Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

sheepchrist

Posted Mon Mar 30th, 2009 9:46pm Post subject: CADD campaign
It is my experience that retailers and shop workers are a much maligned and abused section of the world at work. It seems to be the case that if a person wears a uniform or the obligatory retail name badge they become fair game to everyone with angst.

It appears that many customers actually believe that they are always in the right and the person behind the counter is always a buffoon. We get abused, lampooned, threatened, and treated like dirt. Despite all this negativity we are expected to take it all and respond with a smile and a dothing of the cap. For the sake of good customer relations and services I have to eat large slices of humble pie served with lashings of sarcastic custard on a daily basis.

My daughter also in retail have decided to mount a campaign to have one day a year as a special day – “Customer Care Amnesty Day” or CADD for short, where we get to treat and talk to customers exactly the way they talk to us….

Example: (A customer actually said this to me last week)

Customer: do you realise that I have been waiting here for almost 5 minutes waiting for one of your monkeys to come and serve me?

Manager: Yes madam I know, but I was conducting a social experiment to see how long we could make you wait before you had a seizure and pealed the bananas with your toes.

I cleaned up this example for the sake of the forum’s sensitives despite the fact that “fuck off you cantankerous old witch” would have sufficed.

Maxx England

Posted Mon Mar 30th, 2009 11:42pm Post subject: CADD campaign
I don't suppose it's worth calling your manager or supervisor over when you get this kind of treatment? It takes even more time for the obnox to be served, and you will be seen to be on the moral high ground when you ask the customer to repeat, without omission, their exact words to you in front of the supervisor/manager. Then politely excuse yourself, walk off and leave them to it.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Veg Chick

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 1:32am Post subject: CADD campaign
What a fantastic idea!!!!!

I was a much abused shop assistant, now a much abused lab tech.

I was once accused of poor service and the customer insisted on speaking the store manager(once they had finished yelling at me). Who then gave them a written apology. The bit that gets me, I didn't even serve them!!!!! And also had to suffer the gross indecency of bursting into tears and having to stay on the shopfloor serving other customers.

I did get my own back when I was promoted. As a cocky bloke found out when I wouldn't give him the discount he wanted.

'Not authorised' he said 'Well I want to speak to someone who is authorized, Who are you to decide?'

'The duty manager' that soon shut him up and he paid full price:lol:

Can I suggest that as part of CADD you are allowed to go to an annoying customers house stand there shouting at them and refusing to leave no matter what they do to try and improve the situation.

Do you also have the joys of the company Mistery Shopper to contend with?

You have my sympathies, I don't miss working in retail the tiniest bit.

I am nothing

Ruffian

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 5:08am Post subject: CADD campaign
Reading this makes me so glad that I work where I do... Yes I work in dreaded retail, but I am also fortunate enough to be employed by a small, independent store where I get away with a lot more than I should, and my boss tends to take my word over a customer's. That's not to say I set out to give bad service. I set out to give incredible service, but the rule sort of goes that if you start it, I'm allowed to finish it.

Because I don't wear a uniform or name tag, I often get asked if I work in the store but usually only while I'm doing something that shows quite obviously that I do. Activities such as dusting, rearranging and straightening shelves, or moving large boxes invite this question. My reply, depending on the person is "No, I'm just compulsive." Normally the customer is intelligent enough to get the joke and laugh along with me. I never set out to be mean, but if you're going to ask something so obvious, you deserve the consequences.

Every so often though my mouth will get me into trouble. I used the aforementioned lame comment on a local actor, who well, to put it bluntly was apparently hung over and pretty coked out at the time. This is a theater town so I've had enough experiences with the drug to know what to look for. Long story short, he didn't get the joke because his faculties were too impaired, but I continued on with the conversation during which we came to the conclusion that we didn't have what he was looking for in stock. We offered to order it for him, but he shuffled out of the store not saying much after.

So then he came back an hour later, more coherent and full of fire towards my boss, claiming up and down that I was rude to him, and he'd never shop at the store again, and he was going to advise absolutely everybody he knew the same.

I apologized to him, sincerely, even. Because I've felt jilted by poor service... Though never when I was too messed up to get a joke, because I know that's my fault for getting into that state. My boss shrugged her shoulders after he left and asked me what I said. I told her. She laughed and said "Just be more careful next time, ok?"

"You got it. Next time coke fiend asks me for an obscure book I will coddle his fragile ego." I said. She laughed again, and that was the end of it.

Even funnier was the fact that a former regular at a restaurant I worked at was in the store, and was flabbergasted after the guy left. She said something along the lines of "But it's YOU... I once saw you chase a guy down the street calling out to him in French because he forgot his drink and dessert."

There is just no pleasing some people.

Oh, and funniest of all, despite current economic DOOM, we finished up the year with sales up by 12% over the prior year. Word of mouth via a coke fiend isn't taken too seriously is my conclusion.

Having worked at a variety of independent restaurants, retail stores, and construction companies I've got enough stories like this to fill a sitcom. The mentally disabled guy with the brand new ax in the video store stands out. As does a local author throwing a book at my current boss. Someday I will edit all these down into something remotely entertaining.

To get an idea of the sense of humour where I work, here are our posted winter hours.

