Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 2:06am Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
I just got my new iPod (orange and oh, so cute) and downloaded everything from my iMac iTunes list to the iPod. I then deleted a couple of files from iTunes that I don't want on the computer any longer. I thought I saw a message that said the items would also be deleted from my iPod. Does that mean if I plug my iPod into the iMac to download more items, the iPod will sync with what's currently in iTunes and eliminate from the iPod the items I deleted earlier from the computer?

Does this make any sense? Does everything in my iTunes have to match exactly with my iPod? This is probably the most muddled question I've ever asked. The eliminated items are podfics, if that helps.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Shader

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 4:57am Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
I'm pretty sure that whenever you sync your iPod with your computer you'll lose anything that's on the iPod but not on the computer. Usually.

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 5:09am Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
I'm pretty sure that whenever you sync your iPod with your computer you'll lose anything that's on the iPod but not on the computer. Usually.

Well, thank you. I was afraid of that. Not a big deal, I suppose, just annoying.

gjhsu

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 6:04pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
I think if you select the option to Manage your iPod manually, that won't be the case. Not 100% certain, but I've not run into any sync issues, as I like to control what music is or isn't on my iPod (Some songs, I just don't listen to enough to justify taking up space on my portable player).

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 7:52pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
I think if you select the option to Manage your iPod manually, that won't be the case. Not 100% certain, but I've not run into any sync issues, as I like to control what music is or isn't on my iPod (Some songs, I just don't listen to enough to justify taking up space on my portable player).

I'll give this a try. Thank you.

PamJH

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 2:32pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
Here's another question. I need to charge my iPod but I'm in the middle of a an audiobook. If I charge it with a regular charger (not my iMac), would that mean I would keep my place in the book? I fear that if I charged it on my iMac, it would be synced and I'd have to start the book over. I don't see a command on iTunes that says 'charge only" or anything like that.

One thing I haven't figure out is how to skip ahead in something like an audio book. I don't even know if that's possible.

And I apologize if my questions are as clear as mud.

Nitro

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 5:20pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
Here's another question. I need to charge my iPod but I'm in the middle of a an audiobook. If I charge it with a regular charger (not my iMac), would that mean I would keep my place in the book? I fear that if I charged it on my iMac, it would be synced and I'd have to start the book over. I don't see a command on iTunes that says 'charge only" or anything like that.

One thing I haven't figure out is how to skip ahead in something like an audio book. I don't even know if that's possible.

And I apologize if my questions are as clear as mud.

I'lll take a stab at it Pam. Take it FWIW because 1) I don't have an iPod and 2) I don't listen to audiobooks via iTunes or anything else. ( I tried it once and just found my own thoughts 'drowning out' the narrator - who happened to be Christopher Hitchens, a guy I like ).

Is there any kind of option when you are downloading these files, either on your iPod or in iTunes to remember your place? Do you select that option? I seem to recall using iTunes once upon a time ( for music ) and there being an option to do that because things just go screwy sometimes when we download stuff...

OK, so you've already got it downloaded. Sometimes there's a pwer 'interrupt' when charging from a computer vs a wallcharger. This might cause you to be returned to the beginning of the file when you're done charging A wall charger might not cause that though.

For advancing in chapters, on your iPod the chapters aren't listed in the menu like song titles are? Even some old flash players have that option and I think you just scroll down, highlight it, and click on the play or 'ok' button. Else, will your Fast Forward work? Do you still have your iPod manual laying around?

Clearly, an iPod forum will be of way more help than I ever will X-D

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 6:24pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
Just note what minute usage you're at in the book, then go back to it.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 6:31pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
Just note what minute usage you're at in the book, then go back to it.

I'm going to try those things you suggest. You know, I have this lovely iMac and it has so many wonderful things you can do with it. The trouble if finding the time to study everything. And the iPod tutorials don't really tell you all that much.

I like Christopher Hitchens, too. I've never listened to his audiobooks, but I have read God Ruins Everything (might not have the title quite right). After that, I read The God Delusion which also is a very good book with more sources and citations to back up the author's claims.

ClareBear

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 8:53pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
2nd question: it SHOULD start again from where you left off, it's the way videos work unless you specify otherwise.

Nitro

Posted Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 10:20pm Post subject: Can someone help with an iPod question?
2nd question: it SHOULD start again from where you left off, it's the way videos work unless you specify otherwise.

Hey Clare and Pam, I did some Googling and, sadly, the above statement is not true for everyone using an iPod and audiobooks. Pam, I think you may find a lot of different experiences but I hope one of them is similar to yours and provides a solution, if you haven't found it yet.

Re: Christopher Hitchens ( no intent to deviate the topic of the thread Pam, but since you like him I thought I'd provide this link ).

http://www.slate.com/id/2220000/

What I appreciate about Mr.Hitchens is that he refuses to be pigeon-holed by political stereotyping. It was very refreshing, from my perspective, when he called the Clintons on the carpet. He took some heat for that from his liberal friends. IOW, if he considers himself a 'liberal, for instance, he doesn't parrot all liberal thought on a topic. I hope that made sense.

The title of the book you referred to is: "God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything". I tried 'listening' to the book and as much as I like to listen to him debate with someone, I just couldn't do the audiobook even with him narrating X-D

Really? Wow.