Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

marshallrage6

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 11:14pm Post subject: Book Content
Hey,

I'm a big fan of steven, I like his podcasts, blogs, show's he's in etc.

I picked up one of his books, hippotmus I think it was (forgive spelling) I read the spoil on the back and I'm not sure if i'd like his books, as there not really what I normally read.

I was just wanting some advice from you guys, to give the jist of what the books are about and are they something anyone can get into?

Thanks

M.R

PamJH

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 12:16am Post subject: Book Content
I just finished Hippopotamus and I enjoyed it. I was cracking up most of the time. The gist of it is this: A man is asked by his goddaughter to investigate a sort of phenomena at another relative's country estate. But this isn't science fiction, however.

Stephen Fry's writing is very explicit, with plenty of curse words and vivid descriptions of all kinds. But none of his salty language is gratuitous. His characters are not perfect and he reveals their faults in a bright, unforgiving light.

His protagonist (or anti-hero, if you will) is an older man and his is the voice you hear most often.

Give the book a try. You'll be able to tell by the first 20 pages whether you like it or not.

The forum has a few other threads about his books which you might find helpful. I don't want to give away any more of the plot than I already have.
Happy reading!