Nitro

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 5:49am Post subject: CADD campaign
These stories surprise me, for some absurd reason, and I feel lucky that I've not witnessed the behavior mentioned here.

I have seen people who work in customer service who are barely responsive, ignore customers when they're standing right there ( and no one else is ), or, if they do actually pull themselves up to do their job, take as apathetic a posture as possible. But on one hand, I also think it's kind of unfair to expect anyone not being paid very much while they are working with the public to be shiny, happy people all the time, ever eager to please customers.

OTOH, you think,"Geez, if you hate this work so much then...".

People who verbally abuse those in customer service jobs, or treat them like inferiors not worthy of mutual respect, are 100% Grade A Assholes.

Really? Wow.

Katrina

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 7:58am Post subject: CADD campaign
I never worked in actual retail, but I did work in a water park for four years, which was interesting. I was in Food and Beverage, and I could never believe how important food was to these people. I mean, you come to a water park presumably to swim, so how can food be the most important part of your day?

The restaurant I worked in for three or those summers was basically made up of teenagers burning cheeseburgers and mozzarella sticks, and if you have any common sense at all, you KNOW that when you walk up to a place like that, a) your choices are limited, b) the food's probably going to suck, c) that it is not a five star establishment.

So WHY do people feel like they can order three extra cups of nacho cheese, or a sprinkling of onions on the side, or a half cup of fries for half the price? You know what: if you wanted the gourmet luxury of McDonald's, there's one right down the street. And don't yell at me about it, because I didn't cook it anyway.

Actually, I know why customers act that way: they're fucking stupid. Really.
1) "How much does this cost?"
Me: "I don't know, but the huge-ass MENU says (as I turn around and read it in front of them)"
2) "I had to wait an HOUR to order!"
Me: (in my head, of course) "No, you didn't HAVE to wait an hour, you CHOSE to get in line when it was a mile long. Come back in a little while when we're bored out of our minds cleaning."
3) "How could you lose my order? Just look at your computers!"
Me: "What computers? I know your entire career has been spent working in upscale establishments such as KFC, but our shack was not blessed with such technology. Perhaps your receipt got lost in the midst of 50 others on the counter being worked by 15-year-olds."
4) "Make my burger medium-rare."
Me: "Yeah, we'll get right on that. Our trained chefs will treat your meal with the utmost care. Seriously, do ask for that at any other fast food place?"
5) "I want thirty hot dogs and thirty fries ready at 12:30 (even though it's like 11:00)
Me: "Okay, we'll totally remember that for an hour and a half, and we won't say a word when you come back and bitch about everything being cold. We are not the catering kitchen, and we suggest you call them for your large ordering needs."
6) "Can I have six cheese fries?"
Me: "Sure, even though our window is three quarters of the way down, it's 6:00, we're ready to go home, and the fryers are off. No problem.

And my personal favorite...
"I want a medium drink, half Sprite, half Hawaiian Punch/water/lemonade."
I am not a bartender, and you're fucking weird.

People feel so tough when they pick on high school kids who are terrified of being fired on the spot.

The thing is, people are allowed to bring whatever they want into the park, so when they complain about the quality and price of the food, it doesn't make any sense. Bring your own stuff if you're so fucking picky. And most of your fat asses don't need anything generated in a fryer.

The good thing is, I'm 75% sure I don't have to go back for summer number five. Getting out of there is kind of a big deal, like getting out of the ghetto. And because I've worked there, I now know a lot about the GED and the Juvenile Detention system.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

sheepchrist

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 12:03pm Post subject: CADD campaign
I don't suppose it's worth calling your manager or supervisor over when you get this kind of treatment? It takes even more time for the obnox to be served, and you will be seen to be on the moral high ground when you ask the customer to repeat, without omission, their exact words to you in front of the supervisor/manager. Then politely excuse yourself, walk off and leave them to it.

X-D X-D I am the manager X-D X-D

Corona

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 1:09pm Post subject: CADD campaign
I am just glad i never worked in a shop or anything. I hope you all find better work soon.

PamJH

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 2:00pm Post subject: CADD campaign
I worked at a bar where customer tried to use her coach's whistle to summon me. I spoke to the manager and he tossed her out. What a guy.

Boiler12: I know your experience was awful, but the way you wrote it was awfully funny.

Nitro

Posted Tue Mar 31st, 2009 2:55pm Post subject: CADD campaign

Boiler12: I know your experience was awful, but the way you wrote it was awfully funny.

I second that!! I laughed my ass off reading that X-D

Really? Wow.

Katrina

Posted Wed Apr 1st, 2009 2:46am Post subject: CADD campaign

I second that!! I laughed my ass off reading that X-D

Hey man, Deep River Waterpark is the place to be! It only blew when we actually had to do shit, but otherwise I got to meet some... unusual people. It was fascinating because there were about 450 employees, so it was like a small high school: I knew everyone by the end of four years. Food and beverage were alcoholics, maintenance were stoners, guest services were most likely to abuse prescription drugs, and the lifeguards were just complete douche-rockets.

I did eventually move to catering, so that was way more fun, doing birthday parties all day, never seeing customers. I not going to lie, though, I've done some horrible things to people's food. The movie Waiting is all true. Really.

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...