Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

chris m

Posted Sat Mar 3rd, 2007 10:35pm Post subject: "Cold face"?
I have a question for you Britishers: what does "cold face" mean in the context of UK politics? I think I first heard this on Absolute Power. Google hasn't been much help. Thanks.

boffinbabe12

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 1:56pm Post subject: "Cold face"?
I don't know- I love politics and I have no recollection of hearing that phrase before... that is porbably just me though... sorry!

ClareBear

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 6:49pm Post subject: "Cold face"?
If you mean "coal face" as in "at the coal face" then it's a coalmine....very much an issue in Thatcher's Britain.

Fourth Feline

Posted Sun Mar 4th, 2007 8:54pm Post subject: "Cold face"?
The phrase " Coal Face" is usually used in the context of " working at the coal face".

This is usually meant to represent any place where all the real hard work is done.

It is derived from the times when coal had to be laboriously hacked away at manually without aid of machines etc.

Someone in politics is thus said to be "working at the coal face" when getting out to meet the voters , especially those that may represent an opposing view and therefore be hard to work on.

F.F.

JVONEARTH

Posted Mon Mar 5th, 2007 1:23am Post subject: "Cold face"?
No the only words i know to do with British politics are Bullshit and Bollocks.
These words normally crop up just before voteing.
We promise to do the things we were meant to do last time you voted for us (bullshit).
We hope we can rely on your vote (bollocks)
X-D

chris m

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 1:33am Post subject: "Cold face"?
Coal face! Yeesh. Well that explains it. A quick perusal with my pal google indicates that the coal face is literally the end of the mine where the coal is, hence, dark and dirty. I think the US equivalent is "in the trenches." Thanks all!

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 7:39am Post subject: "Cold face"?
Does this mean politicians are constantly chopping away at average Joe Public day in day out with picks and shovels?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 8:22pm Post subject: "Cold face"?
Does this mean politicians are constantly chopping away at average Joe Public day in day out with picks and shovels?

if "picks and shovels" is a euphemism for "finding ways to get their hand on our hard-earned money" - I am afraid so (But must not grumble, where I am from originally, about one third of one´s monthly income goes towards taxes et al. )

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 8:27pm Post subject: "Cold face"?

if "picks and shovels" is a euphemism for "finding ways to get their hand on our hard-earned money" - I am afraid so (But must not grumble, where I am from originally, about one third of one´s monthly income goes towards taxes et al. )

Yes that was what i was metaphoring away at. One third? Where are you from Gerti?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 8:34pm Post subject: "Cold face"?

Yes that was what i was metaphoring away at. One third? Where are you from Gerti?

I suspected as much
The place is called Vienna...
But I have to add that people get paid 14 times a year, i.e. in June and December you get double your salary (and don´t look at the deductions unless you want to end up in the looney bin...)

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 8:57pm Post subject: "Cold face"?
Wow Vienna, Mozart! I've never been, but my parents are going next month. I'm Austrian in descent, so one day i'd really like to take a trip there, see what i'm missing out on.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 6:36pm Post subject: "Cold face"?
Wow Vienna, Mozart! I've never been, but my parents are going next month. I'm Austrian in descent, so one day i'd really like to take a trip there, see what i'm missing out on.

You are AUSTRIAN in descent Wow, what a pleasant surprise!
I hope your parents are having a spendid time in V - should be okay in April, weather-wise that is! And otherwise as well, of course!