Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

EllieK

Posted Sun Jun 9th, 2013 2:12pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if anyone still wants to do the birthday projects, or indeed if many people will actually see this thread, but since it's Stephen's birthday in a couple of months, I thought it would be worthwhile to start a project thread because if we are doing one, it would be useful to start getting some ideas together.

I've been a bit out of touch with this site (and indeed Twitter) for a while, but hearing about Stephen's "rough patch" last year made me remember what a wonderful person he is and how much I appreciate both himself and the work that he does.

So if you feel the same, please consider signing up to the project and/or suggesting something we could do for it.

Thank you!

@zany_zigzag on Twitter :)

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”

ACSarahAC

Posted Sun Jun 9th, 2013 2:20pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I don't have much time these days with my baby to look after but would love to be involved with the birthday project if I can. xx

\\\\\\\"When you look at Velazquez, listen to Mozart, read Dickens or laugh at Billy Connolly you are aware that what they do they do for the world and the results are, of course, magnificent. When you look at Blake, listen to Bach, read Douglas Adams or watch Eddie Izzard perform, you feel you are perhaps the only person in the world who really gets them.\\\\\\\"

Prancing Jeeves

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 1:18pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I wouldn't mind participating. However- is there a chance he'll see it? We did a project for him before and there wasn't enough posts for him to see it and he never did see the thread.
Sign me up for it though, I have free time.

@PrancingJeeves on Twitter.

Peachy

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 1:38pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I will have loads of free time after final exam & trip 2 Rome so would love 2 take part in project whatever ideas people come up with

We judge ourselves by our ability to make a difference. Not noisily or with sanctimonious complacency, but deep inside, in that still small place where we really talk to ourselves - Stephen Fry
my twitter @peachytweety
:) :) xx

andrealein

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 1:58pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

Okay, I'm in. And I really hope we'll get some more people to join - you know, with almost everyone being inactive on here.

I haven't come up with an idea (yet?) but I've been thinking a bit. It's become a little difficult to get links so Stephen now that he doesn't read DMs anymore. Which, of course, you all know What I mean is that it's probably wise to have something that we could send to his fanmail address. We always did that in the earlier projects. It's probably too late for something that involves sending individual bits by mail and assemble them, like we did before. But I think we should have something that we can print out or burn on CD or whatever (maybe in addition to a link). I can't quite remember how we did it in the past, but I think someone wrote to his agent to inform them that we'd send something. I'd have to ask Fryphile.

If we want to keep it really simple, we could just say everyone creates a page the way they feel most comfortable with: write a message or a story, draw something, get wild with photoshop etc. It's also not that time-consuming. Maybe we could have an underlying theme so that it still looks like a group project? Rainbows or something. It wouldn't have to be the main focus in everyone's pages. Sticking with my rainbow example, those who write could have a rainbow-coloured background or a rainbow reference in their story. For those who go for more visual options, it would be easy to include a tiny rainbow somewhere or go all rainbowy anyway.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to put those pages together in one document (if we want a link too) but I'm sure someone can do that. And I'd be happy to put them together physically.

So what does everyone think?

I am not a Russian spy, cross my heart and hope to die.

EllieK

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 2:38pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I also thought that it would be better to post something to him this time...

I had a couple of vague ideas, but I'm not sure how practical they would be to do. My favourite at the moment (and the simplest one to do, I think) is this one:

http://ohhappyday.com/2010/05/birthday-surprise-in-the-mail/

The hardest part would be getting the postcards to everyone so they could write and send them. The other thing would be choosing a pic - you know what Stephen is like about pics of himself! Maybe we could choose a pic of something else?

I love andrealein's idea of a rainbow theme too!

Thoughts, anyone? Or other suggestions?

“If you really want to be happy, all you have to do is say ‘I am beautiful’. So, I want you all tonight to go and look at the mirror and say ‘Stephen Fry is beautiful’. Good night.”

Prancing Jeeves

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 3:14pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I vote for andrealein's idea. As for a picture, maybe a piece of art.

