Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

rawlini

Posted Fri Jun 22nd, 2007 1:04am Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
This has probably been posted before, but just in case you haven't heard it, a debate on blasphemy between the venerable Mr. Fry and Christopher Hitchens. Listen 'n enjoy.

http://richarddawkins.net/article,572,Stephen-Fry-.....-Unlimited

Britannicus

Posted Sun Jun 24th, 2007 11:50pm Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
What possible law thing are they talking about there?

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

ShaylaMorris

Posted Tue Jun 26th, 2007 4:43pm Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
Thanks for the link. I've downloaded it and will listen to it on my classes. My Tearm starts today.

ShaylaMorris

Posted Sun Jul 1st, 2007 8:18pm Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
Thank you again for the link. It was very interesting listening to discussion that I listened to it again in order to post here. I’ll go in bit and bites so we can have a good back and fourth. To let you know where I’m coming from I’m what they call here in the US a reborn Christian but like both Mr. Fry and Mr. Hitchens my parents were not that religious. At this time I’m not that welcomed at the church I use to attend because I will not hate homosexuals or stop my friendship with two people I’m very close with. I guess this will take me to the first point in the talk.

I do not believe that God would want us to hate each other. Yes I’ve been told that homosexuality is a sin but then again I also believe that much of the Bible has the hatred of the people that wrote it. You can not tell me that with all the rewrites that the Bible has had that no one has slipped something in. You can’t say love one another and do on to others as you would have do on to you then turn around as say hate someone because two consenting adults love each other. I’ve lost many “friends” over my beliefs and said that I’m committing blasphemy so I guess I’m in the right place for this talk.

rawlini

Posted Thu Jul 5th, 2007 3:23am Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
Thank you again for the link. It was very interesting listening to discussion that I listened to it again in order to post here. I’ll go in bit and bites so we can have a good back and fourth. To let you know where I’m coming from I’m what they call here in the US a reborn Christian but like both Mr. Fry and Mr. Hitchens my parents were not that religious. At this time I’m not that welcomed at the church I use to attend because I will not hate homosexuals or stop my friendship with two people I’m very close with. I guess this will take me to the first point in the talk.

I do not believe that God would want us to hate each other. Yes I’ve been told that homosexuality is a sin but then again I also believe that much of the Bible has the hatred of the people that wrote it. You can not tell me that with all the rewrites that the Bible has had that no one has slipped something in. You can’t say love one another and do on to others as you would have do on to you then turn around as say hate someone because two consenting adults love each other. I’ve lost many “friends” over my beliefs and said that I’m committing blasphemy so I guess I’m in the right place for this talk.

I appreciate your perspective--religion is a powerful social instrument which should be used to bring people together, not to rail against homosexuals or any other segment of the population.

Sorry to hear that you've lost a few friends over your beliefs, but if they are that narrow-minded...probably not worth your time.

lavigreen

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 2:22pm Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
I listened to a small clip from this programme, where Fry made the comment that "I'm offended by that" has no real value. In fact his reply was "So f*cking what?".

I like Fry as an intellectual, but I think this is just fundamentally wrong. The man is Jewish, over-weight, gay and suffers from depression. How would he react if someone targeted him for any or all those things?

Polednice

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 2:30pm Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
I listened to a small clip from this programme, where Fry made the comment that "I'm offended by that" has no real value. In fact his reply was "So f*cking what?".

I like Fry as an intellectual, but I think this is just fundamentally wrong. The man is Jewish, over-weight, gay and suffers from depression. How would he react if someone targeted him for any or all those things?

That's exactly the point he's answering by responding "So f*cking what?". The issue that revolves around the offence of the religious is based on a social assumption that it is somehow exempt to criticism, unlike all other characteristics. For example, just as we casually criticise others' music tastes or literary tastes, there is similarly no reason why we should not be able to criticise the irrationality of religion in the same manner.

The crucial point is that when a religious individual plays the victim card, they are not offended in the usual manner of offence. Their statement equates to you have said something that contradicts my views and, somehow, society believes that this is worthy of being offended. It is not and that is the point. Pointing out the logical flaws and danger of religion is not the same as bullying someone for being gay or suffering from depression; it is founded in reason and the comments are essentially not emotive, thus religious individuals have no grounds on which to claim that it is offensive.

lavigreen

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 3:42pm Post subject: Blasphemy Debate
Thanks for your reply. I will have to listen to the entire programme to verify what you say (although it seems to make sense and also befits the source). From the snippet I heard on youtube it was as though he was claiming no one should be offended by anything. It seems that it's been taken out of context.