Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ManicTypist

Posted Sun Jun 9th, 2013 9:58am Post subject: close call

Hi all and especially hi to Stephen Fry.

I've been a fan of your work for many years and I admire the work you do for people suffering depression, bipolar disorder, et al.
Thanks for all you do and for providing this site & forum which I know will support and help bring to many.

I'm new here, but wanted to share with you my own little story.

I recently discovered I'm bipolar. I've gone through several bad years with my 2nd marriage crumbling and recently ending in divorce. I put my depression down to that. I felt like I had nothing left to live for. During one of my darkest periods, I started to think that it would be better just to end it all and that the world would be better without me.

A voice told me to wait.

Within the next week I got the call to donate bone marrow. As I was an exact match for the recipient, I was assured they couldn't survive without my help.

Suddenly my life had meaning again and I felt better through the process of helping someone else.

What I learned was this: there's always tomorrow and the hope of something better. We all go through 'storms' in our lives ... but it is always a temporary bad spell and sooner or later ... brighter days await us all.

Never give up!

PS:
Apologies for the glitch in the repeat posting of this one - unsure what I did wrong - I must need more coffee

Popeye

Posted Sun Jun 9th, 2013 10:39pm Post subject: close call

First of all - Welcome to the forum ManicTypist!
And secondly WOW that is Great that you could save someone's life - so brave and selfless, truly inspiring!

Everyday should be Fryday!
Soupy Twist!

ManicTypist

Posted Sun Jul 14th, 2013 11:58am Post subject: close call

Thanks, Popeye, for the welcome and feedback. I still struggle with my bipolar disorder. Some days are darker than others. But, the experience of getting the call to help someone like that has given me cause to pause. During my dark times, I reflect on that experience and tell myself that tomorrow is another day and I should stick around to see what new opportunities may come, and if nothing happens tomorrow, then something good might happen the next day.
I hope my story helps others.