Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Occy

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 6:10am Post subject: British Rail
WTF - nearly 200 dollars - or 80 pounds - to go from norfolk to london - if I ever get over there a car is a must - 200 will fill the tank twice over...3 if I get the car I want lol

Ahh cart before the horse time again people

How do you do it? I mean here - for a 3 hours journey - it would cost a max of 15$ and to travel where I live from melbourne is barely $50 return - ridiculous!

Jarus

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 2:15pm Post subject: British Rail
British Rail encompasses 2 our most loved pastimes; queuing and complaining, as such it's a bloody disgrace and they should all be shot!

Although you've not had the pleasure of dealing with our ISP's yet, as a brief guide; 02 if your cheap and enjoy torrenting/downloading large files or Zen if you want excellent service and are happy to pay a little more.

Edit: Although seeing your choosing Norfolk to London you are obviously a person of great taste and intelligence

Maxx England

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 3:22pm Post subject: British Rail
Different countries have different problems, but I would get used to the idea that 100 miles is considered, by most urban Britons, to be a Long Distance, and driving in urban/suburban conditions here can sap your will to live nearly as badly as a pop radio DJ.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 8:25pm Post subject: British Rail
It is a shame....for $250 USD i can drive the 11 hour journey from my parents house outside of cincinnati to my old apartment in savannah. so odd that its so very expensive.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

fryfan20

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 9:23pm Post subject: British Rail
railway where to start, the NL one is a nightmare.
a common joke here is: since the Germans left, there haven't been a train on time.
but that they want to change and to change it they apparently need a lot of money so the prize for a ticket went up, way up (!)

I am what I am

acidcat

Posted Sat Jan 10th, 2009 10:44pm Post subject: British Rail
Woo! Occy! £80? They do realise that you're just trying to travel from Norfolk, not buy it?

If you think the price is the worst bit, wait till you actually use the train.

You might not end up waiting ages on the platform for the train to arrive, after the first one scheduled was cancelled, and the subsequent one was delayed. And when you finally get aboard, sometimes there are seats, and you aren't always crammed into an impromptu game of sardines. And if you're lucky, sometimes in exchange for the money you paid the train company, they might actually provide you with a train that takes you from where you started to where you wanted to go to, instead of providing a "rail replacement bus" which adds approximately an aeon to your journey time.

Makes me wistful for the pre-privatisation days of British Rail (Having said that, I never really used the trains in those days so it might have been just as bad - but I doubt it. I assume at least it can't possibly have been this expensive, can it?).

The final kick in the swingers is that as the service is so unbelievably bad, they were allowed to raise fares to allow the train companies to improve the service. Now ignore the fact that the head honchos of all these companies get paid a fortune, the shareholders of the company rake in a decent amount, and the government subsidises the railways anyway (at least a little bit), why are we getting screwed over for their inefficiency? And whatever happened to encouraging us to use public transport to save the planet? Yaaaaaaaaargh!

Now must go and lie down before I burst an artery. Or my entire head.

joan

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 1:15am Post subject: British Rail
It's all Thatcher's fault of course - she privatised them. Evil, she was. I used to love the trains when I lived there, but clearly the system has been ruined. I was right to depart when Madam Thatcher got elected - that woman has so much to answer for....

ClareBear

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 8:29am Post subject: British Rail
When i lived in the Netherlands the trains there were MILES better than ours.

Occy

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 9:19am Post subject: British Rail
car it is then...best get on with getting my license!

80 pounds according to the british rail site - and that's not even first class.
ETA: look at me - whinging already - didn't I say I wasn't a whinger?

smilla.jaspersen

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 3:49pm Post subject: British Rail
a common joke here is: since the Germans left, there haven't been a train on time. X-D
in germany it depends on where you wanna go. when i have to travel to hamburg, i always go by train (58 € for both routes is a good price plus it only takes 2 hours). but to munich i will always go by plane - trains and buses need too much time and cost nearly the same as a plane ticket.
anyway, i love travelling in ireland by bus!

WhyGenTom

Posted Sun Jan 11th, 2009 10:50pm Post subject: British Rail
car it is then...best get on with getting my license!

80 pounds according to the british rail site - and that's not even first class.
ETA: look at me - whinging already - didn't I say I wasn't a whinger?

Trains are expensive but they're not as bad as most people would have you believe (not outside of the big cities any way). However, I believe to get from my town Sleaford to Glasgow (about 300miles) is £130 return by train, whereas it's £9.90 by Megabus... slightly rediculas but hey, what's wrong with hitchhiking? You said you don't like the heat and trains, car and buses won't help so hitchhiking is possibly the perfect solution?

acidcat

Posted Mon Jan 12th, 2009 12:55am Post subject: British Rail
WhyGenTom - Do you hitchhike then? Are you successful? I just never really see any anymore, and I assumed that people won't pick up hitchhikers due to fears about safety.

But you're completely right, coach is WAY cheaper. Haven't really used them much other than the Oxford-London ones which are excellent, and the Cambridge-Oxford (X5) which is really not excellent (but amazingly cheap!).

Good luck with your licence Occy!

Occy

Posted Mon Jan 12th, 2009 5:58am Post subject: British Rail
I don't hate trains - I just hate paying that much. To get to my place from my parents place - 6 hrs or 400+ km travel is around 20 pounds

To go interstate - to Sydney - wouldnt cost more than 80 pounds lol

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Jan 12th, 2009 2:43pm Post subject: British Rail
WhyGenTom - Do you hitchhike then? Are you successful? I just never really see any anymore, and I assumed that people won't pick up hitchhikers due to fears about safety.

Well a few years ago I could usually "hitchhike" to school because of the lack of buses... basically it was more of a disorganised car pull because it was a series of tiny villages seperated by miles and miles of fields. Gives me a sort of trusting whimsickle (sp?) liking for it but in reality... across the larger more urban areas of the country I wouldn't dream of trying it lol.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Jan 13th, 2009 1:41pm Post subject: British Rail
Tried hitching a few years ago and it wasn't a great success. This country has become a suspicious place, and nobody much wants to stop and help you in case you're an axe murderer. The other side of the coin is that, an particularly if you're female, there are some bad people driving around; do you want to put yourself in a vulnerable position?

Trains? Some are actually OK, but others, oh dear. Oh deary, deary me

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?