Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Zefla

Posted Mon Feb 11th, 2008 11:34pm Post subject: Brief rant
Brief rant:

I go answer my door about 8pm this evening and there's a salesman outside who proceeds to tell me all about the virtues and cost savings of joining his electricity company. I interrupt, it must be said in a fairly Bertie Wooster style, and explain that my flat is rented and as such I can't change the posis. on anything. He says fair enough and just as I go to close the door Mr Salesman pipes up ' Are you having a baby?' I look at him. He then says ' Oh! You're not...oh erm...right...I'll er....go then'. I then ask him what on earth made him think I was pregnant. He said my glowing skin and that I was ...as he so nicely put it...chunky. I then very nicely explained that while I appreciated his comments, just because someone chooses to put on a baggy t-shirt when one has been in a tailored jacket all day and wants to veg out in front of Mr's Fry and Laurie when they get home and a tailored jacket is really not conducive to that, does not automatically assume that they are fat underneath and that if he says anything resembling that statement in the next 5 seconds he will be kicked summarily down the stairs. I got a blank face. It's nice to know that electricity companies let their idiots loose on the streets of the UK instead of just on the phones like other companies.

Anyway : resume regular broadcast. And to make this vaguely Fry related have a video of what I was watching before I answered the door and got annoyed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsuBrrnDZcw

ysabella

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 4:12am Post subject: Brief rant
I really dislike people coming to my door selling stuff of any kind. Here where I live we've had companies that make windows sending people out a whole bunch, like four times in six weeks, by giving away FREE! heat-efficiency checks. And a whole bunch of carpet-cleaning companies offering FREE! dry foam treatment on one room.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 4:22am Post subject: Brief rant
O.o What the hell?! How rude! Speaking as a member of the chunky brigade, that chap sucks!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 10:13am Post subject: Brief rant
What a rude sod. Good I'm glad you set him straight. It wasn't necessary to ask such personal questions in the first place.

Assuming direct control...

Gayalondiel

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 10:23am Post subject: Brief rant
*headdesk* what an idiot. If it's any consolation, he'd have been mortified... Similar thing happened to me once, (being reasonably curvy but with what I tend to feel is a reasonable hip/waist ratio), I got faint from the summer heat on the tube once and a little old lady sat down beside me and asked how far along I was...

Zefla

Posted Tue Feb 12th, 2008 6:08pm Post subject: Brief rant
*headdesk* what an idiot. If it's any consolation, he'd have been mortified... Similar thing happened to me once, (being reasonably curvy but with what I tend to feel is a reasonable hip/waist ratio), I got faint from the summer heat on the tube once and a little old lady sat down beside me and asked how far along I was...

eep! Thats worse than mine! I get the feeling now, thinking back, that he was trying to annoy me as I'd told him to bugger off. (hindsights wonderful isn't it?) and i'm only a UK 12(had to get measured for a bridesmaid dress the other week but thats a whole different story...er dress..yuck) so its not as if i'm classed as chunky anyway. I would have thought one of the doctors i work for would have mentioned it if it was that big a deal.

Ysabella: Free stuff's cool. People can give me free stuff all they want!