder. Yes there will be times of depression when one feels like he or she is being swallowed into a black hole; and there will be times of great excitement and activity. But these are never permanent and things always get back to some normality. If we understand this and we are prepared to ride the moods and get the best out of them then we have a good chance at a fulfilling life. After all there are many physical illnesses and many disorders in the world. And when you take into consideration all of the various affliction there is hardly anyone who does not have some form of mental problems.

We do the best we can with what we have. The secret is in finding a way to be happy with what we have. Difficult to achieve in a world that teaches us to be forever unhappy and want more.

It does not matter what sickness you have or if you rich or poor. What matter is how you feel with what you have. I am happy with what I have. I am content and in this respect I may be better off than many billionaires or people who are healthier than me. For the secret to a good life is to find happiness with what we have here and now.

alfredo3

Posted Sat Sep 17th, 2011 5:39pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

I have recently written the October issue of my Anti Stigma Crusaders journal. It is free and I send it every month to most Universities and government agencies. Here is the link to it:
http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/448/

caro1

Posted Sun Sep 18th, 2011 5:56am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

miamiamia said:
Varsly acknowedged as a mental health condition but not fully understood

Well, its 5.45 on Sunday morning and am finding it hard to type through my tears.In little more than than 5 hours, a crisis team will be arriving to assess my beautiful, talented 20 year old son and probably section him. The sense of betrayal is unbearable.My son is happier than he has ever been, fired up with thoughts, dreams and ideas that he believes are nothing short of revelatory.I wonder if our relationship will ever recover. I'm here on this site having never blogged before,taking great comfort from the fact that, as evidenced from Stephen's personal experiences and his generosity in sharing them, a bi-polar condition is not necessarily the end of a fulfilling life.At the moment, it feels that all my hopes and dreams for my precious first born boy are evaporating. Thank you so much for providing some comfort with this site

TobiasMonk

Posted Mon Sep 19th, 2011 4:12pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

caro1- Check your pm's.

Everyone-Welcome all, I hope you're enjoying the site. Here is the link to our Secret Life of the Manic Depressive boards for anyone interested in discussing BP with others who are experienced with mental illness.

http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/forum/bbc-2-the-se.....depressive

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

alfredo3

Posted Mon Sep 19th, 2011 11:53pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

Dear Caro1,

don't loose hope. Your son is having an episode and though everything seems dark now things will improve. If you leave the hypo-mania it can turn into out of control mania and for this there is need to control things now.Your son needs to learn acceptance of his condition and feel your love and all will work itself out provided that both of you seek professional help.

Things are never as bad as they seem and there is always hope. The best thing is for you to remain calm and show your son that you are there no matter what. You are there in control for he probably needs you to be in control now. Read as much as you can about Bipolar and see if you can read some of my journals. I have given the links to the journals on this site, in some of the posts above.

In the journals, there is a lot of information about bipolar and mental illness in general. I am Italian and English is my second language, but I manage to express myself pretty well. All the best to you and your son.

alfredo3

Posted Wed Sep 28th, 2011 2:35am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

I have recently started a new organization called "Anti Stigma Crusaders." This is strictly a volunteer organization (money is not part of any aspect of this project) where I, together with a few friends, actively seek to reduce stigma in society.

What can be done to reduce mental health stigma? I think that, to start, it is important to understand the following:
Stigma for being different in a way is part of the "ingroup-outgroup" dynamic that you will find in all cultures, and is probably pre-human. It is an instinctual way of bolstering a group by excluding the other.

This is a good survival mechanism in pre-iindustrial society, but very damaging in our complex culture as it is today. The only sane, constructive for us is: "We are all from the Rift Valley in Africa." The ingroup is all of humanity.

People construct the outgorup by depersonalising. We see Them as inferior, evil, less than ourselves.

A better attitude is that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Also, strength can actually come from a perceived weakness. For example a perceived weakness of susceptibility to depression and elevated moods has goaded me to develop empathy, compassion and the passion to fight injustice. These strengths give me immense satisfaction in helping to relieve suffering in others. If I didn't have this perceived weakness I wouldn't have the strength.

Some of the greatest artists and musicians of all time could have been diagnosed as weak, schizophrenics, bipolars, or suffering from a personality disorder if they'd been in a different place and time. It was precisely their different ways of thinking and feeling that has led to their greatness.

These above are my views and this is written by me as part of the flyer-logo of the anti stigma crusaders. If you would like to look at the logo here is the link to it:

http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/a-s-c-anti-stigma-crusaders/

alfredo3

Posted Fri Oct 14th, 2011 2:18am Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

This is the link to my January edition of the ASC (anti stigma crusaders). http://alfredo123.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/asc-january-edition/

alfredo3

Posted Mon Oct 17th, 2011 8:49pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

I am a musician as well and here there is some of my music which is totally free of charge. I don't make money from my music it is a gift. You can listen to it and you can download it for free http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/100258

alfredo3

Posted Tue Oct 18th, 2011 9:03pm Post subject: Bipolar Hyper Mania

It has been a pleasure to write here on Stephen Fry’s website. However, given that my face is slowly starting to take over this site, I have decided to discontinue to write for a while, especially because there is no one discussing thing with me. It is true that I am lonely, intellectually and spiritually lonely.
I don’t write here or show my art because I am vane or because I like to talk about myself. I am here because I am trying to understand myself and find myself and I would like to do so with others here because we are all connected. We are all special, this I know. But in order to nurture one’s gifts it is important to open up and be part of a community. If we adhere to the Western ideology we don’t go far. We all have unique abilities and gifts that we can share. These can only be developed if embrace the community spirit. There are many people who are not aware of how creative they are and feel that they are useless. But this is not true. Every human being has the “gift” but we don’t all develop it. Why? Because we have the wrong ideas that one should not show ones talents or that one needs to be talented to communicate with others. All these ideas are based on myths.
Art isn’t just the artifacts one produces. Art is a journey, it is love and it can be many things, even the ability to rare one’s children in a creative fashion or to do things in a different and novel way. We all have gifts but we are not always aware of this.
I feel like a fish out of water and I know that many people misunderstand my intentions. I am used to it. In my heart I live in a different intellectual world where no one is jealous or resentful of anyone elses gifts because everyone knows that these gifts are not the gifts of one person but the gifts of the community and that each individual can contribute in her or his special way. No one is better or less, we are all equally capable but not all can read the myths and work around these to find a way to live a fulfilling and creative life. It is with this understanding that I share my art and that I write here. I am not one but many and I am part of a big puzzle. Not all pieces are the same: some are small and some are huge but together, the pieces form a picture which is unites and whole. By myself I am incomplete and it is true that we are all incomplete, even Stephen Fry, because we live a lonely and competitive life not naturally designed for humans.
My art is your art and it is a celebration of life not a symbol of vanity, of selfishness or self prize. But I know that many do not understand this. No I am not trying to be a guru or a leader. This may be the impression but it is not true. I am me and I seek to find friends who discuss and share things. But I am afraid that in our world we are forgetting how to be friends a talk about things.
I thank Stephen Fry for letting me write here.

Love to you all