Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Feb 26th, 2007 11:59pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
(To the mods: if this thread belongs in General Musings rather than here, feel free to move it.)

I think a thread of book recommendations wouldn't be amiss. Especially if they're vaguely "Fry-ish" books in some way or other. I'll start.

The Great Latke-Hamantash Debate.

Wiki has it that "annually since 1946, a debate is held, mainly between faculty members [of the University of Chicago], not (but nearly) all of whom are Jewish, about the relative merits of latkes and hamantaschen, the Jewish delicacies associated with Hanukkah and Purim, respectively. The lectures are a great opportunity for ordinarily serious scholars to crack jokes in a mock-serious tone."

Having attended a couple of these debates during my undergraduate days, I can add that they occasionally get so esoteric and inside-jokey that the theatre falls into a sort of continuous uncomprehending half-moan half-giggle, while the undergrads and graduate students directly affiliated with the speaker and in on the gags howl with laughter.

If anyone's curiosity has been aroused, click here to listen to my old (now quite, *quite* old) philosophy prof Ted Cohen expound on the relative virtues of latkes vs. hamantaschen back in 1976. (He comes down firmly on the side of latke. )

Nataly)

Posted Thu Mar 1st, 2007 9:04am Post subject: Book recommendations?
Write the basic moments of this masterpiece and we shall talk about it. Only the basic conclusions (!)

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Mar 1st, 2007 5:19pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
What "basic moments", what "conclusions"? It's a book of mock lectures.

(For those wondering - having spoken to this person rather extensively in Russian, I can honestly affirm that they make as little if not less sense in it as in English.)

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 1:35pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
This thread makes my head throb.

Nataly)

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 10:28pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
AxmxZ
Otkluchi durku,vse ti ponimaesh"! (!)
Oh,I see,you are right! (!)

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 10:38pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
AxmxZ
Otkluchi durku,vse ti ponimaesh"! (!)
Oh,I see,you are right! (!)

Damned if I understand the meaning of either of these utterrances. (The Russian was translates to: "Quit playing the fool, you understand everything." )

Nataly)

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2007 8:33am Post subject: Book recommendations?
AxmxZ
O,kak mi ymeem perebodit" ctrelki dly bsego foruma)
You hes a flash of wit!
You hes no equal!

ClareBear

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2007 8:19pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
*considers adding a section of the board for people to post in their native languages*

amlee

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2007 8:39pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
*considers adding a section of the board for people to post in their native languages*

If you did that my brain would explode trying to read it (although I think you might enjoy that). Stupid language fascination.

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2007 9:22pm Post subject: Book recommendations?

If you did that my brain would explode trying to read it (although I think you might enjoy that). Stupid language fascination.

Hmm... I think it'd be an awesome idea! Then I'd occasionally get to chime in with ungrammatical sentences in broken German!

Nataly)

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 8:17am Post subject: Book recommendations?
You heve a ready tondue to any question,I see
Dont you think I was clear in my answers?
The people are inclined to hate that do not understand or afraid (!)
To me with you so is cheerful, guys!

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 8:29am Post subject: Book recommendations?
I'm not particularly "inclined to hate", but I do have trouble understanding what it is you want to talk about. In either language. All I get is cryptic tidbits tossed my way, and when I don't react to them in whatever manner it is you expect, I get accusations of hate, fear and other nonsense. It's like being pecked at by a small but long-beaked bird: can't ignore it, can't swat the little fucker.

Nataly)

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 12:26pm Post subject: Book recommendations?
fucker-I like this English word
Do not take all fire on itself and forget it

JVONEARTH

Posted Mon Mar 5th, 2007 12:36am Post subject: Book recommendations?
The Bible according to Spike Milligan

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Mon Mar 5th, 2007 9:01pm Post subject: Book recommendations?

Hmm... I think it'd be an awesome idea! Then I'd occasionally get to chime in with ungrammatical sentences in broken German!

I am sure your most ungrammatical sentences in the most broken German are a thousand times better my Russian X-D X-D (I only know nastrovye (spelling?) and spasiva (spelling ????) )

But the idea as such is quite appealing - post in our native languages, hey (and let others guess what we are on about want a taste? oachkoatzlschwoaf X-D)

solution: (the end bit )