@PrancingJeeves on Twitter.

andrealein

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 3:42pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I really like your idea too, Ellie.

I think we could take a picture and cut it in to pieces with photoshop or something. Then people could print their assigned pieces individually and send them.

The only thing I'm worried about is that some of the postcards might get lost among the fanmail he gets. I don't know if that's an issue though?

Edit: Piece of art sounds good. Do we know what he likes?

I am not a Russian spy, cross my heart and hope to die.

Desideria

Posted Mon Jun 10th, 2013 8:16pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

Perhaps we can choose an art work from his Artstack account.

Love all the ideas.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

mvet88

Posted Tue Jun 11th, 2013 1:50pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

Count me in. Rainbows is good. Its easy for non creative people like myself

Clive

Posted Wed Jun 12th, 2013 9:38pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

Oooh, I'd like to be involved too All the ideas sound fab - and rainbows are awesome. Maybe after we've done the postcards individually we can all post them to one of us who can then post them in one bundle to Stephen - just so that they don't get separated or lost?

'Vote for E.L. Wisty, or invisible nudists will come along and smash you round the face.'

(E.L. Wisty)

My Attempt at Tumbling

Twitter: @CliveLive49

Popeye

Posted Wed Jun 12th, 2013 10:11pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I'm in! Although my printer doesn't actually work at the moment.
Rainbows is a good theme!

Everyday should be Fryday!
Soupy Twist!

EllieK

Posted Wed Jun 12th, 2013 11:14pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

Clive, yes I thought of doing that too. We would have to have a slightly earlier deadline to make sure that person could then post them to Stephen in time, but it would definitely solve the issue of postcards going astray and/or arriving too late!

I guess we need some picture ideas to start us off, preferably something with a rainbow or at the very least, lots of bright colours!

Desideria, what is this ArtStack account you speak of? I've never heard of it, but sounds intriguing!

Desideria

Posted Fri Jun 14th, 2013 8:36am Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

ArtStack is an app that allows you to share pictures of art work with people who follow you. You can copy, tweet, email pictures from anybody's account or add them to your own account. Stephen has currently stacked 12 works of art. No rainbows though.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

a_LexWilde

Posted Sat Jun 15th, 2013 4:41pm Post subject: Birthday Project 2013?

I'm, of course, completely in!
I like your ideas guys, and think it will please him.
May I share one of mine than I got a few months ago.
I thought with all silly things happening today, sometimes hard and uneasy to cope with, it would be appealing to work on a special and pleasant piece of stuff. Your ideas correspond perfectly with it. Personally I was thinking about a video project.
What do you think to film all of our most beautiful place we have near our home? I explain : All the place which are special for us, because of what they mean, because of what they look like, because of all the good times we have spend in it.
No need to film our face for people who don't want to appear on a video, but perhaps just talking in the same time explaining quickly why these places are so important for us.
I don't know if you get what I want to explain : as a global files of all the loveliest places we would enjoy to share with a loving or lovely person. The goal is to offer him a special present focuses on loveliness, sweetness, and beautiful thing. As a remember than, yes, often life may be really hard, but we have to remember than all around us there are some amazing places where we can have wonderful time to rest or share great things. We have to know them and share them with others.
In the same time, it would allow us to share with him a bit of personal things (us, which love him so much) and it will change of the silly people bullying him each day on Twitter or other.

I'm aware it won't be easy to do it, but as we already manage to make a files with each of us reading a poetry, I may think we can do it with each of us filming 1 or 2 minutes of our special places.
It may be a room, a garden, a park, mountain, sea, river, library, or everything you may want to show to others.

And in the same time, it will give us good idea of what we may want to visit if one day we go and travel in the country/city of one of us.

Here is my idea, it will ask people to film a bit (with camera or mobile phone) , and someone to put pieces of film together on a same file. I think it may work very well. We can even put a music in the same time the video run.

Anyway I'm up for everything.
Love to all of you!!
We need it more than ever.

Si tu acceptes de perdre un peu de ta liberté pour te sentir en sécurité, alors tu ne mérites ni l'un, ni l'autre.

@a_LexWilde