Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 13th, 2009 5:24pm Post subject: British Rail
Hitchhiking here is really playing roulette, wether you're male or female. The incidence of male on male rape is fairly high, though authorities feel it is grossly under-reported for various socio-psychological reasons. Florida had a guy called The Hog Trail killer. As a man, you wouldn't want a lift from that guy.

On trains: I haven't been to Germany in several years ( late 90's was the last time ), but I was well impressed and it was a terrific experience traveling up the Rhine that way. Also into Holland. Zero complaints from this Yank. I had thought of taking a train into London while in England, but my friends warned me against it and offered to drive me instead. I didn't want to see London bad enough to bother them with it.

There are train enthusiasts here who insist that any opportunity for a similar system of mass transport to occur was destroyed by the car and the government acted in collusion with that. No small amount of conspiracy theory inserts itself X-D Americans are so car crazy because instead of it taking three hours to cross our country, it takes ( at a minimum ) three days. With still so much land rushing off into the horizon, combined with the thrill of independence ( and control ) that a car gives to us, I think it will be a long time before the train industry, as a means of public transport, ever recovers from the production of automobiles. And, btw, train tickets here can also be as expensive as an airplane.

Really? Wow.

Desdemona

Posted Thu Jan 15th, 2009 2:00am Post subject: British Rail
which trains are you catching?

there are more expensive ones (like virgin) which get there super fast
Birmingham to london 1 1/2 hours
i don't know the prices but they are usually high and tend to be used by commuters

However something like London Midland are cheaper but not as fast and stop more.
B to L in 2 1/2 hours.
(£16 childs fair inc. underground and buss')

Skip Life and come with me?

chriseccles

Posted Thu Jan 15th, 2009 10:25am Post subject: British Rail
It's all Thatcher's fault of course - she privatised them. Evil, she was. I used to love the trains when I lived there, but clearly the system has been ruined. I was right to depart when Madam Thatcher got elected - that woman has so much to answer for....

I think it was dr beeching and Harold wilson who really started it all ( could be wrong about the pm my memorys starting to grow hazy) at the time dr beeching was being paid more by the government than the pm was to sort the trains out and they've been trying to sort it out ever since. Also at the sane time (50's) the complaints on rail service were exactly the same.

Fiona

Posted Thu Jan 15th, 2009 2:50pm Post subject: British Rail
My Monthly Zonecard for work has recently gone up to about £80. I live really near Glasgow but apparently I need to go through 'too many recognised zones' for it to be any cheaper. Need to work who knows how many days just so I can pay my card to come to work to do it all over again

Corona

Posted Fri Jan 16th, 2009 4:33pm Post subject: British Rail
The Greens want us all to use public transport. It doesnt go wehere I want to go and it doesnt do it when I want to go. Fix it and i will use it. Until then I am driving because Im in charge not a company or union or a timetable.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Jan 16th, 2009 5:37pm Post subject: British Rail
The Greens want us all to use public transport. It doesnt go wehere I want to go and it doesnt do it when I want to go. Fix it and i will use it. Until then I am driving because Im in charge not a company or union or a timetable.

That's nothing, mate, you should hear me rant about buses

Fire and brimstone, bulging blood vessels, thumping the table, the complete and unBowdlerised works.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Maxx England

Posted Sat Jan 17th, 2009 5:23pm Post subject: British Rail
Damnation! I will rant!

The modern British motor omnibus has not significantly changed in nearly 80 years. There have been improvements in the mechanicals and there are now fluorescent lights, but nothing else has changed.

The seats are still, in a world becoming filled with the obese, scaled for impoverished and malnourished 1930s factory workers. Luggage provision fails to take account of the increase in personal goods carried or the amount of shopping which is bought these days.

Ventilation still consists of windows, which, when opened, inflict howling gales upon innocent victims, at the same time as completely failing to relieve the drooling cretins who are unable to undo their own buttons to achieve cooling. Many of us suffer from hay fever; in summer, we are bombarded with a turbulent, dust laden and strongly ionised air stream. Where is the pollen filtered air conditioning?

One day, I am going to be cornered by a Green, and by God, they'll regret it the rest of their miserable anaemic beige and joyless wholemeal sandal days.

Public transport!? HUMBUG! DO YOU HEAR ME, HUMBUG!

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

joan

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 12:26am Post subject: British Rail
Back to the old push bike then. You can ride twenty miles to the mars bar. (Honest, it's true: when you ride long distances you get what cyclists call 'hunger knock': your legs start to shake and if you donl't eat something you fall off your bike half dead. Eat something like a mars bar and the wobbles don't re-start for 20 miles)

WhyGenTom

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 3:34pm Post subject: British Rail
Back to the old push bike then. You can ride twenty miles to the mars bar. (Honest, it's true: when you ride long distances you get what cyclists call 'hunger knock': your legs start to shake and if you donl't eat something you fall off your bike half dead. Eat something like a mars bar and the wobbles don't re-start for 20 miles)

You can also get testi's-tortion (for gods sake don't google it)

Jarus

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 7:56pm Post subject: British Rail

You can also get testi's-tortion (for gods sake don't google it)

I googled it...what has been seen cannot be unseen!