Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

EllieK

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 5:22pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Hi everyone!

I know it's rather early to be thinking about a birthday project because Stephen's birthday isn't till August, but I had the idea for this back in February and I don't think I can wait any longer! Plus, it will probably take some time to organise anyway

I don't know if any of you have heard of iBooks Author? You can use it to create your own book - front cover, chapters, illustrations, everything. I thought we could write a story for Stephen (featuring him as the hero, of course!) with everyone doing a few hundred words each (so maybe a short chapter per person) and then anyone who doesn't want to write could do illustrations for it.

We would just need someone familiar with iBooks Author to put it altogether and then link it up to a thread here when it's finished so Stephen can download it. Or someone could email it to him, whichever.
I also thought we should have a list of things (one suggestion per person) that had to be included in the story somewhere, so people could use that for inspiration in terms of plot, for example: a pot of begonias, a castle, a fishing trip, a Ferrari etc.

Do let me know what you think, if you don't like it please say so! But if you do like it, please comment below, with any suggestions for improvement, if you have them

@zany_zigzag on Twitter :)

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”

Desideria

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 5:46pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I love this idea. Count me in! I'm not familiar with iBooks Author but with the help of someone I could surely be involved in putting the book together. Hopefully many people will contribute.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

inckognito

Inactive

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 6:20pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Brilliant idea, Ellie!! I'm in

Wiwiel

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 6:41pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I like this idea! But I don't know if I can make some contribution. I'm not familiar with iBooks Author and can't write any story even in my native language. Maybe illustrations...
I'm in anyway Let me know if I can help.

I'm a Russian spy, ok? :)
@Wiwi_el

EllieK

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 6:45pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Wiwiel, that's okay, you don't need to be familiar with iBooks Author, we only need one person to put it all together
Am hoping someone will say they've used it or at least know how to - I'm not that great with things like that myself!

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”

misprofessioned

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 6:52pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I'm in.... Plot bunny: Munchkins?

Actually maybe we could put him with various fictional characters, with a whole lot of crossovers...

EllieK

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 7:19pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

NO! I forbid you to use Munchkins! Absolutely no Wizard of Oz references WHATSOEVER. Ugh*

*This has absolutely nothing to do with me being forced to be a Munchkin in the school play and suffering acute embarrassment in the process. NOTHING.

Wiwiel

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 7:24pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Btw, I think we can use any other word processor/desktop publishing app to create our book (e.g. Adobe InDesign).

@Wiwi_el

andrealein

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 7:27pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Count me in, though please don't expect me to write anything. I'm not really all that good with illustrations either, but I'll do what I can.

I am not a Russian spy, cross my heart and hope to die.

Desideria

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 8:07pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Just had a look at this iBook Author thing, it looks amazing and also fairly easy to use. However, it requires a MAC or an iPad, and I have neither. Perhaps we could really use Adobe InDesign, as Wiwiel suggested.

I also wondered about how to guarantee some kind of continuity with respect to the progress of the story in the individual chapters. We would probably have to make a list of contributors that has to be observed, with one person writing directly after the person in the spot before them has made their contribution. That requires lots of discipline.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

Wiwiel

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 8:24pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Desideria said:
It requires a MAC or an iPad, and I have neither.

The same

Of course, first of all we have to make list of contributors And maybe we'll need in editor?

@Wiwi_el

Stefi

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 8:25pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I'm so totally in!
That's a fantastic idea , but i have never even heard of iBook Author so I won't be able to help with that.

We are talking of the idea of beauty, and the beauty of ideas.

@Giggi_1

EllieK

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 8:33pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Desideria, yes I forgot to mention that we would need a chronological list of writers! Thanks for reminding me

Clive

Posted Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 11:54pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Hi Ellie!

This sounds fantastic and I'd love to get involved in some capacity! I'm totally willing to offer my services as a compiler, if you should still need one - I have an iPad and an app called 'iBook Creator', which I think is similar to 'iBook Author,' though not developed by Apple. I'm not sure it has as many bells and whistles as iBook Author, though it's a pretty good app and I'm not too bad at using it, lol! I could certainly give it a go with that! I think you need a Mac for iBook Author

Anywhoo, let me know if this is any use to you!

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

Wiwiel

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2012 5:36am Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I was thinking all night long
If you allow me use InDesign and Photoshop I can be an art editor. *puppy eyes*
To be honest, I want to be an art editor if you have nothing against it

@Wiwi_el