Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maniac

Posted Mon May 28th, 2007 10:44pm Post subject: CBT
I went to one group session of CBT but was so depressed by it, I didn't go again!
It was awful.
I was in a relatively well state at the time but the room was full of others who were not as lucky.

Has anyone done a course of it?
Was it a group thing or on your own?

Has anyone got good experiences? Bad?

Is there any point to it if we are stuck with this for life anyway?

Just wondering about your thoughts.
(As I'm still spiralling downwards with mine)

Fourth Feline

Posted Mon May 28th, 2007 11:30pm Post subject: CBT
Hiya,

Yes, I was initiated on a long ( one on one ) course of C.B.T about 30 years ago. It took some real effort to challenge my bad habits, but I feel that it genuinely helped in the longer term.

I found that it gets better with practice and is meant to compliment , not replace any drug therapy we may also be on.

I find that it is even more important to practice these techniques because we have a life long illness. We need to get ever better at managing our internal distortions to counter-balance the depression e.t.c.

I can imagine it was a difficult session for you because:

1) You were in a room full of people whose own mind states were depressing to witness - ( like being hospitalised )

2) It was the first time you may have had to challenge some quite fundamental internal assumptions.

I still practice using it 30 years on, it's not easy - but I think it is worthwhile.

I'd say "stick at it".

All the best,

F.F.

Maniac

Posted Mon May 28th, 2007 11:39pm Post subject: CBT
Thanks.
It was a while ago and I've been well for ages.
I'm now going down... and am just thinking about things.
x

panda

Posted Wed May 30th, 2007 12:58pm Post subject: CBT
Hi Maniac

Hope you're feeling better now.

I just wondered if I could ask - why was it bad and made you depressed? I've heard lots about it, a couple of people i've heard have had bad reactions from it, just wondered why that was.

Maniac

Posted Wed May 30th, 2007 1:44pm Post subject: CBT
Hi Panda.
I'm feeling a lot better for some strange reason - seems a bit quick.
I'm not complaining though.

I think it was the fact that I was well at the time - if not a little too well, and being in a room full of depressed/anxious/emotional people made me come down and feel awful.
They had some awful stories to tell and were not well people.
If I had been depressed as well, it may have helped in the long run but the fact that it brought me down when I was well, put me off going back.
I know a lot of people have had good experiences from it.

Take care
Maniac