Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 4:02pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Were you a fan of Mr.Wilde before you were a fan of Mr.Fry?

Which Wlide works have you read? ( This is a pop quiz....j/k)

I'm not any kind of expert by a long, long, long shot. But I've read he was a Freemason and belonged to some other 'secret order' ( that always sounds so spooky lol ) called The Ascendancy(sp?). Anyone know if this is true or not?

I've also read that his interest in Gnosticism ( wow, gets spookier all the time huh? ), contributes to the heavy occult symbolism in his writings.

Not everyone sees his childrens stories as being aimed only at children, but adults as well because he knew full well the stories would often be read to children by adults, and that his challenges of mainstream morality would impact the adults view of the world at least as much.

Really? Wow.

tito

Member *

Posted Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 5:05pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

I though this thread was 'Wild' experts.

I was going to tell you about the time I went wild and bit.................

But it's not so...................................

quantumofire

Posted Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 1:03pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

The only book I've got on Wilde is a biography by Gary Schmidgall called The Stranger Wilde - Interpreting Oscar. Which seems to indicate that he shunned away from secret societies and it says in the only line could find that -

'His indulgence in Freemasonry was inevitably quite short-lived.'

I doubt if he was into all that occult stuff, but there was a lot of it about at the turn of the century (all that theosophy garbage). And he was very well read in all the Greek and Roman classics. So I imagine bits of mythology creeps in somewhere. But I don't think all that occult mumbo-jumbo is really his style.

When I read the childhood stories like the Happy Prince and The Selfish Giant that deal with the idea of the outsider, I find they bring me closer philosophy of Wilde, stripped of all its frippery.

http://quantumofire.blogspot.com/

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 4:29pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

My friend did buy me his collected works some years ago. This doesn't, however, make me an expert. It just means I've read what he's written.

I don't know what else to say really.

Aha! Many children's stories are also aimed at/ or can be comfortably read by adults too.

Roald Dahl and Kenneth Grahame are two writers who spring to mind that did this.

I've read the Wind In The Willows by myself as an adult.

May I tangent?

There was a documentary on Kenneth Grahame on the BBC recently. I wished I'd never watched it. He was an idiot. It disappointed me.

quantumofire

Posted Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 7:38pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Sorry Nitro, my last post was a bit premature. I found this paragraph in the biog -

'Occult powers appear to have played a part in Oscar's thinking. He and his wife had several times consulted fortune-tellers. In the summer of 1894, one of them predicted a trip with Bosie in January, and Oscar wrote to tell him: "The only thing that consoles me is what Sibyl of Mortimer Street (whom mortals term Mrs Robinson) said to me. If I believe her I would, but I can't, and I know that early in January you and I will go away together for a long voyage."

But that's the only mention of the occult in the whole book.

I've read most of Wilde's stories and some of his plays. A lot of the children stories where later animated, and I first found most of them through those.

But I have the complete works, including the plays and all his poems and essays and letters. I read The Picture of Dorian Gray after I first saw the film, back in my early twenties. I'm afraid we weren't a very literate home, and so wasn't my school.

I love line from his Phrases and Philosophies for the Use of the Young -

'Only the shallow know themselves'

It kind of makes life into an adventure

Breaking contradictions in his mind was, to him, like walking through a winter forest snapping twigs underfoot.

Nitro

Posted Tue Oct 27th, 2009 1:37am Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

I found this on the Freemasons thing:

http://www.mqmagazine.co.uk/issue-4/p-08.php

BTW, my disclaimer is that I don't spend a helluva lot of time assuring credibility of any link LOL

But, if the above is correct..he basically was discharged from his lodge for not paying his membership dues lol

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Fri Oct 30th, 2009 8:01am Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Based on the reaction to this thread - almost none LOL - is it safe to assume that though many liked the movie 'Wilde' starring Mr.Fry, they decided instead to direct their energies into discovering Mr.Fry instead of discovering Mr.Wilde?

BTW, they aren't one and the same LOL Sorry, couldn't resist...

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Sat Oct 31st, 2009 5:02am Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Hello Nitro. I'm not really a Wilde expert, but I guess there are plenty on this forum so I am surprised they haven't all piled in.

As for the mason's business, well...when I was at university you ended up joining all sorts of clubs and societies in your fresher year, then just let the membership lapse in the second. I suppose it was the same for Wilde. I don't know if his dad was a mason. He was a well respected doctor so perhaps he was. And judging by Wilde's very open and flamboyant character I don't think he really took to all that 'secret' society stuff too much with all its rules and regulations. I think he was more fascinated with the occult side, but I guess it soon waned as most of it was just for show.

