Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Fri Oct 30th, 2009 7:30pm Post subject: British slide guitar festival

A post by Percy The Wonderant on the Michael Messer forum:

Hi Folks,

On the 5th of January 2009 MM started the thread ‘Where in the World are You?’ in ‘Talking Blues’.

“Another reason for finding out where forum members and visitors are based is because I have been thinking about putting an event together where we could all meet for a day. There could be instruments and accessories exhibited and some performances, classes and lectures. This is something that I have wanted to do for a while, but not done anything about making it happen. Maybe 2009 is the time to start!”

As a reaction, and with a huge amount of help and encouragement form Michael I have arranged 'The 1st British Slide Guitar Festival'. A general get together, workshop, and evening concert for a hundred like minded souls on 23rd of January 2010.

Michael Messer has agreed to perform with his musical partner of many years Ed Genis. Lucy Zirins will provide support.

Michael will also host a workshop during the late afternoon for those of us who want to know how he really does it.

In addition there will be trade stands, and a talk about the history of slide, by Ian McWee, ‘From beef bones & rail track nails, to plastic wonders'. He will bring a full set of examples to pass around for folks to try, and the session will be illustrated musically by the playing of Steve Thompson. After which a ‘Diamond Bottlenecks’ Slide will be raffled. The proceeds will go to to Music Machine - ‘music for the community’ an open access project which in conjunction with the Chelmsley Wood Baptist Church provide instruction and support as well as access to instruments in the B33,36 & 37 postcodes.

The programme will start in the early afternoon, (doors open at noon), with a getting to know each other session and a ‘Rolling Buffet’ . As the afternoon progresses, between the more formal events there will be an open mic. Those with a little less confidence can sign up for a ‘partnered jam’ and spend a while playing together and perhaps taking the the open mic as a duo etc..

This will all take place in the Godiva Room and conservatory of The Red Lion, a 500 year old Coaching Inn & three star hotel situated in Long Street in Atherstone, North Warwickshire, In addition to a very good restaurant, bar meals are also available.

Attendees will be eligible to take advantage of a Single occupancy tariff of £49 per night with B&B in one of the 37 rooms available.

01827 713 156 Fax: 01827 711 404 E-mail: info@atherstoneredlion.co.uk .

I chose Atherstone because it is situated on the A5 between the M6 M1 and M42. Travel is easy from all but the most far flung parts of England. I have checked the current availability of rail super saver return tickets from York, Leeds, Cardiff, Exeter, Bristol, Southampton, and Liverpool and none costs more than £17 to Atherstone Station.

If you are travelling from London oldmanblue will have some empty seats in his cab which need to be filled.

In order to keep costs low and make this event available to as many forum members as possible, admission will be by pre payment. On receipt of payment a unique reference will be issued which will be required to gain entrance. Advance subscription of the full fee of is £25 required.

For details of how to register please send a PM to PercytheWonderAnt

Or just post a note here and I will get in touch!

I really look forward to meeting you all there and putting some faces to names. If we can all make this work once we can move on to organising the 2nd British Slide Festival. Its up to you............

Percy

Attachment: http://michaelmesser.proboards.com/index.cgi?actio.....post=19993

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Fri Oct 30th, 2009 7:58pm Post subject: British slide guitar festival

I watched some of his videos Maxx...vera, vera kewl

If you like that sorta music, check this wonderful old gal out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP9viMhw0zA

Really? Wow.

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Oct 30th, 2009 8:14pm Post subject: British slide guitar festival

Nitro, this clip made me weep.

I'm going to post it on the greatnorthstrum thread. GNS will love it. xxx

basilhenriques

Posted Sun Nov 8th, 2009 12:03pm Post subject: British slide guitar festival

Pat and myself will be there joining in the fun..
Our first UK gig since this :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUFzQYM7OdA

Maxx England

Posted Mon Nov 9th, 2009 12:08pm Post subject: British slide guitar festival

But will that scandalous lap steeler, Dave Boothroyd, be there? He knows about it.

Nitro

Posted Tue Nov 10th, 2009 6:33pm Post subject: British slide guitar festival

bowt bowt bowt-a-dotta

bowt bowt bowt-a-dotta screeeeee

Really? Wow.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Nov 10th, 2009 9:34pm Post subject: British slide guitar festival

Scroll through the 1st 45 ses, then stay with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZJ-5-_f9-4

And do NOT forget to turn it up loud