Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

boredofsuburbs

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 2:09am Post subject: brand/ross
Would you not consider men like Pablo and Oscar,
Whom eradicated veils or walls, destroying snobbery and tradition
Refusing blindfolds or suppression,
Spitting on stagnation and casting blue-prints aside,
Should we sacrifice comic liberty for Sachs’s pride?

fryfan20

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 2:16am Post subject: brand/ross
I heart something about it but what did they exactly do wrong?

I am what I am

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 5:56am Post subject: brand/ross
My opinion: What is the purpose of having a pre-record if you aren't going to censor it for content?

I'll admit I won't be crushed if Brand goes but I am partial to Ross.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Xadoc

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 6:22am Post subject: brand/ross
Thousands of people decided to be shocked hours after the programme was broadcast. Can you be shocked in retrospect or is thisjust another example of the Daily Mail fan club worrying about 'values' again?

trehvi

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 9:30am Post subject: brand/ross
I have to say that I am amazed of what extent this story has been pushed. I say pushed because that's exactly what has happened. The initial amount of complaints was 2.... two!!!!!! As the Daily Mail ran out of other juicy stories of celeberties with trout lips and who cried on the X factor, then somehow they managed to get their greedy hands on that material. What happened next was mass hysteria, the like that could be compared to Northen Rock scandal or stories of Steve Jobs death that sent the share prices downhill...

What is my point here?? Well, I think the amount of complaints have risen now to 30,500 and this is thanks to media and the way they have fed the public. I am more than sure that majority of those people have not watched Brand/Ross shows and are just out there to have a rant. They moan that those guys are overpaid, obnoxious and worthless... well, how about footballers?? Moreover, they moan that they are paying the license fee and they do not want to see that kind of things on the air... well I'm sure that Market kitchen, Bargain hunt, Escape to the country, Spendaholics and other shows are really where you want to spend your license fee money since they are enterntaining, worth the money, appealing to everyone and very educating. They already get full range of questionable quality shows that they can choose from, leave now something for the ones that apechiate something else. Everything does not have to be appealing for everyone and you don't see me complaining about all the crap that comes from the channels day in day out.

What amazes me even more is that the girl has gotten so much space in the papers and web to advertise her Satanic Slut work and she is so proud of her work(?), though in my opinion just humiliates Sachs even more. I wonder how their Christmas will be.. maybe she performs a lapdance for all the family members.
As far as Sach goes, then I saw the interview where he said he doesn't collect apologies, but afterwards demanded that apologies should be made to his wife, daughter, Satanic slut... (dog, cat, neighbours). Like push me pull you..

What I don't understand is why they aired the show in the first place... The program manager (?) agreed with Sachs to redo the show and get a proper interview and then went ahead and aired the unagreed material. That was incredibly unwise in the first place. But to let go Lesey Douglas.... that I'm too upset to even talk about...

I do want to say that Ross/Brand were incredibly childish and of course this goes bit beyond humor, but it never deserved the attention that the media has given to it and the bubble it has created. I am a big fan of Ross and I was dissapointed, even more because his way of interviewing has become more indepth.. listen the one with Helen Mirren, Simon Schama, Dennis Norden... fantasitic.. But I fear that when he comes back thn things will not be the same....

And then there is Andy... Andy Davies who made such fantastic duo with Jonathan.. I hope he likes the holiday.

I'd say that is enough and I better end this one.
I do apologise if my English is not up to schatch.. I'm not native, so there might me mistakes in the text.

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 12:15pm Post subject: brand/ross
I wanted to vote "other" for an apology but no was the closest. I think there are few external things to take into account here. For one thing we are in the middle of a depressing recession and people are looking for any story which is not economics related. For another, the media love a witchhunt. They've failed in the last couple of weeks to get rid of Osbourne the politician and so they have cast their net over to Ross and Brand who conveniently appeared. I've not listened to their show, only read transcripts (which were no doubt edited to highlight the worst bits) but what I saw was not humourous. In fact it was just nasty. They should both be very sorry for it and apologise IMO, but the moral outrage and thousands of people sending in belated complaints is just ridiculous. They should really put their energies to better use.

