Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

mudpup

Posted Wed Aug 10th, 2011 12:20am Post subject: Catholic church

As an ex catholic who thinks the church is a force for evil I was so happy, although a few years late, to see the debate on utube. I remember the church as being the source of major guiltly feelings in my life and am extreemly pleased that an articulated individual such as yourself was able to express my sentiments so clearly as you did. Well done not just for me but the billions who have shed the yolk of guilt and oppresion - thank you.

ScotsPine

Posted Wed Sep 21st, 2011 1:28pm Post subject: Catholic church

It makes sense to apply guilt if you want to exert control and encourage people to come to confession. As a non-Catholic, it's difficult to relate to how Catholics describe their experiences of how the Catholic Church has affected their lives. Reformed churches may not be perfect but the fact that their ministers are not considered to be on a higher plane or closer to God than the flock, let alone infallible, means that there is possibly less scope for them to exert a malign influence over their parishioners. They are also subject to the laws of the land like everyone else, rather than having Roman law with its own separate rules.

ScotsPine

Posted Tue Sep 27th, 2011 12:06pm Post subject: Catholic church

Oops. I meant canon law...

Bottiglieri

Posted Thu Oct 27th, 2011 9:36pm Post subject: Catholic church

It is often hard to articulate thoughts on a topic with very personal emotional relevance. Something that matters. Stephen you often rescue me and most others I expect with your brilliant rhetoric. A true orator.

Your speech on you-tube was phenomenal. Thank you for being you, and inspiring me to play with language, encourage style and quite simply entertain my imagination with you fantastic metaphors.

Broadcasting podcast: "The great oak must have its branches chopped" something along those lines.

Bottiglieri

Posted Thu Oct 27th, 2011 9:37pm Post subject: Catholic church

I could of picked a better metaphor. I'll come back soon to edit that comment.