Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

socrateschrist

Posted Sat Jun 23rd, 2007 1:14am Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
I discovered Viv and The Bonzos a few years after they had broken up and was like all new converts zealous in my attempts to spread the word. It was a joy to read Stephens comments in Moab as I have allways felt he was the only person capable of bringing those facets of Viv's writing that sparkled in a Betjemanesque direction back to life for a new generation. At the eleventh hour my wife and I were able to exchange 300 of her hard earned pounds for two tickets for the Astoria show. It was a joy to hear S. and the Bonzos performing.
Is it too much to hope that Stephen could deliver Rawlinson End at their forthcoming Christmas Shows? To hear the words "You'll be in there if you don't stop playing with yourself" delivered by the man who is Viv's spiritual heir would be bliss itself.
rAy

Roger the Saurus

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 3:16pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
Indeed, Stephen at the Bonzos gig at the Astoria was like a child locked in a sweet shop, so evident was his joy. His rendition of "Rhinocratic oaths" brought a round of applause from an appreciative audience.

I agree that Stephen could read "Rawlinson End" superbly. How about a remake of the video with Stephen as Hubert?

I only paid £25 for my ticket.

socrateschrist

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 3:24pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
Such is the very stuff of dreams.
rAy

Roger the Saurus

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 3:53pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.

What - £25 for a ticket or Stephen As Hubert Rawlinson?

socrateschrist

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 4:11pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
Both of course. We paused to reflect that for £300 it would have been possible to book the band in days of yore. If not during the "summer of love" then at least during the "Spring of Initial Attraction" or the "Autumn of Trial Sepatation".

I must admit that when one dreams of Stephen, Viv or the Bonzos mere pounds sterling seem inadequate. They should be measured in Old Money or Guinneas, or even the Gold pieces minted by Gelon of Syracuse to a design by Euanetus which are widely held to be the apogee of numismatic art.

rAy

Roger the Saurus

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 5:23pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
Certainly it should be measured in guineas as guinness gives you strength. We are only seconds from greatness

socrateschrist

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 5:46pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
Talk of Greatness takes me back to a particularly difficult addolescence. During which I formed an unhealthy amorous reaction to fireplaces, as a result of miss understanding Germaine Greer talking about Great Sex. It was an "understanable mistake" and the majistrate was sympathetic, which is more than can be said for the party of Japanese tourists who found me inflegranty delicto (albeit a menage a un) in the famous ingle nook of the great hall of Stains.
I have often wondered what Sir Henry would make of the Radio 4 schedule with its offerings of "Woman Sour" "Ewan Jaws" " Law Inaction" (about lazy Police) and the irate bed wetters special "Cross Incontinents". I note with regret that Brain Washing House failed to take up his idea of getting moanor celebrities to describe their favorite sunsets "Desert Island Dusks"
rAy

Roger the Saurus

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 5:53pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
Don't forget the one where you have to recognise a tune from one note - "Just a minim" or the interviews with crustaceans that have escaped from restaurants - "I'm sorry I haven't a claw". In the 1960s I used to listen to the South American sailing programme "Round the horn"

Now, are you going to come quietly or do I have to use earplugs?

socrateschrist

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 5:59pm Post subject: Bonzo, Viv and Stephen.
Ok you win The ear plugs made me laugh outloud. I am off to experience strange tongues in a darkened room.

Best wishes rAy