Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

inckognito

Inactive

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2012 6:56am Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Sorry, know nothing about inDesign but I do have an iBook Creator which is a pretty neat app. that allows you some lovely features like background music etc.

I'm sure we'll figure out what's easier and most suitable so everyone could participate

Wiwiel

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2012 7:39am Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I suggested InDesign because it's for both, Mac and Windows. If you use iBooks Author or iBook Creator I won't be able to take part

I'm a Russian spy, ok? :)
@Wiwi_el

Clive

Posted Tue Apr 24th, 2012 11:15am Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Am I right in thinking that we could use both? Use InDesign for artwork and content and iBooks Creator as a medium to compile it all and present it?

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

Desideria

Posted Tue Apr 24th, 2012 1:40pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Clive said:
Am I right in thinking that we could use both? Use InDesign for artwork and content and iBooks Creator as a medium to compile it all and present it?

That would be fabulous. Wiwiel could do the artwork, and inckognito and/or Clive could do the assembling. If I understand iBook Author correctly it can easily be downloaded as an app from Apple's website for free.

I'd volunteer to be an editor and proof reader, if that is wished for.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 3:01pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Sounds like a fun and creative project, Ellie! Count me in. Pity I bring nothing to the technical/assembly side of the project. But it sounds like we have capable people handling that so far. I know that in fanfiction terms a drabble is a 100 word piece of fiction, so maybe we can all aim for that amount. About to throw out some ill-conceived ideas:

1. Set deadline for those who wish to participate, say May 31.

2. Spend all of June and July posting your drabbles/chapters. Perhaps we start a new thread in which to post them. That way we all get an idea of where the story is going. The order of those participating can be based on the order in which they sign up, e.g. Ellie can start the first Chapter, then incky since she was 2nd to sign up, and so on. Any idea on size requirements? When you post your Chapter, you can do so all illustrated and designed how you want it, or you can just post text if you're unable to illustrate it. Perhaps someone can help you illustrate it if you wish

3. Spend August compiling said drabbles/artwork into iBook thingy.

4. Send link of iBook thingy to Stephen on August 24.

I've given us 2 months to write it in case people are out on summer vacation, etc. Is that too much time? Too little?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 3:05pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

btw, Photobucket is still at our disposal. http://www.photobucket.com.

Username: fluffetteforum
Password: fluffetteforever

Created a Birthday 2012 subfolder just in case.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

EllieK

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 6:00pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Fryphile you are wonderful! I think your timetable is very helpful and two months sounds about the right length of time, particularly as I think 200 words per person (at least) might be better - 100 words probably won't give people enough scope imo, but we'll see what others have to say.
No idea on size requirements, anyone like to make a suggestion on that?

@zany_zigzag on Twitter :)

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”

misprofessioned

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 6:36pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Btw genre/style? Maybe something fairy tale like. More freedom and easier to do in lesser word limits if needed... Maybe a sci-fi-ish fairy tale? Also instead of a continuous story each short story could be a part of a continuing series but complete in itself so that each person can work out at least the rough outline without having to wait for others to complete theirs... Or would it make the end product too dumb/childish? Suggestions?

Anyways, think its better to set the word limit based on the style we decide on.

Midsomerlover

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 6:38pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

Sounds fab Ellie. I missed out on the Valentine's Day project but I deffo wanna take part in this one. Count me in too!

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

Desideria

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 7:10pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

misprofessioned said:
Btw genre/style? Maybe something fairy tale like. More freedom and easier to do in lesser word limits if needed... Maybe a sci-fi-ish fairy tale? Also instead of a continuous story each short story could be a part of a continuing series but complete in itself so that each person can work out at least the rough outline without having to wait for others to complete theirs... Or would it make the end product too dumb/childish? Suggestions?

Anyways, think its better to set the word limit based on the style we decide on.

I considered this too. What I once did was to write a framework story ("The Prince's Wedding") and then wrote fairy tales of different styles told by the party guests or by the bride or whoever. It gave me a lot of room to experiment with different styles and was great fun. If we did something like this we could combine lots of styles and everyone could write at their own pace without having to wait for the entries of others. Might be a bit easier than an ongoing story. But I'm open to everything.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Apr 25th, 2012 7:28pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

A 200 word chapter sounds fabulous. That'll give us lots of room to play. Of course your chapter can be less than that. A simple: "Stephen rode his manatee to the moon" and you're done!

As for the style of the stories, maybe the first chapter or two sets out what Stephen's adventure is. I'm reminded of a little story he told on QI when he kicked someone's hamster ball out of a window and didn't realize there was an actual hamster in it. Example: Chapter 1 sees Stephen kicking the hamster ball out the window. Chapters 2-19 sees him chasing after it but never quite catching it. Chapter 20 sees him finally catching it and the wheel is really full of Fluffettes jumping out to wish him a happy birthday.

Or substitute Holy Grail for hamster ball. Or whatever.

EllieK

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2012 10:22am Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

We could have the story starting off at his home in Norfolk and then he goes off travelling to different places like Madagascar, Peru etc and then comes back home again? Then you can put in all sorts of incidents and scenarios and there's a clear beginning and ending too, plus it reflects his own real-life travels - and hectic schedule!

Also, when you sign up here, can you please say whether you want to do writing, drawing or editing? Then we know how many will be involved with each bit. I know there are LOADS of talented and creative fluffettes out there so don't think you can get away with hiding your light under a bushel!

@zany_zigzag on Twitter :)

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”

Stefi

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2012 9:48pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I'd like to do some writing, although I have no idea what yet
These are all brilliant ideas, I don't know how you are so creative!!

We are talking of the idea of beauty, and the beauty of ideas.

@Giggi_1

Popeye

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2012 1:30pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

EllieK said:
We could have the story starting off at his home in Norfolk and then he goes off travelling to different places like Madagascar, Peru etc and then comes back home again? Then you can put in all sorts of incidents and scenarios and there's a clear beginning and ending too, plus it reflects his own real-life travels - and hectic schedule!

I think this is a great idea - Around The World with Stephen Fry! Also, I like the idea of doing individual short story adventures - I'd like to try something to do with Florida as I am a huge Walt Disney World / Universal Orlando fan! (Yes, I know when he went around America he didn't go to Orlando but it is fiction!)

Everyday should be Fryday!
Soupy Twist!

Desideria

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2012 7:44pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2012!

I love the idea of a written travelogue. I'm sure, everybody can find a place they want to see Mr. Fry to go to.

Personally, I would love to send him to the volcano Mt. Aso and my favourite shrine in Japan and make him eat strange food. I have a story forming in my head already.

Perhaps people who don't like to write a long story could contribute with a poem, too? Could be something he unearthes while he's travelling.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter