Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Rolf

Posted Wed May 28th, 2008 9:49am Post subject: Brunau vs. Braunau in Making History
I am just rereading "Making History" and still wonder whether the consistent use of Brunau instead of Braunau am Inn as Hitler's birth place is deliberate. Unfortunately I cannot find any information about it on the web.
Does anybody know anything about it?

Even the geographical coordinates given in the book point to Brunau, Austria which isn't Hitler's place of birth.

Loona

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 5:21pm Post subject: Brunau vs. Braunau in Making History
There`s not much: http://www.tripple.net/contator/bundesland/ort.asp?okz=16415
As far as I know you can use Brunau as the english spelling for Braunau, like the german Nürnberg is written Nuremberg.
There are a lot of Brunaus both in Austria & Germany.
There is also a restrict Braunau which is an austrian area including several towns.
Confusing.

But maybe to remind us that it`s a novel to enjoy reading, not a historical scientific document?!?

You really did check the coordinates??

I don`t think that they have not recherched well...

Rolf

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 11:29am Post subject: Brunau vs. Braunau in Making History
Thank you, Loona.

Yes I also would have thought that Brunau is an English spelling for Braunau.
I happend to have Google Earth running when reading the first chapter containing the coordinates, so I looked it up. And thus it turned out to be indeed Brunau - the wrong place.

I would also agree that it is perhaps a means to remind the reader of the fictitious nature of the story. But then, perhaps it has also been a matter of looking at a map, finding a place with vaguely the correct name and picking its coordinates?

Anyway, I enjoy the book at least as much as during the first reading, i.e., it is still a "bitching, slamming, waycool" Meisterwerk.

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 5:51pm Post subject: Brunau vs. Braunau in Making History
The only thing I know about Hitler's birth is the following quote from the Vicar of Dibley...

It’s the worst plan since Hitler’s dad said to Hitler’s mom “Go upstairs Brunhilde! I’m feeling saucy tonight!” – Hugo

Sorry that I am of no help at all.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P