Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anne (Annie), Ms.

Posted Sun May 13th, 2007 7:28pm Post subject: Bright Young Things
Well here I am, even though it is a bit beneath one's dignity to admit to being star-struck. But I am star-struck. I never thought I would be star-struck with Stephen Fry, although I have always had a fondness for him in his various roles. It's Bright Young Things, you see - the film that is on a par with the angels. Head and shoulders above the Waugh novel from which it was taken. It is a poem, a perfect symphony of ideas and glimpses into human relationships. A story brilliantly understood and interpreted by a superior mind. A story adapted and rewritten as is should have been written in the first place by the original author. This is what makes Stephen Fry soar to the top of my most admired list.

"Bright Young Things" has an absolutely tip-top class of actors whose talents are superbly brought out through Fry's direction. The very lovely Stephen Campbell Moore (yes, you thought I was going to say Emily Mortiner didn't you?) as Adam I must mention, and James McAvoy's feverishly notable part as Simon Balcairn. I also adored Peter O'Toole as Colonel Blount (whose short-lived scenes are unfailingly rewatchable), and I always very much enjoy Jim Broadbent (who played the drunk major). And ... well for a complete cast list you can click here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325123/fullcredits#cast . They are all so very, very good.

"Bright Young Things" is a definite masterpiece. One of the less-than-ten films I've ever thought worthy of purchasing. It is a work of art that proves humankind is still capable of the sublime. Fry's is a mind able to forge it's way through the mass of inconsequential human vanities such as self-congratulation, being fashionable, using second-hand ideas to keep up with the post-modern Jones's. He hones right in to the essence of his own particular interpretation of Waugh's "Vile Bodies" and never once loses sight of it. Fry's is very much a mind to hold as a bar of excellence in all human endeavor.

Your with discretion,
Anne (Annie), Ms.
(well I couldn't use Sue de Nimes, could I?)

ClareBear

Posted Sun May 13th, 2007 10:02pm Post subject: Bright Young Things
Otherwise located here:

http://stephenfry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543&start=0

You're missing David Tennant as Ginger, and i'm sure I saw Mark Gatiss in there somewhere.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 6:43pm Post subject: Bright Young Things
Mark Gatiss was in there. Very briefly.

Assuming direct control...

Spiny Norman

Posted Tue Dec 18th, 2007 3:16pm Post subject: Bright Young Things
I found it for 1 euro, isn't that nice.

Saturn

Posted Tue Dec 18th, 2007 7:48pm Post subject: Bright Young Things
This was not one of my favourite films.

Kudos for Stephen for writing, directing and so forth, but this was a cold, cold, hideous bunch of people, totally unsympathetic. I wasn't interested in any of them and didn't care about any of them.

Maybe it's not Stephen's fault, Evelyn Waugh polarises people, you either get it or don't.

I loved the novel and TV series of Brideshead, but apart from that meh...