Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Dabees

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 8:41pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
I've just returned from the Doctors (having put it off for so long) and he has prescribed this drug for me. Does any of you lovely people out there know anything about it?

Has anyone else been prescribed this? If so what are your thoughts about it? I'd love to hear any pros and cons before i start taking it.

Many thanks for any replies.

Dabees

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 11:30pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
Have had this prescription... is non addictive unlike other SSRIs and moderate in effect without side effects generally.BUT PLEASE READ PATIENT INFO LEAFLET WITH MEDICATION to see if any of the advice applies to you personally.

Doctors prescribe it cos it doesn't have strong mood affect... just sort of gently raises you up. Its important to take citalopram (in particular) regularly ie every day because it has a shorter half life than most other anti depressants... ie it metabolises quickly in the body so the dose needs to be evenly maintained - best to read about this if this isn't very clear. Also follow doctor's advice about reduction or changing the prescription. Anti depressants become effective after 8 - 15 days or so.

Hope this is helpful but i strongly recommend you make your decisions based on your doctor's or pharmacist's (any pharmacist) advice.

chrisb

Dabees

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 11:34pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
thanks ChrisB, just the kind of information i needed. But, what did it do for you?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 11:56pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
basically i have been undergoing psychotherapy, and after quite a long time, when i felt i had got some way with the issues driving the situation my doctor and I agreed that it would help to get a slight lift, to help in making it stick. My theory, which he agrees with, is that having a lighter mood gives me the chance to 'learn' what it feels like, learn to live in that mood, and after a time I will maintain that without the citalopram cos I know what it feels like. The point is that I didn't use it to 'solve' problems. My psychiatrist and I did that first, then got a hand to make life easier, so I could concentrate on staying where I'd got too. Does that make any sense to you?

what is it like?

for me, quite quickly it made me feel more open, optimistic, less catastophising. My diagnosis is not Bipolar, but depression was an aspect of what was going on., but then feeling more secure in my life allowed me to feel more optimistic anyway.

it's difficult to describe 'what its like'

...back to 'Shameless'...the mcguires have just sussed who's nicked the scratchcard (C4 now)

best wishes chrisb

Fourth Feline

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 6:46pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
I had positive results with Escitalopram ( a slightly 'cleaner' version).

I do however, have two friends that have used straight Citalopram to good effect, but they were Uni-polar or reactive depression types.

Mercifully there were no real side effects on the loading phase, or the maintenance phases, bit there were strange "'electric shocks down the legs when walking" effects during withdrawl for about two months.

I was taking it in Tandem with Depakote (Sodium Valproate). To prevent the slight highs ( I am Bi-Polar II ).

It worked in a gentle but effective way.

I only changed over to Moclobemide, because my Consultant and I wanted to see how I responded to a slightly more "activating" drug.

Dabees

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 10:29pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
Thanks for the comments Fourth Feline, I am really happy that you mentioned your friends experiences with the drug. Specifically the electric shocks down the legs incident. I was rushed to hospital on Saturday night after only two days on the drug.

It started with the electric shock in the legs and eventually raised my blood pressure enough to make me faint. My girlfriend called an ambulance on my behalf and i was taken to the local A & E. Once i came round i realised where i was and was quite embarrassed to be in hospital.

I have never been certain about taking antidepressants, and now I'm totally convinced it's not for me. I don't know what route to take now? But i know drugs aren't the route for me.

Thanks for your input, it's been invaluable.

Dabees

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 11:53am Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
Dear Dabees - i'm a little sad to see people limit their choices when they don't neccessarily need to.

have you considered the possibility that several things have happened here that might not accord with your interpretation of taking the drug?

you say that you began to get the sensation of electric shocks in your legs and "eventually raised my blood pressure enough to make me faint". you were told in Fourth Feline's post that s/he had this effect on withdrawal, so you were possibly looking for this to happen. it's perfectly normal to be on guard for this BUT it might have set up an anticipatory fear of this happening which could result in an anxiety about this. when this did happen your fear was confimed, and more directly, this heightened your anxiety, resulting inphysiological stress (adrenaline etc) increasing blood pressure, giving yet more anxiety etc resulting in your journey to the A&E. if this is how it went, aquestion for you to answer, not me, then was the real cause for the events more your thoughts about using the drug than the drug itself.

