Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

The Oracle

Posted Fri Jan 16th, 2009 11:10pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I love it. So 1700's don't you think, they were so saucy and seem to live life at full pace. ->

PamJH

Posted Sat Jan 17th, 2009 1:06am Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I love it. So 1700's don't you think, they were so saucy and seem to live life at full pace. ->

Oh, yes. They always land in such delicious trouble.

triky

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 3:10pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
just finished reading both of Khaled Hosseini's novels, the Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. they were both pretty amazing stories. i learnt a lot about afghanistan too...
http://www.khaledhosseini.com/

PamJH

Posted Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 10:44pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I'm now right in the middle of "The God Delusion."

Marvelon

Posted Tue Jan 27th, 2009 3:32pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks

Ooh Pam, my wife is really into religious studies (she's... agnostic, for lack of a better word.) After reading the God Delusion she found a video on google video of a discussion between Dawkins and an Oxbridge professor called McGrath discussing the points posed by Mr. Dawkins. Briliant watch! Mc Grath has also written an 'official' reply book called the Dawkins Delusion.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jan 27th, 2009 10:05pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks

Ooh Pam, my wife is really into religious studies (she's... agnostic, for lack of a better word.) After reading the God Delusion she found a video on google video of a discussion between Dawkins and an Oxbridge professor called McGrath discussing the points posed by Mr. Dawkins. Briliant watch! Mc Grath has also written an 'official' reply book called the Dawkins Delusion.

I'll have to check these out. I'm taking it slowly and marking passages I want to re-read for clarity. While I like Christopher Hitchens' work, I think Dawkins is a little less strident and lists sources a bit better.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one reading this.

Soph

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 11:54pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I've been Reading Wilde's 'The Selfish Giant' quite often recently. It's such a beautiful tale.

Photobucket

PamJH

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 1:56am Post subject: Boooooooooooks
I've been Reading Wilde's 'The Selfish Giant' quite often recently. It's such a beautiful tale.

I enjoyed that one, too. But the Happy Prince made me cry.

Soph

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 1:35pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks

Gosh, I know. I can't help getting teary eyed reading that one.

Photobucket

PamJH

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 7:03pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks

Gosh, I know. I can't help getting teary eyed reading that one.

As soon as I get my refurbished iMac I'm going to download Stephen's stories from iTunes. I'm sure there will be tears aplenty.

Pam

Soph

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 7:51pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
Stephen reading 'The Selfish Giant' seems utterly charming. I'd love to have the short stories, the only reason I haven't bought it is becuase I don't know how to order from iTunes. I shall have to get my brother to get it for me, or work it out for myself.

Photobucket

PamJH

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 8:00pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
Stephen reading 'The Selfish Giant' seems utterly charming. I'd love to have the short stories, the only reason I haven't bought it is becuase I don't know how to order from iTunes. I shall have to get my brother to get it for me, or work it out for myself.

I'm lucky. If I can't figure it out I have a computer expert who will come to the house and do it for me, as long as I argue politics for the hour or so that he's there. And I have no problem with that. We have different views on almost everything so it makes for excellent, bombastic conversation with a little name-calling thrown in for juvenility (that's not a real word, I don't think).

Pam

Marvelon

Posted Mon Feb 16th, 2009 4:43pm Post subject: Boooooooooooks
Started reading Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake just before the weekend, not finished yet but already reccomending it. Love his style, love how he is serious one minute, doling out insight like only an old writer can, and being laugh-out-loud funny the next.

The stories about people falling over is worth the price of entry

Edited 17/2/09:
Finished it now, really a very good book, sometimes a novel, sometimes a collection of short stories, always insightful, funny and interesting.

Started reading R. Scott Bakker's The Judging Eye, which is the first part of the Aspect-Emperor series. The first part of the sequels to his debut trilogy The Prince of Nothing. Bakker is a philosopher who wrote fantasy as a hobby then got harrassed by his friend and some relatives to send it to his publisher. his stories mix traditional fantasy elements with philosophical concepts in really clever and surprising ways. Among the best fantasy I've ever read, up there with Dune, Lord of the Rings and Stephen Kings Dark Tower series.