Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

RobertBruce

Posted Tue Mar 10th, 2009 12:58pm Post subject: Chimney Sweep or Bob The Builder?
It seems clear that a territorial fight is on the go between the crows, jackdaws and magpie/crowlike birds for the right to build nests on the chimney pots.

I don't want them to do it but cannot climb up to make some arrangement to dissuade them from trying.

Anyway my dilemma is:

Who do I call to come and work some chimneypot protection magic? The chimneysweep or Bob the builder?

Thanks in anticipation of your valued responses.

Be well

RB

Help

Posted Tue Mar 10th, 2009 2:54pm Post subject: Chimney Sweep or Bob The Builder?
Can either of them actually do anything?
Apart from putting barbwire on there it's not likely that if they go away, they'll stay away.
I'd go fo Bob the Builder, if he fails you can always call he chimneysweep.
Shame though, don't really want them fighting with each other.
Plus, Magpies are great

RobertBruce

Posted Tue Mar 10th, 2009 5:55pm Post subject: Chimney Sweep or Bob The Builder?
Thanks Help.

My view is that as the problem relates to a chimney, then a sweep should/could attend to it BUT as it involves 'build' then maybe Bob should get the call.

OK I'll go with Bob!

Maxx England

Posted Thu Mar 12th, 2009 1:02pm Post subject: Chimney Sweep or Bob The Builder?
I assume you can still buy the wire "birdcages" from builders' merchants. All you need is enough of them for your dwelling, and someone suitably equipped with, and qualified to use, a nice long ladder.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Ffrioserch

Posted Thu Mar 12th, 2009 8:05pm Post subject: Chimney Sweep or Bob The Builder?
My husband is a chimney sweep and is regualrly asked to remove Jackdaw nests (crows don't nest in chimneys). The best defence is to have a bird guard fitted to the chimney pot. This is a cage of wire mesh that is either placed into the pot or wired round the top. Some chimney sweeps will do this for you and cost will vary from area to area. Some builders will also do this, it depends if you want to get a few quotes in first, you may find a chimney sweep a bit cheaper.

If you have a nest in there already, it will have to be removed (chimney sweep again!) and the cage put on the pot straight away as the Jackdaws will come back and start all over again.