Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

bloomfy71

Posted Thu Nov 22nd, 2012 3:20pm Post subject: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

Probably the wrong sounding board to submit this, however, just watched Stephens two parter: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive. Difficult subject to discuss about, but would like some assistance on the matter.
I am suffering from depression, not quite in the same form as Stephen as I dont have euphoric highs of mania, however, I do get low on a daily basis. Suffering from lack of motivation, bad diet, feeling lethargic etc. Had this now for a few years after major setback, affecting my job, relationship, family. Tried anti-depressants, St Johns Wart to no avail.
CBT has been mentioned on Mind website. Was hoping if any other members on here have had used this form of therapy and if it would work for me. Look forward to any feeback (if any!) being negative ! soz ha

Rose

Posted Sat Nov 24th, 2012 12:11am Post subject: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

Hey Bloomfy71,
Why not give it a go? Some years ago this would have been useful to me, but, depression being what it is, I could not see past my absolute belief that nobody could help me. So, if you are asking about it, why not go try it?

greentree

Posted Sun Nov 25th, 2012 11:55am Post subject: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

Hello

There are lots of different talking therapies out there - CBT, DBT, Psychodynamic psychotherapy, psychoanalysis, person centered, counselling..... there are loads!
Not every type works for every person, and some people know they probably won't get on with a particular sort. I knew I didn't want CBT, and my therapist (psychodynamic psychotherapy) thinks it would probably have made me worse actually, due to the type of therapy it is and they way my head works.

Of course you won't really know what suits you until you try, or do a bit more reading about the sorts of therapy out there. If you think CBT would be helpful for you, then give it a go - it does help lots of people.

No sig.

WhyGenTom

Posted Mon Nov 26th, 2012 10:49pm Post subject: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

CBT will only work if you let it work. I went through a few months of it a couple of years ago when I was depressed but I suffered a rather predictable catch 22. I couldn't motivate myself to engage in what was being asked of me... it's a bit like when they say exercise cures depression. Well, from personal experience, getting a pair of trainers on and going for a run each morning is the last thing I feel like doing when I'm feeling down. In all honestly though I went into CBT very negatively and without much hope of being able to engage which defeated the object of even trying.

That was me though, and although I'm sure many others suffer the same problem, I'm not knocking it at all. I don't doubt for a second that it works and if you're in a position where you're thinking "hey, this could be a route to try..." then it's certainly worth a go because you're at least going into it with an open mind. Best of luck

Wilde Woman

Posted Sat Dec 1st, 2012 5:28pm Post subject: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)

Greentree is right... loads of talking therapies out there. I'd just add that it is not only down to the type of therapy but the therapist themselves. It's really important that you feel you can talk openly and be totally honest with them; that you feel safe, acknowledged and respected by them.

None of them should ever talk down to you or advise you. They act as catalysts to help unravel the knots that get tangled. They should be holding your hand (metaphorically speaking) on your journey for what you want to get sorted.

So once you've decided which therapy to try, don't be afraid to speak up if the counsellor/therapist you get is one you feel comfortable with. Tell them straight and ask if you could try another.

There's no point going ahead with any form of counselling with someone you know you're not going to be honest with as it will never work that well. Better to shop around if need be to get the one that is just right for you.
I had to do just that and it literally helped me to turn my life around. No counsellor/therapist should take offence if you want to ditch them for another because all of them should be putting your comfort/needs and well being first.

All best wishes Blookfy71 really hope you find the right one! x

My Blogsites:
http://mindwalking-ajournalofdiscovery.blogspot.com/
It's the one who haven't been assessed I'm scared of!