Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

panda

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 4:39pm Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
Hi everyone
Over the last year or so I've found I really needed to find ways to help my brain relax and switch off after work. To slow and distract my mind from office politics and business of the day, otherwise I'd find my mind whirring all evening and then keep me up all night. I've found some books that were ideal for this purpose, and am now reading at least a book a week or a fortnight, and so am running out! I'd really appreciate anyones suggestions or recommendations, something good but light.

I've found books by Alexander McCall Smith invaluable for this. He writes the series The Number One Ladies Detective Agency - there are 7 or so in the series.
And The Sunday Philosophy Club series. And another 2 series.

I sometimes find P G Wodehouse can be good too, with his Jeeves and Wooster and other series.

I've also been recommended Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

I've also read quite a few novels relating to bipolar, depression or similar and have found those good, so am interested in reading more of those. But really the light humorous, but well written books are really useful and soothing to the brain!

Any suggestions very welcome...

thanks
Panda

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 5:43pm Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
I've heard good things about Alexander McCall Smith. I've also been stupid enough once to read an entire detective novel in the bookstore and not manage to remember the name of the author or the main character - just the fact that I really liked it and it had been translated from Italian. Since then I've periodically tried to locate the author and the book series.

As far as light and humorous stuff - Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Detective-genre-wise, G.K. Chesterton is fun; R Austin Freeman is fun... Tom Stoppard is a riot, but never read his prose, only his plays. Thomas Pynchon is a difficult read, but very entertaining. "Confederacy of Dunces" is a bloody awesome book... and I'm blanking on who wrote it.... I know he killed himself early in life, so that's a huge bloody loss to world literature.

Right now I'm reading "The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas" by something something Machado de Assis... the Almighty Google tells me that it's Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis. It's good. In places, very good indeed.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 6:49pm Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller was a treat. Made me laugh a lot. Light, but not stupid.

trouser material

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 7:51pm Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
I feel i should buy this book.

meekychuppet

Posted Fri Feb 16th, 2007 8:25pm Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
The Wasp Factory and Sarah Kane's play, 4.48 Psychosis.

panda

Posted Mon Feb 19th, 2007 11:34am Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
Morning everyone
Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I think I will start with The Gun Seller and 4.48 Psychosis. If anyone has any more suggestions, please post them! I think that Alexander McCall Smith's books are more popular with female readers...

meekychuppet

Posted Tue Feb 20th, 2007 1:27pm Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
Bear in mind 4.48 Psychosis is a play so the point is performance.

I remember when I first read it the scales fell off my eyes.

panda

Posted Wed Feb 21st, 2007 12:46pm Post subject: Calming, anti-manic books
Hi
think i've realised that i like comedy, humorous books when i'm relaxing. maybe i will post on the other bits of this forum to see what comedy other people like, if they are stephen fry fans!!
but please keep posting if anyone comes up with any more suggestions
thanks
panda