Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

PamJH

Posted Fri Mar 20th, 2009 7:48pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Anyone who was not a member of the Stephen Fry Forums by the deadline for participation in the Birthday Card Project, but who wishes for their name to appear on the last page of the Birthday Card (therefore adding their birthday wishes for Stephen) must ensure their interest is declared (on this thread, or via PM to elTweeno) no later than Wednesday 24th June 2009.

Here it is: The list of rules for the birthday card project. I realize this looks like a very long, picky list, but we need to follow the rules to make it work. I've chatted with MP, Ginj and Fryphile (through PMs and such) and here's what's happening:

1. Deadline for US participants to join: Wednesday, March 25 (firm). Deadline for all others to join: Friday, March 27 (firm).

2. Once the card leaves your nation, it won't be coming back unless someone has made a mistake somewhere. If that happens, and it must have happened to someone who signed up in time, we will do our best to get it to you. But everyone should be responsible for knowing who is sending the card to them and where it should go next. We will follow the maps and the order (which will include new people signing up) that MP created which are on Page 3 of the original birthday card thread. I want to try to transfer them over here, but I'm not sure how to do that. If someone else can, feel free.

3. All participants must be willing to give their mailing addresses to the person just before them in line. If not, they can't be in on the project.

4. If you are under the age of 16, please make sure your parents or guardians are OK with this. As a parent of teens, I would expect to know the people my kids are contacting online as far as is possible. They might not want you to give your mailing address to strangers and that's their call. And if you're in a position where you have to ask your folks for money to mail the card, then their permission is almost a must. If your parents have a problem with this and won't allow you to send it on, then we all have a problem. I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but some parents would object to their teens participating in such a project, even an innocent one like this. I certainly can't enforce any of this, as you know. Please just use common sense.

5. Participants should keep the card no longer than 2 days or it will upset the timing and logistics. As soon as you receive it, PM the next person in line so she/he can give you an address for the next destination.

6. You must answer any PM within 48 hours. If you don't, the card goes to the next person in line. Don't send the card to someone who doesn't answer your PM. We must adhere to this or again, we won't have time to complete the card.

7. Use common sense when decorating your page. If you glue something, make sure it's completely dry before you close the book. Tape might be a better choice much of the time. Please don't use markers or paint that might bleed onto someone else's page. Also, it looks like most people want to include their photos with the card. Sounds OK to me, and maybe we can still do a photobucket page with everyone's contributions. If someone wants to take that on, let me know. I don't know the first thing about photobucket.

8. If at all possible, could everyone use a postal tracking method? It costs about 50 or 60 cents in the US. That means if the package is waylaid somewhere, we can find it.

9. Fryphile will start a new thread once he's sent the card to Boiler12 (or whomever is next on the final list). Each person will update with when he or she receives it and when he or she sends it on. That way we always know where it is. Check this thread frequently for updates.

10. If you've changed your mind about participating, please let me know ASAP. I would hate for someone who wasn't expecting it to have to spend the money to mail it on. But that shouldn't happen if we follow the 48-hour rule for PMs.

11. As of a week or so ago, Almighty Naji was scheduled to be last. I will find the best place to send the card when it is completed. I'm also hoping Naji or whomever ends up last can upload some photos of the card so that we all can see it, especially those who won't get to view many decorated pages. Not a must, however, if you can't.

12. I don't know how much the card (more likely a journal-style thing) will cost to send, but it shouldn't be much. If anyone has trouble with this, please let me know. I'll try to think of something. I don't want anyone not to participate because of costs.

13. Ginj has suggested that everyone keep photographs of their pages on the off-chance something happens to the original. These don't have to be shared unless you want to, but that creates a back-up for us.

14. If, at the end, any map gurus want to track how many miles the card traveled, that would be great.

15. I will make the US list next Thursday, March 26, and the rest of the world's list on Saturday, March 27 or Sunday, March 28.

I know this looks like a lot of rules. But we have to have them with snail mail or this might not work. And I so want it to work and for people to have fun. Our Mr. Fry loved the Valentine card, so he should enjoy this one, too.

If you think of anything I've forgotten, please post it here. I'd like to reserve this thread for specific card-related problems and questions. Other posts should probably go on the original card thread (shouts of jubilation, that sort of thing). And Fryphile will start an altogether new thread when he sends on the card. According to his post on the original card thread, it will likely be a journal-style book with everyone getting two pages to use. He will let us know.

Thanks, everyone!
PamJH

edited to change number of days participants can have the card to 2

Katrina

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 5:18am Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Okay, so stupid question, but just so I have it straight:

We do our own thing on one page and a picture of us with the whole journal situation on the other page?

When I take the picture of myself with the card, should I print it out and tape it, or are we still kind of waiting on a Photobucket account?

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 6:21am Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Your questions are far from stupid.

