Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ahoyhoy

Posted Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 7:11pm Post subject: Colin Firth?
Slip of the tongue there, Stephen ... Peter Firth plays Harry Pearce and was in Equus. Colin Firth is the one who plays all those parts that Hugh Grant turned down.

ClareBear

Posted Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 7:32pm Post subject: Colin Firth?

Harry Pearce disapproves.

Eibhlin

Posted Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 8:47am Post subject: Colin Firth?
He's no Mr. Darcy! Point of apology at begining of next episode? Love the podgrams, wish they could be more frequent.

Beatrice!

Posted Wed Sep 3rd, 2008 12:05pm Post subject: Colin Firth?
That's exactly what I was thinking. There'll be a lot of bemused POGs* down at the Spooks Information Forum! X-D
Other than that, I thought it was a marvellous podcast. A good ole rant makes the world go round in my opinion!

*POG= Peter Obsessed Girl

Rockit

Posted Mon Sep 15th, 2008 8:39pm Post subject: Colin Firth?
Spooks is quite simply the best thing on TV. Excellent suspense, you could almost believe it were real & I can't wait for the next series.

Two things that I do wonder:
1. Why the great man wasn't able to name Spooks as the DVD he watches to pass the time while doing something else
2. Why is it not called Spooks in the USA? They call it MI-5, which may be because Spooks has come to mean something else

PS best not to pick on Stephen's first name confusion, most of us share the inability to remember names well!

Cheers
David

dulieGirl

Posted Mon Sep 15th, 2008 10:59pm Post subject: Colin Firth?
2. Why is it not called Spooks in the USA? They call it MI-5, which may be because Spooks has come to mean something else
It's because spook is a word used more to describe ghosts, than spies, even though it does also carry that meaning. Just most people in the US would assume something paranormal about the show with that title. And also, it just sounds kind of silly to my ears and to others I know who also watch the show. MI-5 is just a tougher sounding show than Spooks. It was a good choice on the BBC to decided to change the title for American audiences.

autumnranger

Posted Tue Sep 16th, 2008 3:06am Post subject: Colin Firth?
The reason I heard for using MI5 instead of Spooks is the latter (Spooks) was a derogatory term used for black people. I just don't remember which episode that commentary was on. Oh those early dvds just had so many extras your brain bursts just contemplating the material served.

The latest dvd release in the US is anemic compared to the early releases...

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Sep 16th, 2008 6:57am Post subject: Colin Firth?
its totally b/c its derogatory slang for a African American

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Sep 16th, 2008 10:50pm Post subject: Colin Firth?
Interesting. I've heard quite a bit of derogatory slang for African Americans but I don't think I've ever heard spook used before.

ClareBear

Posted Tue Sep 16th, 2008 11:39pm Post subject: Colin Firth?
It's one of my nicknames.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Sep 17th, 2008 7:57am Post subject: Colin Firth?
Interesting. I've heard quite a bit of derogatory slang for African Americans but I don't think I've ever heard spook used before.

That reminds me of Philip Roth's novel "the human stain", in which the word is (willingly) misunderstood: A college professor is accused of racism after calling two black students spooks because they had never shown up: "Do they exist or are they spooks?" Eventually, he is forced to resign.

ClareBear

Posted Wed Sep 17th, 2008 11:38am Post subject: Colin Firth?
That's exactly what I was thinking. There'll be a lot of bemused POGs* down at the Spooks Information Forum! X-D

*brandishes a mop*

Ctrl+Alt+Del

Posted Thu Sep 18th, 2008 1:47am Post subject: Colin Firth?

It's a bit of an older phrase, I suppose, but it's still amazingly offensive. Forms of it are making a comeback in reference to persons of Arabic descent.

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Sep 19th, 2008 12:39am Post subject: Colin Firth?
the human stain book and the movie with Anthony Hopkins is a classic example but yes it is a much older term.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Sep 23rd, 2008 8:36am Post subject: Colin Firth?

I've only ever heard it once and that was in Back To The Future.

Assuming direct control...