FF has already said that it happened to her ( the sensation of electric shocks) and it is clear that she survived this because she put up the post subsequent to this happening.

a second thing that strikes me is that your starting point about using the medication seemed to be scepticism in that you felt you needed to get other people's views on this beyond the prescribing doctor's opinion, to the extent that you were factoring other people's views into whether to use this drug or not. However it seems to me that you have quite selectively screened the information that sipports your scepticism. you started the prescription - true - but out of the responses from FF and myself only one of 4 examples has a negative connotation _ the electric shocks - and all five 'cases quoted - myself, FF and her two friends - speciffically state that there were no bad sideeffects in the taking up and maintenance of the prescription. However you have taken these and your own experience to generate the belief "...i know drugs aren't the route for me" Drugs collectively, note.

in all the above we have a set of negative thoughts and a globalised belief, as the outcome of two days on a medication. thats all fine cos your the person in charge of what you do, but i'd put this to you. there is a cost associated with your interpretation. you will never know whether thid particular drug could help you. you will never know if any form of a/d medication can help you. you will never know if your doctor was correct in his treatment, and your view of his/her competence to help you will be further diminished. and of course, if the medication would have helped you it wont now, leaving you in the position you started in but more sceptical of medical resoponses to your situation.

it was stated by both respondents that a/ds take a period of 1 - 2 weeks to have any positive effect. other points mentioned were that people try a particular drug but may find that a simmilar but different specific drug can then be seen to be more targeted to the individual. it is not an exact science. i mentioned that my prescription was in conjuction with other (psychotherapeutic) responses.

you ask "I don't know what route to take now?" i would ask you what route do you feel you should take now? is it the route based on a selective reading of others' views. grasp the nettle and see if you can get in touch with what you really feel within you. i think you will find more than you expect.

with best wishes chris

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 3:49pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
Dear Dabees,

Fourth Feline here again ( I am a chap by the way , but I guess you could say I am i touch with my feline side )

Please do not give up on medication altogether. I must have tried a dozen or so over the years with differing effects. In one case, a medication that worked for me 23 years ago - but does not work for me now. For example I am now on Moclobemide, which has given me no side effects (now there is a surprise).

Funnily enough enough, sometimes the medications that worked best for me in the long run, were often the ones that had the worst side effects to begin with !

I must also say that the "electric shocks in the legs" were nothing more than an amusing distraction once I had been on the internet and read that a lot of people get them temporarily. I was just glad to avoid nausea, so my perspective was biased towards the tolerant when I got the shocks !

It is a (sometimes long) trial and error process, trying each drug for up to 2-3 months and then changing or adding other things if needed. I am still in this experimental phase after over 30 years, but nevertheless still believe that medications have greatly improved my condition, even if not 100 % yet.

My consultant reminded me last week, that some folks just never get 100% relief, but what relief you eventually do get is certainly worth the experimenting and the waiting in my experience.

Meanwhile, you are amongst friends here

All the best ,

Derek.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 4:58pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
"Meanwhile, you are amongst friends here".

I second that thought.

Ps my cat Lucy can count up to 24 which is rather cool.

C

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 5:42pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
That is one smart cat Chris !

Mine cannot match that degree of numeracy, but have done so much to keep me alive and stay hopeful that I am beginning to think they deserve at least some honorary medical qualifications.

What would we do without them eh ?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Feb 7th, 2007 8:01pm Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
It would be a catastrophe!

Thanks

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 1:50am Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
Cats contain cumulative contentment

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 2:35am Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
what did you decide to do, Dabees, carry on with the medication or abandon it on the basis of your automatic thoughts? It would be interesting to know, if, having asked for advice, what notice you took of it, meaning whether it made sense for you or you chose a different course of action

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 4:59am Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
Thanks for the comments Fourth Feline, I am really happy that you mentioned your friends experiences with the drug. Specifically the electric shocks down the legs incident. I was rushed to hospital on Saturday night after only two days on the drug.

It started with the electric shock in the legs and eventually raised my blood pressure enough to make me faint. My girlfriend called an ambulance on my behalf and i was taken to the local A & E. Once i came round i realised where i was and was quite embarrassed to be in hospital.

I have never been certain about taking antidepressants, and now I'm totally convinced it's not for me. I don't know what route to take now? But i know drugs aren't the route for me.

Thanks for your input, it's been invaluable.

Dabees

Are you bipolar or unipolar? If bipolar, give Paxil a go. Doesn't tend to induce mania like citalopram can.

becc

Posted Mon Mar 26th, 2007 11:35am Post subject: Citalopram Hydrobromide. Any experiences of this?
Citaolpram gave me a few strange side effects, but I've found I'm quite sensitive to side effects from SSRIs. I've been on escitalopram instead for a while now, whcih is similar, but calmer, I think.