That would be me.

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 3:11pm Post subject: brand/ross
I can't watch English TV (BBC) here, but I was rather surprised when I read an article about this matter in a German newspaper! That does not happen very often.
And fryfan20, it seems that the Dutch press mentioned it too.

fryfan20

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 3:14pm Post subject: brand/ross
I can't watch English TV (BBC) here, but I was rather surprised when I read an article about this matter in a German newspaper! That does not happen very often.
And fryfan20, it seems that the Dutch press mentioned it too.

yes there did mention it.

I am what I am

BigTom

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 5:57pm Post subject: brand/ross
I know I’m flying in the face of the noisy minority, but I’m seriously considering complaining to the BBC myself as this incident has morphed into a poll and I’m sick of the neotrendies. I’ll have a stab at explaining why:
1. I do not need to have listened to this broadcast to have an opinion. As it happens I did listen and thought it was so obviously wrong a child could have worked it out. But like a huge percentage of the population, rightly or wrongly, I would never have been bothered to officially complain. It is immaterial how many complained initially and how many at a later date if the reports on what was said are correct people are complaining for the right reasons
2. Whether or not the Daily Mail ‘broke’ the story is irrelevant. If it happened, it happened. Look for conspiracies and ye shall find
3. The silly rational behind the defending of this incident from the likes of trehvi are typical. A nonsensical rant with his poor ‘Mass hysteria Northern Rock and Steve Jobs scandal’ analogies (I think one was actually a scandal wasn’t it!) or the references to ‘the girl’ being in Satanic Sluts as though in some way she deserved it, she may well have, but they didn’t ring her! Trehvi and others – is it right to ring up a 78yr old man and tell him you or your mate f***ed his granddaughter - no Daily Mail, no ‘if you don’t like the show, you can’t comment’, no ‘only 2 complained until someone told the country’, no other rubbish. Is it right or not?
4. If it is right, where we going to stop? Maybe ringing old folk up and pestering them until they die. It’s seems to fit the criteria set here that if someone likes it, it’s OK
5. If it isn’t right haven’t we got to work out how responsible someone is for their actions and whether if you pay them £6 million a year they should be more or less responsible. The editorial control is another issue, live or recorded the message was left.
I like Ross, I’m the same age and have watched him on and off since his UK version of the Letterman Show on C4. I also like Brand, his Ponderland and live shows are highly amusing. But this was very wrong.
The incident has exploded for a number of reasons. Firstly it’s a story about the media and the BBC, so every other competitive TV channel will run it (you’ll note the BBC were very quiet about it to start with). Secondly, there is a battle between the BBC, the Press and the viewers. There are a lot of dissatisfied customers out there and a lot are using the complaints procedure in this instance to make a point.
One last point, if I made a call like this to the grandfather of an ex girl friend and he complained to the police, I’d be in trouble. Rather like if I set a business up and conned people out of money with an 0898 scam I’d go to prison....... anyone else think that TV people live in a different world to the rest of us

Mozzer

Posted Fri Oct 31st, 2008 11:45pm Post subject: brand/ross
One last point, if I made a call like this to the grandfather of an ex girl friend and he complained to the police, I’d be in trouble. Rather like if I set a business up and conned people out of money with an 0898 scam I’d go to prison....... anyone else think that TV people live in a different world to the rest of us

Yes. If you did that, the police would phone you and tell you not to do it again, and you'd say sorry, and that would be that. You wouldn't lose your job.

The response needs to be proportionate - and any punishment meted out to the series producer whose responsibility the broadcast was. You don't fire the talent for saying fuck. If that were the case, Never Mid the Buzzcocks and Have I Got News For You would have been off the air years ago.

And also yes - TV people DO live in a different world than you and I. Comedians have by and large worked at their schtick for ages before getting their breaks. The reason they get their breaks is that they try new things. Trying new things involves risks. And don't please respond by saying that this never used to happen - in the early seventies, such as Manning and Davidson used to get away with jokes about entire races of people.

In short - this "incident" is nothing of the sort. It was just a crap joke that backfired. Nothing new - it happens every day. No need to go all "butterfly on a wheel" with Brand & Ross.