Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Aug 6th, 2007 4:07pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
My parents bought this on dvd the other day because they watched it when it was first on. I was surprised to see some familiar faces among the cast like Joanna Lumley and Ian Mackellen (double yay I love Lumley and Mackellen). Kate Beckinsale was in it, oh and Stephen Fry was in it too. It was pretty funny. I loved how the residents of the farm kept repeating everything Aunt Ada said under their breaths because they'd obviously heard her say it so many times and I loved how they kept called Flora Robert Post's child. Ian Mackellen was ace as the fire and brimstone preacher:

"There'll be no butter in hell!"

Aww and poor Stephen running round after Beckinsale. I'd've gone for a walk with him.

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Aug 6th, 2007 5:33pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
I love that film, only watched it originally because Ian Mckellen was in it. Have watched it again since becoming a fan of Stephen Fry though

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Aug 6th, 2007 5:57pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
"I'm engorgingly in love with you!" I love amorous!Stephen. True, his character was a scumbag, but an attractive scumbag.

Admittedly, I watched only Stephen's bits and fast forwarded through the rest of it.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Aug 6th, 2007 6:06pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
"I'm engorgingly in love with you!" I love amorous!Stephen. True, his character was a scumbag, but an attractive scumbag.

Admittedly, I watched only Stephen's bits and fast forwarded through the rest of it.

You didn't! But it was a good program!

ratoutofhell

Posted Tue Aug 7th, 2007 12:26pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
I remember this when it was on telly It's one of my all-time favourite books (it's just so barking mad) and Stephen was perfect as Mybug. Had my doubts about Kate Beckinsale, though purely on the nerdy fan-girl grounds of her hair being the wrong colour X-D

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

The Oracle

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 2:51pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
"I'd take her too but she's too gloomy" :'(

Kaseryn

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 7:13pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
I watched this the other day originally just because Stephen is in it but found it a very enjoyable film all round!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 7:19pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
It is cool isn't it? Joanna Lumley is in it and Sir Ian Mackellen so more reasons for me to squee over this.

Kaseryn

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 1:07am Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
They're both brilliant. But really the film has a wonderful heart to it and doesn't come off anywhere near as corny as it ought to!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 8:53am Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
No it doesn't funnily enough.

StickyKeys

Posted Wed Oct 3rd, 2007 7:07pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm

Hee! *drrty mind*

I originally got this movie mixed up with that Wellbrook movie starring Kevin Klein and never got a chance to watch this. I'll have to check it out soon.

PamJH

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 4:50am Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm
Just watched this in honor of Fryday. Stephen was such a lovely creep and was certainly "soaked in nature's fecund blessing."

Now the kids keep saying they saw something nasty in the woodshed.

Help

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 12:15pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm

I did exactly the same thing, skipping the bits Stephen wasn't in!
Then it didn't make sense so I watched the whole thing again and it's tremendously funny

PamJH

Posted Sat Feb 28th, 2009 3:30pm Post subject: Cold Comfort Farm

I did exactly the same thing, skipping the bits Stephen wasn't in!
Then it didn't make sense so I watched the whole thing again and it's tremendously funny

Yes, it was. There were so many great lines, especially by Ian MacKellan (sp?). We've got it from the library so we'll watch it a couple of times before taking it back.