Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Korbond

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 9:26pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
I have been on Citalopram (20mg,40mg,60mg) for four years but I don't think they are working anymore. Very stressed at the moment (it is late at night) Having a really don't give a fuck time, Knock my house down, shoot me etc etc. FF if you are out there it's time for tea. BTW you deserve a medal.

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Mar 24th, 2008 11:24pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
err I think that's Cipralex is it? Which is what I'm taking as well (20mg dose).

I assume that all medications eventually are overpowered by the body after an immunity is built up... but 4 years sounds a little soon? I mean it's presumably a long-term medication... and if a doctor hasn't mentioned otherwise I would have thought it should still work.

You say you're stressed, which in my experience is a different kettle of fish, and totally overpowers any depression and is lifestyle and surroundings rather than chemical so that's something that has to be addressed seperately.

That's just where I'm seeing it from... hopefully a more knowledgable entity will grace this post soon

Take care.

- Tom

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 10:16am Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
1) Yes, any given medication can prove ineffectual over time ( come see my kitchen cupboard ).

2 ) Periods of 'extra' stress can change the threshold of effectiveness.

3) Booze negates the effect of anti-depressants .

TAVS

Posted Tue Mar 25th, 2008 8:52pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
Hi, it could still be working but if you are stressed that could be over riding its effectiveness. citalopram and other anti-depressants dont cure your symptoms (you probably know this) they just make them easier to handle, speak to your G P he may review your dosage.

I am not a Fan of Stephen Fry, I am an addict.
@TrudyCraig

Korbond

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 10:39pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
Thanks all but I had to find the Valium and take it, it's not a drug of choice but it can work. I no longer want to kill everyone, the list is down to around 176 people.

katysara

Posted Thu Mar 27th, 2008 1:15pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
I just want to back up FF, whose answer is spot on. All antidepressants can become ineffectual over time, how long that period of time is varies from person to person and drug to drug, and situation to situation. Much like FF I have a stash of previous meds...

... the GOOD news is that if you tell your doc and switch to another med, there is no reason why it wont work for you. (You may have to try a couple to find the right one, or the first one may work). From the sound of things you should talk to your doc about maybe meds.

176 people hey? Well that would make you a pretty serious serial killer!

KSx

I am an administrator on this site.

"Having a great intellect is no path to being happy."
~ Stephen Fry

See my website: www.katysaraculling.com

Korbond

Posted Mon Mar 31st, 2008 11:12pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
Well it wasn't really 16:00 but being English it seems the right thing to say. FF and I had a cup of tea and FF helped me sort a lot of the demons out (Even if he didn't know it) Sometimes a friend can work a 1000 times better than meds.

wonder woman

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 1:06am Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
Hi I've had to come off Citalapram as it was making me very psychically ill and it was also making me feel very stressed and suicidal which I've heard that if you have those thoughts you shouldn't take it anyway(I had such a wonderful doctor before I left his practice). I'm now getting really bad withdrawal effects.

chisa

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 10:37pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
in my experience of anti depressants (which is a misnomer); the ones which can stop working are mirtazapine, and prozac.

when i was on mirtazapine and it quit on me i spent 6 months drinking vodka for the anxiety which accompanies withdrawal and nearly died.

this was as i abruptly stopped taking the drug as i knew it was no longer effective. however, the withdrawal nearly killed me and i had little medical help - all the medics were convinced i was an alcoholic; however, when i was re-prescribed antidepressants (in this case sertraline) i was back to normal in a week, no booze, no stress.

i would now like off them but after what i have been through i am terrified to take this path.

even GPs now don't like to prescribe them as they are worried about being left open to legal claims of addiction (from the mouth of my own GP). i would never go down the path of claiming against someone whose motives were to help me but i would like some proper help for people like me who find themselves addicted to ssri type drugs.

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2008 1:20pm Post subject: Can Citalopram stop working?
in my experience of anti depressants (which is a misnomer); the ones which can stop working are mirtazapine, and prozac.

when i was on mirtazapine and it quit on me i spent 6 months drinking vodka for the anxiety which accompanies withdrawal and nearly died.

this was as i abruptly stopped taking the drug as i knew it was no longer effective. however, the withdrawal nearly killed me and i had little medical help - all the medics were convinced i was an alcoholic; however, when i was re-prescribed antidepressants (in this case sertraline) i was back to normal in a week, no booze, no stress.

i would now like off them but after what i have been through i am terrified to take this path.

even GPs now don't like to prescribe them as they are worried about being left open to legal claims of addiction (from the mouth of my own GP). i would never go down the path of claiming against someone whose motives were to help me but i would like some proper help for people like me who find themselves addicted to ssri type drugs.

Hiya Chisa !

Your G.P. seems to be out of step with any G.P. or Consultant I have seen this last 30 + years. Anti- depressants are not chemically addictive in the true sense that you crave more. People do however sometimes mistake either :

1) Being taken off them too soon after the initail 'crisis point' ( when the patient is still ill ) - reveals the continuing presence of the underlying illness. However, When such drugs are withdrawn as/when suitable ( or not in the case of long term and chronic disorders such as myself ) - there is no 'craving' as with barbiturates, alchohol - or cigarettes e.t.c.

2) People often mistake the usual 'discontinuation' effects as some sort of addiction. It is not the same mechanism. Discontinuation or " withdrawl" periods are the physiological effect of such powerful drugs leaving the system - and are directly akin to the uptake or "side effects " when we first start, which also can be very difficult, albeit worth it in the longer run (as with your Sertraline ) .

We are all different - and for example I withdrew from 'Mirtazepine' with minimum dis-comfort. Anxiety during uptake or withdrawl can be dealt with using short courses of tranquilisers - and whichever method is used , need not involve 'self medicating' on booze. If you are having problems, keep it within the knowledge and support network of the local health services.

The most striking point is that you should be having to endure these transitional periods and the illness itself with a G.P. alone - when it would appear that a Psychiatrist's input would be best employed to draw up a fully comprehensive and ( hopefully ) supportive care plan. I had to try many. many medications and endure the uptake and discontinuation of each one. I never felt it was addiction - just adaptation.

Time for a second opinion ?

Take good care of yourself Chisa