And, Oh, I thought Mr Fry was the re-incarnation of Mr Wilde.

Nitro

Posted Wed Nov 4th, 2009 10:28pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

quantum, i've decided without any prompting whatsoever by more intelligent folk than myself, and there are many - believe me! - that i am an expert on wilde and can now say without any doubt whatseover, based on no research at all, the following:

1) Oscar Wilde was not just a Mason, he was also a habberdasher and liked to play with dust bunnies

2) His favorite drink was Lemon anything

3) On the third Tuesday of every month, he would stand in the middle of any available public park and pretend he could speak fluent French. It sounded like this:

"Fwa fwa qwa nah nah sa see et mee plu"

4) he took ice cold baths - which is clear evidence of psychopathic behavior no matter how hot it is or the temperature of ones fever

5) his favorite color was all of them, except grey which he reserved for metaphors

These are just some of the unrefuted facts about Oscar Wilde.
There may be more...

Really? Wow.

quantumofire

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 3:48pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Thank you Nitro for enlightening me in area concerning our dear Oscar of which I was completely befuddled with.

However I believe Lemons should be replaced by Kumquats. As his Swahili tutor, Professor Minuscule Kumquat, was a profound influence on his toilet. And after dismembering him, reserved him in an icebox in order to refresh his regular tipple.

Information taken from Mr Pooh's Lexicon of
Clarisimplificationalisticalism.

Nitro

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 9:28pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Heh heh heh, lucky for the world you and me showed up Quantum!

Had you noticed on page 24 of this months issue of "History for Hysterical Historians", that some as yet undiscovered letters between Oscar and Professor Kumquat were found in the wall behind a toilet in the Monastery Of Non-Existence? (Which was built in 1375 by a French monk sent off to Swahili for dismembering holy books ). They only printed a couple of them. I'd relay the contents except the doctors where I currently reside won't give me the magazine back I think you may be able to find a copy still on the stands at your local newstand or bookstore though. Good luck!

Really? Wow.

tito

Member *

Posted Fri Nov 6th, 2009 11:11pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

It's out of print. I briefly took over the country one night and decided to burn all the intellectual books.

Sorry, but there it is.

Nitro

Posted Sun Nov 8th, 2009 2:38pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Dear Agony Aunt,

Your political powers do not work where you think they do I'm afraid. When you weren't looking, your staff, ( the ones you charged to burn all those books ), had them secreted away in the care of various historians. We do appreciate your recent sense of political omnipotence and the sordid way it came about, but as you were not in favor with the countries intelligentsia, ( remember all those death threats you issued towards them in your electioneering speeches? ), it was fairly easy for your staff to gain their assistance.

As I write this, historians the world over are recieving boxes and boxes of precious information and would like to assure you they are beyond your reach now.

BTW, as a part-time, volunteer editor for The Hysterical Historians quarterlies that come out every month, I'm the one that sent you the rejection letter about the article you penned,"My Bloodline Came Before Your Bloodline.". I found your assertions that your family tree was the first ever planted anywhere, totally unfounded and without any supporting evidence to substantiate such an absurd claim.Our magazine is known for usually only printing articles with at least a minimum of five pages of footnotes and references. Yours contained none.

We hope you find your rule as PM amazing and are waiting in the wings to write about your influence on History; Past, Present, and Future.

Kindly yours,
Alan Smithie

Really? Wow.

tito

Member *

Posted Sun Nov 8th, 2009 2:50pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Dear Smithie yours Alan kindly,

My family tree:

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/bd4fe5a4-d27.....7321f3.jpg

And I include a:

http://www.creativesynthesis.net/blog/wp-content/u.....otnote.png

to back it up.

I must also warn you that Judge Judy is my grandmother.

Best love,

Agony Aunt

Nitro

Posted Mon Nov 9th, 2009 3:00pm Post subject: Calling Wilde Experts

Dear Prime Minister,

Why didn't you tell us your grandmother was the venerable Judge Judy? We'll annotate that somewhere today.

I sent your tree and foot picture to some of my colleagues. A few of them say they need more time to study the foot picture, but though all are agreed that the tree appears to be very old, there is some worry about plasticine and miniature sets being involved.

All claims must be substantiated and I cannot emphasize that enough. Even from one in such a lofty position as yourself.

Now, in the context of this thread, if you were to perhaps...oh, I don't know...influence Q and myself with some bit of Wilde trivia, or a hefty bribe, we might be able to expedite the process of verification by our historical experts, ( or simply find all substantiations of your claim unecessary forthwith and hencely ).

Most oddly,
Alan

Really? Wow.