The way it looks right now, and Fryphile will tell us this weekend if it's going to be different (he will buy the journal this weekend), you have one page to decorate and one page to include a photo of yourself with the journal. If you don't want a picture of yourself, you can take a photo of the journal at some town landmark or something like that.

Yes, print it out and tape it in. We might still do the photobucket thing, but I'd like someone who has experience with that to handle it. I know nothing about photobucket. When we did the Valentine project, Monochromeprincess handled my contribution because I had no clue what to do.

So each person, as it stands right now, will have two facing pages to work with.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. And go Purdue!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 1:37pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Is the fluffetteforum account still on photobucket, cos we could just use that account again to upload photo's of our pages and pics so theres a back up copy in case of accidents

Hope

Member *

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 1:40pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Just wanted to say that this is sounding really brilliant and I'm getting increasingly excited about taking part.
It's going to look so ace with pictures from all around the world and everyone's messages. Eee!

The rules were definitely a good idea. Now it's completely sorted.

Help

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 2:35pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Rules were great Pam, well needed.
I have no idea what to put in mine

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 2:51pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Is the fluffetteforum account still on photobucket, cos we could just use that account again to upload photo's of our pages and pics so theres a back up copy in case of accidents

That's a good idea, Tallyg.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 3:54pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Brilliant lay out of the rules, Pam. I think once it gets going, it'll make more sense. The pictures are just to show off your home town to Stephen and to show how far the book has traveled in his honor. Like Pam said, you'll get two open-faced pages, one for the pic and the other for your happy birthday sentiments to Stephen.

I took the liberty of creating a new album in our Fluffette Photobucket account. It's called "Birthday Card". Click that and upload your birthday photos there so they don't get mixed in with the Valentine's cards. As I understand it, this will be used as back up in case something calamitous happens to the book. *shudder*

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

PamJH

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 4:28pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan

I took the liberty of creating a new album in our Fluffette Photobucket account. It's called "Birthday Card". Click that and upload your birthday photos there so they don't get mixed in with the Valentine's cards. As I understand it, this will be used as back up in case something calamitous happens to the book. *shudder*

This is brilliant and thank you so much for getting us started. I'll have the US list made by Thursday morning so you can send the journal-card on and start the new thread. You're a peach.

Help

Posted Sat Mar 21st, 2009 6:05pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
[quote="Fryphile"]Brilliant lay out of the rules, Pam. I think once it gets going, it'll make more sense. The pictures are just to show off your home town to Stephen and to show how far the book has traveled in his honor. Like Pam said, you'll get two open-faced pages, one for the pic and the other for your happy birthday sentiments to Stephen.

[/quote
*shudder* indeed!
Thank you for making a new Photobuckety thing, it amuses me that it's pink

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 5:01pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
After four bookshops, fondling dozens of innocent journals, pondering the passions of all, I decided on

There were plenty of professionally drab journals, but this one had the size (pages are 5 1/2 inches by 8 ), thickness (I should say thinness cuz it has room for 90 birthday wishes/pics. Didn't want it too thick since it would cost more to mail and all those blank pages at the end would look lonely), it will be recognizable in all the pictures and not likely to blend into the background, and lastly it's difficult to seperate Stephen from pink. And on the inside cover, I was thinking of writing, "We mean this in a pink, slightly special way . . ."

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Hope

Member *

Posted Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 5:15pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Fryphile, the journal and you are both entirely wonderful and brilliant.
"We mean this in a pink, slightly special way . . ." in the cover is perhaps the best idea EVER, too. It's so beautiful and pink and gorgeous.... It's going to look lovely all filled up, wasn't expecting a journal as beautiful as that one - amazing choice.

Edit: Just showed my mum the journal. She loves it too. Thanks for getting one so pink and fluffy!

PamJH

Posted Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 5:23pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Fryphile, this is absolutely perfect. You've done well, old thing, and I mean that in a pink, slightly special way. By Thursday you'll know where to send it.

Thanks so much for helping out.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 6:09pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
Fryphile, the journal and you are both entirely wonderful and brilliant.
I have to agree with this whole-heartedly. It is a perfect choice for all of the reasons that you have mentioned, and we really do appreciate you putting so much thought and effort into finding the perfect journal.

Soph

Posted Sun Mar 22nd, 2009 6:24pm Post subject: Card project - Here's the plan
*squeeees* OHMYGOSH. I hadn't imagined such a beautiful, elegantly delightful journal presented before my eyes!
I'm stunned by what fluffy, pink, gorgeousness that is our journal. ^_____^ It has Fry's Fluffettes written all over it. ; ]

Thank you so, so much Fryphile. It is absolute perfection. You're a star. : ]
(I know it isn't the right thread to squee, bounce and glomp but I had to express how much I love this.) *bounce-glomps*
P.S. You should go with your little, fluffy message.

Photobucket