Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whatonearth

Posted Fri Oct 12th, 2007 10:57pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
(Pronounced with a long 'oo' sound, as in 'food')

Seeing as I just started a music thread, I might as well start a book thread too because there doesn't seem to be one of those either (please accept my apologies if there is, I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes after this week's episode of QI so my vision is a bit iffy).

My favourite book ever used to be To Kill A Mockingbird (surprise surprise, and that's where I got my name from), but it's been years and years since I read it so just for the sake of accuracy I don't feel like I can say it is any more...I need to read it again.

So for the time being I'm going to go with Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (although I'm not calling myself lolita on any message board :P). It's fantastic, and if you haven't read it you should. I read an interesting article on it a few months ago, well it didn't teach me much that I didn't already know but it was an enjoyable read, I wish I could remember where it was. Either way, I hope other people here have read and enjoyed it. It was pretty much the highlight of my entire time at uni when I got to answer an exam question using that book although I still didn't get amazing marks but hey, I actually enjoyed an exam which is a first in its own right!

Fourth Feline

Posted Sat Oct 13th, 2007 11:45am Post subject: Boooooooooooks
Two that immediately spring to mind :

'On The Road' - Jack Kerouac.

'Steppenwolf' - Herman Hesse.

F.F.

Saturn

Posted Sat Oct 13th, 2007 1:16pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
My favourite novel is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

Forget the cheesy musical, this is a serious work of fiction dealing with crime, punishment, love, redemption, sacrifice, politics, history, religion, war, peace, life, death - the whole human experience.

This novel has everything you could ever want.

Simply un-put-downable [if such a word exists].

It changed my life forever.

absolutely curtains

Posted Mon Oct 15th, 2007 5:55pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
My favourite novel is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.

Forget the cheesy musical, this is a serious work of fiction dealing with crime, punishment, love, redemption, sacrifice, politics, history, religion, war, peace, life, death - the whole human experience.

This novel has everything you could ever want.

Simply un-put-downable [if such a word exists].

It changed my life forever.

Yeah that's all well and good, but I bet it's no fun at all if you follow your advice and forget the cheesy musical.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Oct 15th, 2007 6:08pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
Les Miserables was ultimately responsible for my writing a thesis on criminal justice - I had been planning to write it on the 1789-1830 re-merging of surgery and medicine in the Paris school, but in the end, the police stuff just turned out to be so much more exciting.

Also, the longest piece of creative writing I've ever done is a novel-length Les Miserables fanfic. Still in progress. Might get done in ten years or so.

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 10:57pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
For me it's "Dubliners", particularly "The Dead". Nobody does imagery quite like James Joyce. Leaves me staggered.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Tumbing_Heart

Posted Sun Nov 4th, 2007 1:49pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
At the moment its "for Esme with love and Squalor". by J D Salinger. I never really enjoyed short stories,but this is amazing,i spend most of the morning looking at the really rare collection of his work pubishing in magazines,its 420 pound....someone buy me it please.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Nov 4th, 2007 2:32pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
The Gun Seller - Hugh Laurie
Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding
Big Trouble - Dave Barry
Tricky Business - Dave Barry
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Stormy Weather - Carl Hiaasen
The Stephanie Plum Series - Janet Evanovich

Desdemona

Posted Mon Nov 5th, 2007 5:50pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
Mine has to be
Edgar Allan Poe - Imp Of Perverse ( or one of the meny other stories)
And
Stephen king - Pet Semitary

Skip Life and come with me?

CollectorManiac

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 3:08pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
The Liar by the man himself =P
Things Snowball - Rich Hall
The Lord Of The Rings
His Dark Materials =]
Noughts & Crosses
ok so these are all really cliche
to kill a mockingbird's up there too lol
and the colour purple
and I know it's a play, but arthur miller's a view from the bridge
hmm I guess there's a reason these things are cliche lol

Ernest Worthing

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 4:52pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I just bought The Castle by Franz Kafka and The Devils by Fyodor Dostoevsky, as I read Notes From the Underground on Monday and loved it. The Castle is really good so far.

Saturn

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 7:33pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I haven't read anything for about two and half months...

...I think I've totally lost any interest or patience with books

And I used to be a voracious, nay monstrous bibliophile.

masquerade

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 8:03pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
Don't worry Saturn, I have periods like that sometimes, where I just don't read anything at all... my love of books always comes back sooner or later.

As for my favourite books, first off I have to admit that I am a Harry Potter freak, and I apologise sincerely for that fact! X-D

I also love Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, which is a slightly more acceptable book for a sophisticated, educated young lady -tries not to laugh- to like.

The only book I've read of our Mr Fry's so far is The Liar, which is fabulous. I love Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide series, the Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix, the Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker.

And, rather oddly for a very-nearly-18-year-old, I have a certain fondness for Shakespeare. Yes, I know he wrote plays and poetry rather than novels.

Saturn

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 8:28pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks

And, rather oddly for a very-nearly-18-year-old, I have a certain fondness for Shakespeare. Yes, I know he wrote plays and poetry rather than novels.

Not odd at all, when I was 18 and started University I began reading Shakespeare myself....for fun...

...I was supposed to be studying ancient history...but I went home every night and read a play by Shakespeare

masquerade

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 8:39pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I own the complete works of Shakespeare... most of my friends would run away screaming at the thought of reading it all! X-D Glad you don't think I'm weird for it though.