Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

beltolley

Posted Sat Jul 17th, 2010 7:01pm Post subject: celebrating the BBC (and convincing others of the need for it)

Dear fellow people who love Stephen Fry, I need your help

Like a lot of people on here, I believe that Britain is an immeasurably nicer country for having the BBC. This first hit me when I was about fourteen or fifteen, watching a repeat of the Likely Lads on BBC2. This was two brilliant actors playing out a sad, biting and very funny story about two friends who had drifted apart, presented with no pretentiousness or self-importance, and with no great chunk cut out of the middle to sell us things. I found myself thinking about how much it would cost to see this sort of work in a theatre, and how fewer people it would reach. Over the years I've started thinking a lot about the cumulative good done by the BBC, the scientific knowledge shared, the knowledge about our history as a nation, the bands or artists listened to, the writers exposed to and of course the jokes shared. But how do you communicate this to others?

Bel Tolley

Ambrosia

Posted Sun Jul 18th, 2010 3:29pm Post subject: celebrating the BBC (and convincing others of the need for it)

I agree with all you've said, Bel. I don't know how many people I've heard say that they don't agree with the licence fee and they would do without the BBC and watch all those channels with adverts instead. I try to convince them that the BBC enriches our lives and that not everything should be aimed at the lowest common denominator which is what often seems to happen when only viewing figures are considered to be important. I can't imagine British life without the BBC and I hope I'm not around ever to see that happen.

beltolley

Posted Sun Jul 18th, 2010 3:38pm Post subject: celebrating the BBC (and convincing others of the need for it)

It is hard work convincing people though. Is it worth starting to write to local newspapers, the Metro, etc? There has to be a lot of us.

the first thing to point out is that the licence fee is essentially a tax, and it's a tax going towards something most people in Britain make use of.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Aug 12th, 2010 1:55pm Post subject: celebrating the BBC (and convincing others of the need for it)

Ambrosia said:
I can't imagine British life without the BBC and I hope I'm not around ever to see that happen.

I can't imagine a world without the BBC either. I really don't want to see it go or change from what it is. That is to horrible to contemplate. I don't bother with commercial tv so much these days. Most of what I watch I can watch or listen to on the BBC iPlayer. I wish though the BBC wouldn't try and join in with the other channels and pander to the LCD, doing dull daytime lifestyle shows or these endless talent shows. Leave that guff to ITV.

Assuming direct control...